Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure where to put this but being a general AFL whinge here will do. These big mouth club presidents are shitting me. Koch, McGuire, Kennett and those types should just shut the **** up. They offer nothing insightful, they aren't players or coaches they just exist to create headlines to feed their egos. You never hear from the West Coast president/chairman, same with the lady from Richmond, these others have just pissed me off this entire break in the season. Every other day one of them is saying something ridiculous or picking a fight with Malthouse in Koch's case, Fyfe in Kennett's case and everywhere else in Eddie's. Time for them to know their role and shut their mouthes to borrow a Rock saying.

Not sure where to put this but being a general AFL whinge here will do. These big mouth club presidents are shitting me. Koch, McGuire, Kennett and those types should just shut the fu** up. They offer nothing insightful, they aren't players or coaches they just exist to create headlines to feed their egos. You never hear from the West Coast president/chairman, same with the lady from Richmond, these others have just pissed me off this entire break in the season. Every other day one of them is saying something ridiculous or picking a fight with Malthouse in Koch's case, Fyfe in Kennett's case and everywhere else in Eddie's. Time for them to know their role and shut their mouthes to borrow a Rock saying.

I watched Barrie Cassidy's One Plus One episode with Peggy O'Neal the Richmond president last night. Such a clear thinker and able to quietly put words into action.

Peggy was impressive.

I watched Barrie Cassidy's One Plus One episode with Peggy O'Neal the Richmond president last night. Such a clear thinker and able to quietly put words into action.

Peggy was impressive.

She was a lawyer by trade. Despite the bad raps that lawyers get, their stock in trade is to get outcomes for others and not themselves. Most AFL leaders want it to be all about them.
BTW Cassidy is an irredeemable flog and a Collingwood supporter.

Peggy was impressive.

I put up a tweet from the producer about 20 minutes before it started on Thursday night a couple of pages back. She is indeed one impressive coal miner's daughter, a long way from West Virginia. Koch is a fan but I reckon he has misinterpreted her stability mantra. Richmond needed it after 30 years of mayhem and constant unnecessary change.

She backed Hardwick, but Hardwick is a winner. Won a flag at Essendon, then at Port and at Hawks as an assistant. Choco lined him up to be his successor but he had just applied for the Richmond job in August 2009. Hinkley ain't no winner. She talks about sending Hardwick to a course at Harvard at end of 2016, they were going to back him but he had to evolve and improve. He went to the course, met people from around the world and changed as a result, and the rest is history.

I liked her line near the end when she says - your legacy is nobody notices when you are gone. You reckon Koch would want that? It would happen?

Another important difference is she talks about getting elected and having to deliver and serve out their term, "if you weren't prepared to stick with them, why did you elect them in the role." This is where we miss out by not electing our senior board members. She gets elected by their members, unlike Koch, who doesn't front up to our members for election, just a speech at the AGM.

I also liked her explanation of their community diversity programs, she doesn't oversell it like Koch does with ours - how broad it is, and how it has helped change the club.

It's an interesting series Barrie is doing on leadership, no political leadership involved, but important community leadership. Started off with an RFS captain who spent most of the summer fighting fires.

Last week's guest Dennis Richardson was pretty impressive although it touched on politics. A career public servant, spent nearly 20 years in foreign affairs in embassies in Kenya, PNG and Indonesia, Hawke recruited him to head up International division of Prime Minister and Cabinet, then asked him to be his chief of staff, Keating used him to do reviews on post cold war, then was deputy secretary of Immigration. Howard appointed him director general of ASIO for 9 years, then the plumb ambassadorship to Washington for 5 years, which is rare these days a career public servant gets that job, then becomes secretary of DFAT for 2 years and finishes his career as secretary of Defence for 5 years finishing up his career mid 2017. Canberra Raiders appointed him to their board in 2015 or 2016. Would be bloody useful to work with Port re our China stuff and use all his contacts to help us keep our China strategy on track negotiating difficulties at the moment and future road blocks.

Peggy was impressive.

She always comes across impressively and just does her job and does it well based on the turn around of Richmond.

