Review Port Adelaide vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Rich has been really impressive the last two weeks. In particular when the game was in the balance. Both last week and this week when the game was there to be won in the last quarter he took it on himself to be the difference in the middle. Real sign on growing leadership qualities and ownership of the team. Our next captain in my view.

BTW, can I dislocate one of Tony Shaw's ribs for him? Moron.

Where's the great Dennis Commeti when you need him?

I love his "Lions fan say....blow the bloody siren" at the West coast game this year. I can sit through a whole game of Huddo commentating.

Huddo's call when Fevola goaled to seal the upset against Collingwood in 2010 is one of my favourites:

"It comes to Patfull, he's got Black! And they're in the clear! And it's gonna go to the Fev! Can you take it Brendan? No, he CAN! He CAN! And the ball...WILL! IT WILL! AND IT DOES!"

The commentary line that I thought most most interesting (and highly out of sync with generic big footy opinion) was along the lines of ... "That was Black, Polkinghorne and Brown, two of them won't be around for much longer and the other will be the mainstay of their midfield going forward"

Nice to know that Polks is our future midfield mainstay - of course if he *did* become that we would all be thrilled and decide Voss was a genius for giving him all those games we were whinging about him having at the time... :)

A question for those of you who play/have played sport at a reasonable level (something I can most definitively *not* lay claim to) ... when we look at the players and thoughts cross our minds along the lines of bored, disinterested, couldn't be bothered, lazy etc ... are we attributing intrinsic elements to their behaviour that is actually extrinsically based or can you actually *be* disinterested etc doing the few hours of pointy end that your whole work week / career life is focussing on?

Just seems weird that they couldn't actually really care....

A question for those of you who play/have played sport at a reasonable level (something I can most definitively *not* lay claim to) ... when we look at the players and thoughts cross our minds along the lines of bored, disinterested, couldn't be bothered, lazy etc ... are we attributing intrinsic elements to their behaviour that is actually extrinsically based or can you actually *be* disinterested etc doing the few hours of pointy end that your whole work week / career life is focussing on?

Just seems weird that they couldn't actually really care....

There is a rule on campus where I work - no one works on a Friday afternoon. We're all just there to look good. Hell, all of Mum's section have usually racked off by lunchtime. You notice that there's more free parking spaces around the place around 2pm Thursday afternoon.

Lion supporters were the usual few hundred...not a big crowd but still very loud when the feral port supporters didn't see things going their way. One thing I'll give port supporters is they are damn passionate...they just lack the numbers
Something I have noticed at away games we have won is that at the start of games the home team crowd boo and jeer loudly at Brisbane frees and shots on goal and go very quiet toward the end when the Lion supporters are louder.
I guess this may be true for all games and supporters but it seems like some supporters just give up.
This really struck me yesterday when in the first quarter the Lions started well all you could hear was booing from Port supporters but toward the end of the last it was mostly Lions cheering.

I remained confident even when we were down at 3/4 time. Very gutsy win, I dont agree we 'played poorly', I think we were generally good bar 1/4 o the game, especially given the conditions. Remember Port can play when they are on. People must also remember that they are desperate for a win, like we were this time last year, they want one for buddah. It was remarkable we were able to stop their run and win in the end, I take a massive amount from the win, it showed alot of character.

On another note - I want to write a letter of complaint to Foxtel, never have I heard such one sided obvious barracking or a team in all my years watching footy. Shaw groaned "awwww no".. when Raines snapped that goal, after reddens Huge smoother Healey bagged Harwood for 2 minutes, didnt mention the smoother. On at least 10 occasions Shaw furiously debated umpiring decisions in Ports favor, rewind and listen to the passion he argues againts a free kick given to Hudson. All 3 callers were out right Cheering for Port and wishing them on, at one stage Shaw again said "ohhh no" when we kicked in side 50, as if it was his team about to be scored againts. It was blatent and it was for the entire game. occasionally they would throw in "this is good by the Lions". They all sounded deflated once we won, and even after the gutsy comeback there was little to no in depth credit given to the lions. In the post match run down they looked almost guilty, Healy and shaw hate the Lions, Even on the Couch healy just arrogantly dismisses the Lions as a 'go no where' type of team. it was a disgrace.

I would like to sit through and note the comments in ports favor, the arguments againts the lions and the amount of times we were bagged for effort.

My Unlce plays golf with shaw, he asked him one day, "why are you so Anti - Lions?" and shaw admitted he hates the Lions and that 2001-2002 as a passionate pies Man was the reason why. It goes right back to 2009 againts Port where there was the Huge hit on Daniel rich (cant remeber who hit him) and shaw argued and maintained it was a 'good bump'.. the bloke got 3 weeks.

Did others feel frustrated all day with the call? it was almost hard to enjoy it as a Lions supporter as though our success was a guilty pleasure.
Mate, I wholeheartedly agree with you. The continued blatant bios coming out of those w***ers was absolutely disgusting. The thing that i find most dissapointing is that it happens every week. Games are not the same without commentary, but I find I have to mute regularly. I'd listen to the radio except there is a lag which can be quit annoying. Another thing I found appalling was the picture quality. Be nice if the FOX camera people could spend a second to wipe the fog and rain of their camera lenses so at least the picture (if not the commentary) quality could be bearable. Guess they know their jobs are assured given the monopoly they have on the AFL TV rights. I won' t be renewing my subscription for these reasons.

