Political Discussion part #2 - Let’s go out for 10 Big Macs at the Engadine Maccas!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have a laugh at this:
https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...d/news-story/9b59e27dc3ddb272cb0dff153dbb16d3

PepsiCo are giving employees the option of "swapping out" Australian Public Holidays for other days which are more culturally appropriate to them. This means that someone with Chinese heritage could take Chinese New Year off, or a Jewish person could take a day to celebrate Yom Kippur.

So far, so good...

Except that the Anglo-Saxon religious holidays (Christmas & Easter) are non-negotiable. Labor Day and Melbourne Cup Day, on the other hand, are now negotiable. This makes no sense - those aren't culturally linked to Anglo/Saxon heritage, they're something which is uniquely Australian.

Of the holidays which are negotiable, only one is culturally linked - Queen's Birthday. I'm all for swapping that one out, and coming up with something that's actually relevant to Australia and Australians.

What PepsiCo are doing is actually a really good idea, it's just implemented in a really dumb way.

It's probably due to operational factors eg shut downs. One business that I work for doesn't open between xmas and new year's day. No point me rolling in on xmas day.

It's probably due to operational factors eg shut downs. One business that I work for doesn't open between xmas and new year's day. No point me rolling in on xmas day.
I can understand that. A lot of companies shutdown completely during that period.

Easter is the really interesting one. It's a religious public holiday, so it would fit fairly and squarely within their policy. Unlike Christmas, it's not a prolonged shutdown period, it's just the Monday & Friday. Yet they can't swap this one out?

Soft interview.

No discussion on how she got shuffled around jobs? trip to the Vatican? nothing?
This is going to sound way worse than it is intended.

Sometimes people who are really good at what they do can take advantage of situations that fall their way. So from the outside people like us go wtf, but its legit, just not in a way that makes people completely comfortable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So from the outside people like us go wtf, but its legit, just not in a way that makes people completely comfortable.

I believe Australia currently calls this, "passing the pub test"

EDIT: and quite frankly, i'm sick to death of people claiming the legal barrier is the only one worth passing.

I'm an accountant as i've mentioned about a billion times, but i'm also a member of CPA Australia.

In the last five years, we've been bled dry by a cabal of thieves on the board led by Alex Malley; he as CEO and the entire board (!) resigned last year after their activities came to light

We had our AGM a couple of weeks ago and a most spiteful affair as you could imagine.

Disclosures at the AGM and the annual report were minimal, and the new board - installed through a labrynthian corporate governance structure (that's embarrassing for an organisation like ours to have) - are keeping with reporting barely up to the Corporations Law.

We're theoretically supposed to be the most "integrity"-laden organisation in Australia, but we're a joke. It's infuriating.

...because the board would rather follow the law, than pass the pub test.

Last edited:
I believe Australia currently calls this, "passing the pub test"

EDIT: and quite frankly, i'm sick to death of people claiming the legal barrier is the only one worth passing.

I'm an accountant as i've mentioned about a billion times, but i'm also a member of CPA Australia.

In the last five years, we've been bled dry by a cabal of thieves on the board led by Alex Malley; he as CEO and the entire board (!) resigned last year after their activities came to light

We had our AGM a couple of weeks ago and a most spiteful affair as you could imagine.

Disclosures at the AGM and the annual report were minimal, and the new board - installed through a labrynthian corporate governance structure (that's embarrassing for an organisation like ours to have) - are keeping with reporting barely up to the Corporations Law.

We're theoretically supposed to be the most "integrity"-laden organisation in Australia, but we're a joke. It's infuriating.

...because the board would rather follow the law, than pass the pub test.
I'm a CPA & their carrying ons have been crooked & sickening.

I pay my subs & ignore all other correspondence from them.

Close to pulling out as they don't offer me anything & lack integrity.

Oh that is so, so true.

And not just about outright lying. A politician changes their mind on a policy in the light of new information and it's a "backflip" and "inconsistent". And so on. The media / political system / demands from the electorate - all combine to mitigate against honesty and straight talking from politicians.

Soft interview.

No discussion on how she got shuffled around jobs? trip to the Vatican? nothing?

On the flip side, not that I'm saying it's the reality. Imagine that you're a superb employee. Imagine that you fall in love with your boss and he with you. Imagine there's a rule of thumb that you shouldn't work for your partner because he's your boss. Now, this is lefty of me, but surely we don't want that effective and talented employee sent to the dole queue. Does that person not have employment rights. It was a soft interview and whilst I have zero compassion for Campion as a person, her rights as a contracted governmental workers shouldn't be questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back