Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did jerkoff Jenkins actually hit the post or did he just say he thought it did? Can't remember whether there was actually conclusive proof or not

Also, is it true that it was the same goal ump? Because if so that's ******* hilarious
I sort of remember that the boys doing the review were being rushed as the schedule could have been compromised if they took any longer with the review. I guess that didn’t help our cause to get a correct outcome.
You could imagined what was going on, “come on boys get a move on as we are running out of time and the next game is about to start”.
Lets just flip a coin

So, how are we all feeling this morning, the day after the day after?
Might tune in to AA on the drive in, see what's happened in the world this weekend.
Should be a interesting round this week, I wouldn’t mind the Saints winning along with us and Melbourne.
That would give us Melbourne at home first week with new goal posts 🤪

I’m sure Gill will ensure the AFL do some behind the scenes deal with the Crows, that’s how the ( Adelaide) establishment works.

Why should they get anything ??

FFS there are dozens of blatantly incorrect calls every weekend that could have an effect on the result

Just fix the goal review procedure / technology and move on

Did jerkoff Jenkins actually hit the post or did he just say he thought it did? Can't remember whether there was actually conclusive proof or not

Also, is it true that it was the same goal ump? Because if so that's ******* hilarious
Same umpire, same post.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rotation of the ball changes from a helicopter motion to a torpedo spin after the post. He also said "My mum told me not to tell fibs, I think it hit the post".

Players almost always know whether they've kicked goals and points. He would've known. It was a point. Fair enough given the crap tech we had then, it was never getting over turned, but it was an umpiring howler that highlighted the massive issue we had and the desperate need to really revamp the system.

Even the umpire in the moment immediately sent it up and must've thought it had hit the post.

Here we are a few years later with the same umpire, on the same post, once again incorrectly deciding the result of a game critical to a teams finals chances.

.that was pre goal review days yeah?
No it was reviewed, but it was when there was basically very limited tech and it was inconclusive, though it is pretty easy to tell it did hit the post, the ump was just never over ruling that given the tech.. I think at this stage only the MCG had a goalline camera.

The best angle of it was a zoomed out view. Now we have goalline cameras, snicko and they also have some sort of timing/alignment mechanism where they can use 3 different angles at the same time to pinpoint the location of the ball.

All of that equates to some basic steps in the right direction, but we need some significantly improved cameras, that capture motion, faster. There's also got to be some sort of trajectory tracking and possibly other tech available by now we could use.

I do find it funny after the Jenkins point that was called a goal - it was 6 years ago but the crows in response to that were very ‘well, stiff s**t Poorts’

Hinkley came out and said after the game that it’s a professional competition and people train hard - only to have their hard work neglected by poor technology/practices.

Had the crows thought - ‘actually s**t, he’s right you know- this could happen to us one day’ - then maybe …………

Instead they doubled down after Jenkins (who said himself it hit the post) - ‘stop your whinging Port, play to the umpires decision. there were heaps of times we got bad frees paid against us’

Well - now they want the outrage???

Nah - you got a bad call and lost - stiff s**t.
There's actually another layer to it too.

Had they not been of the typical "Sucked in Poort" mentality, not only might the tech have been improved, but the umpire himself may have come under more heat and may not have been the man on duty on the day?

Yea I think the AFL will fukc us with the fixture next year, no surprise we got the Sunday lunchtime shit sandwich last round before finals after the concussion debacle.

Play on

Honestly I don't think 1 point is a harsh penalty, and in fact could benefit the attacking side in many situations. For example if its in play and it comes back off the post you could run on and turn that in to a goal.
So it's the Grand Final and the siren has just gone with scores level. Todd Marshall has a kick on goal from 50 metres out with a chance to win the game and the Premiership for Port hie kicks truly but a gust of wind drifts the ball into the goal post and it bounces back into play.

The game is over with no score recorded - the match is drawn.

And yet if Todd misses by say 2m he gets a point and we win the flag.

Makes zero sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back