On the game,

Special mention to these guys:

Raines: Was great today and has been doing well all season. He's in his prime at the moment and his skill level is getting better. I'm willing to put it out there and say he will get better next year and start to play a more ball winning game. He also gets a few sneaky goals from stoppages where it really counts.

Polks: Is the persistence finally starting to show dividends? He has always looked the goods in my humble opinion but just hasn't put the runs on the board... He was fantastic yesterday and I really hope he can continue to improve his output because what he does when he's having a good game is very good.

Hudson, Green, Beams and Zorko. What can you say... Awesome! :p
Our recruiters have done the absolute best anybody could do given the compromised drafts over the last few years, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what other rippers they pull out of their hats this off season.

God I love the Fitzroy/bears/Lions!

Beams's effort in that last quarter was amazing! Don't know why he hasn't played a few more games.
Hawksley was very disappointing on the other hand, fumbled everything that came to him and cost us a few goals as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw who the commentators were and thought oh,oh...but I stopped myself and gave them a chance.

I lasted until 1/2 way through the first quarter and muted...the commentators that is.

I then had the surreal experience of watching an afl game in silence. SEN was about 30 sec behind.

Very disappointed - it also gives me little desire to smart replay because the same spud-heads will be talking there.

Good news is WE WON!!!!!!!!

I remember one of the grand finals years ago on foxtel gave you the option of listening to just the crowd, would love if they gave that option again.

I remember one of the grand finals years ago on foxtel gave you the option of listening to just the crowd, would love if they gave that option again.
Was just thinking the same thing. Interestingly the BBC apparently already offers this functionality. Wonder if a petition would be worth a shot?

In the end so great to see the Lions get up in a gutsy but ugly win, I'm feeling better and better about next year.

Rich and Reddo are the future. Please tell me the articles I've read recently about Tippett coming to Brisbane in exchange for one of them are rubbish. It seems to me for the first time in years we have a team that plays for each other, ripping one of those two out for Tippett will IMO be devastating for morale in the team. Tippett doesn't have the same issues Fevola did but I think what really set us back with that deal was all the bad feelings it created- Rischitelli won B & F and couldn't wait to leave and Bradshaw deserved much better. And I wasn't too sorry to see him go but I reckon Brennan would fit a bit into this catagory as well, you can't tell me this didn't affect the players

The teams that are consistently competetive and win games when the odds are against them are the teams that believe in each other, not because they have hired guns. Tippett would be good but not at any cost, we can do it without him

Rich and Reddo are the future. Please tell me the articles I've read recently about Tippett coming to Brisbane in exchange for one of them are rubbish.
They're rubbish.

There's simply no way the Club would rip the heart out of the team and Voss has said as much recently.

Was just thinking the same thing. Interestingly the BBC apparently already offers this functionality. Wonder if a petition would be worth a shot?

A chance of not having to listen to Shaw and Campbell, yes please!

How good was Greens goal in the last. He will make a ripping player in years to come.
All thanks to that clever centre kick from Beams.

;)

Even if it was a shocking kick. :p

On another note - I want to write a letter of complaint to Foxtel, never have I heard such one sided obvious barracking or a team in all my years watching footy. Shaw groaned "awwww no".. when Raines snapped that goal, after reddens Huge smoother Healey bagged Harwood for 2 minutes, didnt mention the smoother. On at least 10 occasions Shaw furiously debated umpiring decisions in Ports favor, rewind and listen to the passion he argues againts a free kick given to Hudson. All 3 callers were out right Cheering for Port and wishing them on, at one stage Shaw again said "ohhh no" when we kicked in side 50, as if it was his team about to be scored againts. It was blatent and it was for the entire game. occasionally they would throw in "this is good by the Lions". They all sounded deflated once we won, and even after the gutsy comeback there was little to no in depth credit given to the lions. In the post match run down they looked almost guilty, Healy and shaw hate the Lions, Even on the Couch healy just arrogantly dismisses the Lions as a 'go no where' type of team. it was a disgrace.

I would like to sit through and note the comments in ports favor, the arguments againts the lions and the amount of times we were bagged for effort.

My Unlce plays golf with shaw, he asked him one day, "why are you so Anti - Lions?" and shaw admitted he hates the Lions and that 2001-2002 as a passionate pies Man was the reason why. It goes right back to 2009 againts Port where there was the Huge hit on Daniel rich (cant remeber who hit him) and shaw argued and maintained it was a 'good bump'.. the bloke got 3 weeks.

Did others feel frustrated all day with the call? it was almost hard to enjoy it as a Lions supporter as though our success was a guilty pleasure.

Shaw seems to suffer remembering dates..Crashing head first into a tree on a marathon fun run will do that...Then again after 26 losing GF's.. 'dates' may all appear as a bit of a blur...No doubt Shaw supports anything with a magpie history.....Which explains why the he tried to remove the tree with his head.... obviously that tree had no magpie history..Perfect example of bad body language, not being prepared and not taking it seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port Adelaide vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back