Review Port Adelaide vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously, the commentary was almost enough to send me mental (as it was I cursed the families of Healy, Shaw, Campbell and Jakovich...only to remember their families had to put up with them and thus were already cursed).

Really really bad commentary today, and to make it worse, Campbell will probably be MCing the Club Champion dinner after butchering the Gala Auction...I'm taking headphones.

recruit of the year - Brett Burton.
the way we ran out the game, in the wet today, was pretty impressive.. only players looking sluggish were youngsters like Lester, Harwood, Crisp.. they lack km's in the legs.. and the old boys, they are just old..
injury list is also very good.. only Leuy that has broken down really.
big improvement on previous years

game itself, still have huge man crush on Jack Redden, he has got me for his career.. tough as nails and has class. will also continue to campaign that he is the best tackler in AFL in technique/ferocity combo..
Dan Rich still has a fair bit of my love, hes a monster..
raines, green, zorko, brown, black, hudson, the 3 backline boys and the previously mentioned 2 won us the game..
polks was good, best game of the year, created 3 or 4 goals with his 9 touches..
without naming names, most of the rest were passengers, hawksley is not AFL standard, never really has been.. cya champ, thanks for trying.
would like to see Docherty or Yeo played next week

I think he's part of what made our WC game in Rd 10 so good, especially his call of the moment in your avatar.

Absolutely. The moment itself was similar in nature to Rocky's goal against the Crows, but there's a reason I get goosebumps every time I watch Polk's goals. "Polkinghorne, chances his arm, gets it to Adcock, the handball's got through, looooong kick, it's gonna go! POLKINGHORNE! THEY'RE IN FRONT! PANDEMONIUM AT THE GABBA!"

^ all from memory :p

Absolutely. The moment itself was similar in nature to Rocky's goal against the Crows, but there's a reason I get goosebumps every time I watch Polk's goals. "Polkinghorne, chances his arm, gets it to Adcock, the handball's got through, looooong kick, it's gonna go! POLKINGHORNE! THEY'RE IN FRONT! PANDEMONIUM AT THE GABBA!"

^ all from memory :p
Well done. The secondary commentator also contributed to my sig.

Great night to return to BF after many months lurking. Just wanna say congratulations to the boys for a hard fought gutsy win and overall a so-far successful season. Didn't see the game only listened on radio so don't have anything more to add. Good to hear some of the SEN boys are starting to show a bit of love for us.

Also wanna say a big thanks to all the great posters on here who have kept me well informed of the goings on at the club over the last few years Especially when I was overseas and had little access to AFL related anything. So cheers everyone!!!

This has been a great season so far.

Hopefully next weekend will be our swansong.

I think these past few weeks have really emphasised how well our youth are coming along.

Positives: We really put our bodies on the line in the final quarter.
Negatives: It took us three quarters to realise we needed to put our bodies on the line.

I totally agree with this statement. Ultra frustrating game to watch. Time and time again we were beaten in the mIddle and also the Port boys did go lower and harder in many many occasions. Will take the four points but certainly wasn't impressed on the whole bar a few players. Certainly would love to buy a beer for Redden if I bumped into him. I know a lot of people here rate Rockliff but if I have a choice to play next to it would be Redden, that's what leadership is all about.

Knew it was going to be a close one, we don't travel well and we are very inconistant, this shows during the 1st and 3rd quarter, but it was great to see the boys win and hopefully i will have 1 less heart attack during the bulldogs game next week :)

Was at the game...it was like watching 2 teams ready for the off season. No hard running, players having chit chats with the opposition, just a game with kick to a contest and if it falls near me I'll pretend I'm trying game.

Notable exceptions green, rich, beams...the lazy vote goes to rocky, as he tried to walk his opponents into the ground...he looks to have wrapped up his season already along with quite a few of his mates

What I was impressed was that we didn't really hang up the boots when Port had their burst of five goals near the last quarter. When it seemed that Port were going to run away with the game, the boys actually still continued to try although poor skill errors really did give a terrible impression.

The clearance issue is really giving me nightmares, what the hell is going on here?

What I was impressed was that we didn't really hang up the boots when Port had their burst of five goals near the last quarter. When it seemed that Port were going to run away with the game, the boys actually still continued to try although poor skill errors really did give a terrible impression.

The clearance issue is really giving me nightmares, what the hell is going on here?
Sore, injured, young and tired midfielders, I think.

Yeah fair enough I guess.

Also this game nearly broke Port's record of their lowest crowd in history. For those who went to the game how many Lions supporters were at the game? On TV sounded like 80-20 in favor of Port although I definitely know that is incorrect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More so than Port?

Hard to tell on the TV, but it was mentioned by Healey that Port had an extra player in there at one point.

More so than Port?
Couldn't say, Grim. It seems as though Rocky is playing sore, and Black has had knee issues for the second half of the season. Raines did ok, as did Redden, and our small forwards Green and Zorko came in to help, but the others seemed to not be 100%. Just observations, and therefore not definitive.

Yeah fair enough I guess.

Also this game nearly broke Port's record of their lowest crowd in history. For those who went to the game how many Lions supporters were at the game? On TV sounded like 80-20 in favor of Port although I definitely know that is incorrect.

Lion supporters were the usual few hundred...not a big crowd but still very loud when the feral port supporters didn't see things going their way. One thing I'll give port supporters is they are damn passionate...they just lack the numbers

One thing I noticed is that Hudson is cooked...trys hard but his disposal and decision making is a liability...once the Berger and longer combo get up and running our clearance issue will be sorted. Hudson just doesn't link up with our miss and seems to hit to advantage of the opposition with both hit outs and his 2nd efforts from ground

Polkinghorne added something in this game that he rarely has before. Not a huge amount of involvement but what there was had a big impact a couple of times.

If he can produce that high quality a dozen times in a game....

Being a ruckman myself I am Very reluctant to tap it backwards as Hudson did yesterday time and time again when we were getting smashed for those 12 straight clearances that they got. For me the last place I want the ball to moving towards is the opposition goals.

Credit to our regular reserve grade watchers
You guys have pumped up the tyres of Green and Beams, suitably impressed with their contributions at stages this season, both play like winners and seem to have a want for the contest.

Polkinghorne
Don't know what his stats were today but his class was clear. I do believe he is a small lead up forward. This is when he has played his best footy for us. Zorko and Green will push further up the field to give us leg speed at the contest and to spread from the contest. More than happy to leave Polks and McGrath as our small forwards.

Zorko
If he isn't top 3 in the best and fairest i will walk to Uluru and back! His season has been unbelivable. If we had to nominate 1 player based on their role for the All Australian team - Zorks would be it.

There have been some comments regarding softness. I think that is more of a case of fatigue and the season nearly being over. I would expect we will come out guns blazing for the final game of the year. Hanley and Harwood have been very good this year, not too comfortable with blokes hanging them for a few isolated moments in hardest round of the season for a team that isn't in finals contention.

Anthony Hudson is my favorite commentator of all...on both radio and tv....a true professional, gets excited regardless which team, even if its against Cats (his team)
He had me with this.

"And the Lions go Back to Back to Back"

That is all I need.:thumbsu::footy:

One thing I noticed is that Hudson is cooked...trys hard but his disposal and decision making is a liability...once the Berger and longer combo get up and running our clearance issue will be sorted. Hudson just doesn't link up with our miss and seems to hit to advantage of the opposition with both hit outs and his 2nd efforts from ground

Funny because Hudson is the best ruckman in the competition at boundary throw ins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port Adelaide vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back