That's all I want in a president at Port Adelaide. Not this egotistical crap we have at the minute from Koch

I put up a tweet from the producer about 20 minutes before it started on Thursday night a couple of pages back. She is indeed one impressive coal miner's daughter, a long way from West Virginia. Koch is a fan but I reckon he has misinterpreted her stability mantra. Richmond needed it after 30 years of mayhem and constant unnecessary change.

She backed Hardwick, but Hardwick is a winner. Won a flag at Essendon, then at Port and at Hawks as an assistant. Choco lined him up to be his successor but he had just applied for the Richmond job in August 2009. Hinkley ain't no winner. She talks about sending Hardwick to a course at Harvard at end of 2016, they were going to back him but he had to evolve and improve. He went to the course, met people from around the world and changed as a result, and the rest is history.

I liked her line near the end when she says - your legacy is nobody notices when you are gone. You reckon Koch would want that? It would happen?

Another important difference is she talks about getting elected and having to deliver and serve out their term, "if you weren't prepared to stick with them, why did you elect them in the role." This is where we miss out by not electing our senior board members. She gets elected by their members, unlike Koch, who doesn't front up to our members for election, just a speech at the AGM.

I also liked her explanation of their community diversity programs, she doesn't oversell it like Koch does with ours - how broad it is, and how it has helped change the club.

It's an interesting series Barrie is doing on leadership, no political leadership involved, but important community leadership. Started off with an RFS captain who spent most of the summer fighting fires.

Last week's guest Dennis Richardson was pretty impressive although it touched on politics. A career public servant, spent nearly 20 years in foreign affairs in embassies in Kenya, PNG and Indonesia, Hawke recruited him to head up International division of Prime Minister and Cabinet, then asked him to be his chief of staff, Keating used him to do reviews on post cold war, then was deputy secretary of Immigration. Howard appointed him director general of ASIO for 9 years, then the plumb ambassadorship to Washington for 5 years, which is rare these days a career public servant gets that job, then becomes secretary of DFAT for 2 years and finishes his career as secretary of Defence for 5 years finishing up his career mid 2017. Canberra Raiders appointed him to their board in 2015 or 2016. Would be bloody useful to work with Port re our China stuff and use all his contacts to help us keep our China strategy on track negotiating difficulties at the moment and future road blocks.
And they kept their coach

She always comes across impressively and just does her job and does it well based on the turn around of Richmond.

That's all I want in a president at Port Adelaide. Not this egotistical crap we have at the minute from Koch
We need the egotistical crap.

Someone like Peggy might be excellent at Richmond but we need someone unafraid to stick their neck out here. We need a figure like Koch used to be in the earlier years.

We aren't a club like Richmond. The AFL doesn't exist to make things achievable for us because it will make their side of the books look better.

Unfortunately Koch has gone from looking like a mover and shaker to a bumbling fool who doesn't think before he speaks and doesn't know much about footy.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

As ‘The Last Dance’ documentary series about the 1997-1998 Chicago Bulls wraps up, Netflix has announced another series will be released in 2021.

However, instead of covering the Chicago Bulls and NBA, this series will be focused on the 1997-1998 Adelaide Crows AFL team during their Premiership years.

Unprecedented access was given to camera crews during this time, however the vast majority of footage obtained was just Darren Jarman smashing Red Tins and meat pies, which to be honest is far more disturbing than it is interesting.

As the Chicago Bulls series brought back memories of the golden age for Adelaide Crows diehards, this seemed like the next logical step for Netflix.

Netflix subscriber and Crows fan, Sheridan Nay stated ‘Like many Crows supporters, I’ve been living off this former glory since I was a kid. So I can’t wait to see the behind the scenes action of the time’.

That behind the scenes action will reportedly include Matthew Robran continually facing unfair comparison to his father, Mark Riccutio losing his cool on-set of a Snickers commercial, half an hour of Toyota Camry ads, and a 50 minute episode covering the fallout of Malcom Blight’s “pathetic” comment.

Commentary will be provided from many former Crows players, especially Ben Hart, because it turns he’s currently not doing much else for the next six weeks.

