Pies poach Balme to replace Rocket

Remove this Banner Ad

17 other clubs in the afl is everything wrong in the world today , jealousy envey and just plan idiots

But not all 17 clubs are lib enough to blatantly poach other peoples staff, that's the key! Especially the ones that understand the morality of it (as McGuire has acknowledged the disharmony it causes and how unfair it is), yet does it meaning it was only a psychopathic lib tactic to manipulate the perception of others for his own self gain. No morality just anything for self interest, It's like the right winger commanded leftist like sympathy (public whinge about morality and poaching) to justify is right actions of doing what he just basically condemned. Rothschild Mcguire

Last edited:

if true then I'm very happy with this. One of the bigger mistakes we made in recent years was letting Balme go

Classy club

It's got nothing to do with class.
They have no legal grounds over Balme.
If a contracted employee was induced to break his contract by a rival club at this stage of the season, they would seek compensation.

A few thoughts:

1. Yes Geelong does deserve compensation... but probably not a whole lot. The lack of a written contract means that it is hard to prove what the actual conditions were. What stops Balme from coming out and saying there was always an understanding that he could walk away whenever he wanted? If that was the case - then Geelong wouldn't have any grounds for compensation. Also must be taken into account is that Geelong has already announced a replacement: which suggests that they have probably been a part of this discussion for a while.

2. I think (or at least hope) that Collingwood will come out and publicly agree to a compensation deal with the Cats. Eddie understands the value of good PR, and right now we need it.

3. I am not entirely sold on bringing Balme back... but having said that, I don't think any of us external would be good at judging the type of job that people behind the scenes do. He has great credentials, and already has a good relationship with the club, but I wonder if we would've been better off getting someone completely fresh.

2. I think (or at least hope) that Collingwood will come out and publicly agree to a compensation deal with the Cats. Eddie understands the value of good PR, and right now we need it.

Let's be honest, Eddie could cure cancer and people would still find a way to have a dig at Collingwood. I don't think he'll be worrying about PR of any kind

So tell me how a written contract would have helped Geelong find a replacement for Balme?
If you had a legal contract you would of been able to seek compensation due to the breach of contract which would of helped with replacement costs it isn't rocket science

Lots of talk of oral and written contracts - some contracts needn't be in writing, but the point is there was no extended contract here at all, verbal or otherwise.

Geelong isn't even requesting compensation so you'd think there's no chance Collingwood will pay any, and nor should they.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brian Cook said he would have sought compensation in the Eade situation as he was a contracted executive poached late in the planning process for season 2015.

This sort of post is just dumb. He's a hypocrite how?
picard-facepalm.jpg

Balme just said on Sen that there will be no compensation to Geelong as he is just a regular club employee

He did not have a contract with Geelong , but he will be signing a contract with Collingwood
'Regular club employees' have contracts, written or not.

Facepalm? Pfffft! Please have a think about it for two seconds. Eddie has not stated that we will not have pay compensation at this stage, so how is he a hypocrite?

Even then, Geelong have stated that they will not ask for it because he is not contracted. They also stated that they would have pursued compensation if he was contracted.

But keep on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies poach Balme to replace Rocket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back