Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The AFL has reviewed the final passage of play in the Fremantle vs North Melbourne match at Optus Stadium yesterday.

The final siren sounded before the ball goes out of play. The umpire’s decision on the ground was correct.

The sponsors want to plug some products, they should do a random draw for a member /match attendee and have the player present it on the show. Not give it to people already earning half a million. It's a relic from the non professional era when players still had day jobs.

Last edited:

The AFL has reviewed the final passage of play in the Fremantle vs North Melbourne match at Optus Stadium yesterday.

The final siren sounded before the ball goes out of play. The umpire’s decision on the ground was correct.
The game doesn't end when the siren goes, it ends when the umpire signals. The siren is there to tell the umpire 'time's up, call it'.

Why does this shit always happen to Freo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article below neglects to comment on the slow erosion of FTA sport.
In fact Im not clear on the details of FTA footy this season. I'll get it when I come to it, I guess.

"The Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports said higher TV rights prices would mean they had more money to invest in things such as women’s sports."

This line (as well as grass roots/community sport) is the moral high ground these oligarchs are trying to take. Blackmail more like.

WHAT THE * JUST WATCHED THE VISION YOU LITERALLY HEAR THE UMPS CALL TO 'PAY IT' BEFORE THE SIREN GOES
Yes. Meaning pay the free when the ball goes out of bounds.

The trouble is the ball went out of bounds AFTER the siren.

There is a slight synch delay between the sound of the siren and the vision on the telecast but those at the game seem to be in agreement that it was the correct call.

There is more debate around this in this thread than there is on the Freo board.

Last edited:
They made the right decision imo. Ump calls "pay it" as soon as it left the defenders boot. Siren goes before it crosses the line.

"The Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports said higher TV rights prices would mean they had more money to invest in things such as women’s sports."

Translation: "We use the financial fleecing of lifelong supporters to artifically prop up leagues that no one cares about to make ourselves feel good and get government grants."

It's terrible optics particularly the way things are for the average joe at the moment so out of touch, give the sponsors stuff away to viewers or something.
I've thought the players throw it away anyway. So much is irrelevant to them too

Like many I thought Freo were screwed by the umps with that last (non) decision, but for much of the final qtr all they did was bang the ball onto Walter's head when he had at least 1 and sometimes 2 much taller opponents camped on him, and they blew other chances to either take the lead or at worst draw level with that non stop kick and hope stuff to a pack.

It was vintage kern with Jake Neade as the go to forward with the same result.

I'm no great fan of clarko as a bloke ( and it's not just because of the accusations of racism, which I suspect the AFL will eventually sweep under the carpet ) but geez it was good to see a coach getting down on the boundary line and applauding his team, he did go a tad early with the high five stuff but they still got the chocolates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back