In a highly unusual move, the Netflix series will also be released on VCR to cater to the majority of Adelaide Crows fans.

I see the problem with Koch (apart from his obvious lack of football knowledge) is he is trying to be Port's version of eddie everywhere, and he just can't cut it.

Maybe it's a tv ego thing, and he feels he has to compete, but like no doubt many I prefer the quiet and strong leadership style of the tigger's lady.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong midfielder Jack Steven is yet reveal just how he suffered a stab wound to the chest. The incident on Saturday night was referred to police by hospital staff after the Cats player checked-in for medical attention.

According to the Herald Sun, Steven twice refused a chance to explain the incident to police. “Stonnington Crime Investigation Unit detectives are investigating after a 30-year-old Lorne man presented at a Melbourne hospital overnight with a non- life-threatening injury,” a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

“Detectives are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident and hope to speak to the victim again later today.”

Legend is a bullshit category, to cut 10% of the herd away from the other 90%.

But if you are going to make a call, then look at the criteria - They have caused the game to change significantly for the better.

That's probably why the category should be dominated by coaches say post 1980. It's the coaches that have changed the game post decent money entering the game and you started getting some near professional players before the industry becoming 100% full time professionals in 2000.

Most current Legends are pre 1980 players for 2 reasons.

1) The age of those who have been on the selection panel since 1996 and the nostalgia and memory of great players when they were young, but

2) it was the great players who changed the game more than the coaches, when it was more amateur than professional in its semi-professional years.

Last edited:
Legend is a bullshit category, to cut 10% of the herd away from the other 90%.

But if you are going to make a call, then look at the criteria - They have caused the game to change significantly for the better.

That's probably why the category should be dominated by coaches say post 1980. It's the coaches that have changed the game post decent money entering the game and you started getting some near professional players before the industry becoming 100% full time professionals in 2000.

Most current Legends are pre 1980 players for 2 reasons.

1) The age of those who have been on the selection panel since 1996 and the nostalgia and memory of great players when they were young, but

2) it was the great players who changed the game more than the coaches, when it was more amateur than professional in its semi-professional tears.

Let's hope it's not Mick Malthouse - imagine him being given a platform at the moment...

Let's hope it's not Mick Malthouse - imagine him being given a platform at the moment...
Haha Mick didn't change the game for the better, despite talking about Roman Legions box formation defence strategies.

Gerard Neesham changed the game more than Mick by bringing his possession style from water polo he had used when he was playing and coaching that sport. But Gerard did't have full time players to master the skills needed to use possession football successfully. Mick just bagged him and didn't understand it and belittled it, yet within a decade had copied it, because all coaches were using it, as they all had full time footballers who could practice it.

Last edited:
As ‘The Last Dance’ documentary series about the 1997-1998 Chicago Bulls wraps up, Netflix has announced another series will be released in 2021. ..
I have almost zero interest in basketball but have really enjoyed The Last Dance. Not only does it show what a truly gifted athlete Michael Jordan is but what a fierce competitor he was and how he not only got the best out of himself but he dragged his teammates along with him. He didn't accept losing.

You'd never hear Michael Jordan say that the NBA is a tough competition and someone has to lose.

Last edited:
I have almost zero interest in basketball ball but have really enjoyed The Last Dance. Not only does it show what a truly gifted athlete Michael Jordan is but what a fierce competitor he was and how he not only got the best out of himself but he dragged his teammates along with him. He didn't accept losing.

You'd never hear Michael Jordan say that the NBA is a tough competition and someone has to lose.
Nope never would you hear Jordan say that. He'd train his ass off and make it his mission to beat that opponent the next time, and being Jordan he'd probably humiliate them in the process.

Let's be honest, a player with Jordan's "I'm the best" personality would be hated in the AFL.

Australia and its Tall Poppy syndrome. Also why Tredrea and Wingard were quite hated outside Port.

On the other hand, in America, people being overly humble (Ken Hinkley) would get torn to shreds.

I think people hate arrogance without the success to back it up.
MJ won six championships and he didn't get any special treatment from the refs.
Using Tredrea or Wingard as a comparison doesn't work - 1 flag and 0 flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back