List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how many list changes we have to make come seasons end, but here is my take.

Reitre -
David Hille
NLM - (Will mostly have a development position at the club)

IIRC - All of these players are out of contract

Trade Potential/Delist/Depth/Seek opportunities elsewhere -

Alex Browne (20) - Someone who we must retain. I feel as though he could be developed into a similar type to Baugley but with a lot more pace. Showed more then enough signs that he has the potential to be a best 22 player. I'd offer him a 2 year contract.

Travis Colyer (21) - Stagnated a bit and hasn't really taken his opportunities when given. Would not be opposed to giving him another year, perhaps on the rookie list. I don't believe he'll get a game at most clubs. Would be a handy pick up for Melbourne or GWS. Would get game time at Port Adelaide & Western Bulldogs as well.

Luke Davis (20) - I've seen him play a bit, and he is just way to far down the pecking order to get a game in our midfield. IIRC out of contract this year. As mentioned before not sure how many list changes we have to make. I'd retain him for another year (IIRC out of contract come seasons end). Unlikely to get a game.

Cory Dell'Olio (23) - I thought he played some pretty selfish and non accountable football when he was in the side last year. Would hope he wouldn't a game at all and then be delisted this year. Have changed my tune on that. A total 180. 22 goals in the VFL & his defensive pressure is way up. Would rookie upgrade him and give him a 1 year contract. I think he'll replace Alwyn Davey very quickly.

Scott Gumbleton (24) - As much as it pains me to say, and as much as I'd love him to stay and be a best 22 player. Trade him. I think a 2nd round draft pick is more then acceptable for someone who has played 33 games in 7 years. Would love it if he stayed and was able to get a regular spot in the side. Not sure how though.

Kyle Hardingham (24) - I think his done well when he has been in the side this year. Thought he'd come in against Carlton last week, but didn't. Fit & healthy, running around the VFL playing some good football. Would be a very handy player for Melbourne/GWS/Port Adelaide/Western Bulldogs/St Kilda. Would not be surprised if Ross Lyon took a punt on him as well. A 3rd to 4th round draft pick would be acceptable. Would be very surprised to him on our list next year.

Hal Hunter (19) - A long way off it. Has played some great football at VFL level, but that's all he'll be, a decent VFL player. Love the beard. Delist at seasons end, doubt another club would pick him. Continue to play VFL for Essendon.

Leroy Jetta (24) - An interesting one. To good for the VFL, but can't really recreate that form at AFL level. Hasn't taken the opportunities with both hands when he has come into the side. I think he'll most likely request a trade. Not sure how many teams would be in line for him. With his young family, I don't see him going back home and seems pretty settled in Melbourne. I think with Gia most likely retiring at seasons end, he'd be a handy pick up for Western Bulldogs. Would excel under a new coach at Melbourne as well. A 3rd to 4th round draft pick.

Nick O'Brien (19) - Showed some really good signs when he got a chance last year. Another must retain for me, like Browne, a 2 year contract.

Tayte Pears (23) - Another interesting one. Probably our best player at VFL level, but with our improved defence at VFL, he just hasn't been able to have a crack. West Coast/Fremantle would be interested. 3rd round draft pick or a swap for a fringe player at either clubs.

Ariel Steinberg (20) - Being a project player with potential, I think he'll get another year on our rookie list. We don't have many utility type players, and he has been able to play both Forward & Defence with decent results. Another year on the rookie list for mine.

Anyone keen on Matthew Lobbe? Would be a very handy depth ruckman to have. Might cost to much though.

I'm not sure how many list changes we have to make come seasons end, but here is my take.

Leroy Jetta (24) - An interesting one. To good for the VFL, but can't really recreate that form at AFL level. Hasn't taken the opportunities with both hands when he has come into the side. I think he'll most likely request a trade. Not sure how many teams would be in line for him. With his young family, I don't see him going back home and seems pretty settled in Melbourne. I think with Gia most likely retiring at seasons end, he'd be a handy pick up for Western Bulldogs. Would excel under a new coach at Melbourne as well. A 3rd to 4th round draft pick.

Pretty sure Jetta has another year to go on his contract.

