Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam McClure is possibly the dimmest bulb in the entire AFL media landscape.

Rate AFL commentards by "candlewatts of brain power". Fractions are allowed. I'll start:

0 Luke Darcy, Derwayne Russell
0.5 Brian Taylor

The current contract requires that at least ten finals matches (plus all Grand Finals) be played at the MCG during every rolling five-year period. This stipulation could require the AFL to schedule a non-Victorian team's home match at the MCG to meet the quota, in the event that non-Victorian teams dominate the competition for an extended period.[2]
Why even bother with this sport lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A national league with it's power base completely in one state will forever fcuck us all, I blame the SANFL & WAFL to a degree for being such cucks in the days of yore there should've been a national body formed between the three major state leagues in a perfect world.
I wasn't born when this was going on but isn't this what you are referring to?

I wasn't born when this was going on but isn't this what you are referring to?
No I could've worded that better it needed to be a national league formed between the three major state leagues, obviously you'd still have more clubs in Melbourne than anywhere else but it could've looked so different with a more spread governance.
The concept of composite sides in SA & WA is still utterly bizarre to me you could've been 40 years deep by now with probably three traditional clubs from both SA & WA in the league.

I need to read up on the 'NFL' night series period where the VFL ended up swinging their dicks into dominance forever.

Last edited:
I used to think two clubs was about right for Adelaide, but when you look at the pissy little Victorian clubs in the AFL not mention the Gold Coast & GWS it's a mirage, they have basically starved two major heartlands in SA & WA of more top flight football.

Very weird stat, Hawks have only played one night game for the entire year and that was back in round 5 against Gold Coast. Their final 2 games are also day games. Wonder how often that has happened?

Very weird stat, Hawks have only played one night game for the entire year and that was back in round 5 against Gold Coast. Their final 2 games are also day games. Wonder how often that has happened?
They've pretty much been off Broadway all year the AFL obviously thought they were gonna be hot garbage this season.

They've pretty much been off Broadway all year the AFL obviously thought they were gonna be hot garbage this season.
Basically avoided any high pressure, large crowd games. Could be interesting to see if the young team crumbles when they play finals in full stadiums at night.

Basically avoided any high pressure, large crowd games. Could be interesting to see if the young team crumbles when they play finals in full stadiums at night.
They don't seem to play with fear tbh, and have relished the big games they've been a part of. Kind of remind me of us in 2013 when we had belief in our run and gun attacking style.

Kane opines: AFL players not only have free agency after six yearsā€™ service, they have also created freedom of movement while under contract. The list of players walking out on clubs while contracted ā€“ some with multiple years to serve ā€“ is getting longer and longer and suggesting player power has gone too far.

The latest example, as reported by this masthead ā€“ Melbourne midfielder Alex Neal-Bullen ā€“ sounds the alarm bell for a rebalance in favour of the clubs that want free trading.

In the AFL itā€™s the players and their managers who hold the whip hand.
AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon knows the clubs want the issue addressed.
ā€œWhen weā€™ve been in discussions with clubs, itā€™s always about, ā€˜Can you balance the economics of how trades work,ā€™ and we look at it less like trading without consent and more that clubs can lead trades,ā€ Dillon said last year.
The AFL is now subject to farcical scenes of players walking out on clubs that have heavily invested in them with risky long-term contracts.
Dillon should reconsider his stance, as the balance of power is truly with the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back