I don't see Browne as a must-sign. He's show glimpses yes, but this year has shown that Colyer, Hams, Merrett, Kavanagh and Jetta have gone past him in the midfield, at least in the eyes of the coaches. Yes, he could be a Half-Back, but the fact that whenever Dempsey has missed they'd rather send Heppell or Goddard back and send in another midfielder speaks for itself.

Of course I could be completely off the mark here.

I don't see Browne as a must-sign. He's show glimpses yes, but this year has shown that Colyer, Hams, Merrett, Kavanagh and Jetta have gone past him in the midfield, at least in the eyes of the coaches. Yes, he could be a Half-Back, but the fact that whenever Dempsey has missed they'd rather send Heppell or Goddard back and send in another midfielder speaks for itself.

I think it's more a case of Browne being unable to show the coaches what he's capable of at his peak due to injury. He's a bit of an unknown for the next few weeks until he returns to full fitness and gets a feel for playing again.

Don't be surprised if we land a solid free-agent. We're coming into our window, have amazing new facilities and still have room in the cap.

We are finally an appealing prospect

Don't be surprised if we land a solid free-agent. We're coming into our window, have amazing new facilities and still have room in the cap.

Ooh. Aah.
Mark LeCras.

Browne = Re-sign
Dell'Olio = Doesn't faze me, doesn't look all that good to me.
Colyer = De-list
Davis = De-list
Hunter = Re-sign
O'Brien = Re-sign
Pears = If he wants out then trade him, otherwise give him another year.
Steinberg = Doesn't faze me, depends if he shows signs of being capable to play senior footy.
Gumbleton = Trade, unfortunately won't be getting games soon due to Daniher.
Hardingham = Give him another year if he wants to stay if not put him on the trade table.

These are my thoughts, sorry all the Dell'Olio lovers.

Whoever Colyer would push out if he could kick. From Friday's team, Hams or Kommer, with perhaps a Howlett type spending a bit more time resting forward.

As far as that role goes though I would be sniffing around Jared Polec from Brisbane. Still very young and has all the tools you could want in that sort of player - decent height, silky skills and blistering pace. Was a highly rated top-5 pick, played SANFL seniors as a kid, but has had a horror run with injuries and struggled to crack the team, so could be forgiven for wanting a fresh start. He perhaps needs a bit of a kick up the bum as far as his workrate goes, but sort that out and get him fit and you'd have a ripper player.

This is the sort of thing we need to look at. Best suggested target I've read. Have no idea what Brisbane think of him/whether it is realistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Browne is a shockingly overrated footballer. There must be a lot of former Xavier boys who post on here. There is certainly a lot to work with, and I like the look of him as a player, but he has a reputation that cannot possibly be based on his on field deeds.

This is the sort of thing we need to look at. Best suggested target I've read. Have no idea what Brisbane think of him/whether it is realistic.

He'll be in SA next year unfortunately. Would love him

Browne, Davis and O'Brien have the rest of the season to make sure they're on the list next year. Ditto Colyer. I'd delist Hal without hesitation, even with that beard.

I'd chase Taylor Adams hard, being prepared to offer a first-rounder, and keep Gumby if he's willing to stick around.

I agree on the first 2 points, but I was under the impression we were under a bit of a squeeze this year with quite a few players left to sign? also adding BJ to the equation.
I guess if a few players such as Pears head elsewhere that way free up a bit of space.
Mark Lecras please!!! Though thats more of a dream then any sort of realistic proposition

Browne = Re-sign
Dell'Olio = Doesn't faze me, doesn't look all that good to me.
Colyer = De-list
Davis = De-list
Hunter = Re-sign
O'Brien = Re-sign
Pears = If he wants out then trade him, otherwise give him another year.
Steinberg = Doesn't faze me, depends if he shows signs of being capable to play senior footy.
Gumbleton = Trade, unfortunately won't be getting games soon due to Daniher.
Hardingham = Give him another year if he wants to stay if not put him on the trade table.

These are my thoughts, sorry all the Dell'Olio lovers.
I know you apologized, but how is Hunter and Steinberg in front of Dells?

I used to be in that part - but once we got Camporeale, a line was crossed.

There's only one player that used to be on our list and is still playing that I would have back right now. Monfries. That's it.

There's only one player that used to be on our list and is still playing that I would have back right now. Monfries. That's it.

Ted...Richards?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player Ages Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back