Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Changed after Brisbane got robbed of a home prelim in 04 didn’t it?

Jason Akermanis still rants and raves that Demetriou specifically bought it in to curb their dominance.

Never mind it’d been a thing for decades (and West Coast and Adelaide had both run afoul of it in recent years).

What’s the deal for finals to be played at the MCG?

Wondering how creative the umpires are going to have to be to make them happen.

The current contract requires that at least ten finals matches (plus all Grand Finals) be played at the MCG during every rolling five-year period. This stipulation could require the AFL to schedule a non-Victorian team's home match at the MCG to meet the quota, in the event that non-Victorian teams dominate the competition for an extended period.[2]

The current contract requires that at least ten finals matches (plus all Grand Finals) be played at the MCG during every rolling five-year period. This stipulation could require the AFL to schedule a non-Victorian team's home match at the MCG to meet the quota, in the event that non-Victorian teams dominate the competition for an extended period.[2]
Sounds fair.

Yep, and 2022 and 2023 saw 5 matches at the G... so good for 3 more years.

Lol and they think this is a national competition.

I think we're past the point where the AFL would ever schedule a home final for a non Victorian team at the MCG. In the unlikely event that the 10 finals across 5 years quota wasn't reached, I suspect the AFL would just pay the MCC some cash and/or throw in some sweeteners in the following year's fixture just to make the problem go away.

Lol and they think this is a national competition.
Who's 'they'?

The AFL certainly don't think that and anyone who knows anything about footy doesn't.

It's an expanded VFL competition run from AFL House in Melbourne. With the 8 Victorian clubs and the 2 last AFL created, owned and controlled expansion clubs of GWS and GCS holding the balance of power to retain the Melbourne-centred focus.

The 'national competition' thing is just for the marketing brochures.

I think we're past the point where the AFL would ever schedule a home final for a non Victorian team at the MCG. In the unlikely event that the 10 finals across 5 years quota wasn't reached, I suspect the AFL would just pay the MCC some cash and/or throw in some sweeteners in the following year's fixture just to make the problem go away.

Yeah. The value of multimedia rights dwarfs the perceived shortfall in revenue from say, Fremantle hosting a semi final at Optus versus ‘hosting’ a semi at the MCG against the Western Bulldogs.

When those sorts of rules were implemented, finals crowds of 60,000-90,000 were a much larger chunk of overall cashflow.

I think the only requirement is for the GF to be played there. If the cats end up hosting gws in week one, then surely they should be allowed to play at their narrow dung?

Remember them playing Freo at home in a final and lost, also they had to play MCG before as a home final because of crowd numbers?
Not sure if there’s a solid rule on it.
All finals in Victoria are held at the MCG.

The only reason Geelong managed to play Fremantle at Kardinia in 2013 was because all four home teams were Victorian. Hawthorn, Geelong, Richmond and Collingwood.
Finals then were played Friday Night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday night and Sunday. The MCG couldn't take two finals on Saturday. Qualifying Finals are supposed to be the Night games, and Elimination finals the day games. So they swapped Geelong vs Freo and Collingwood vs Port so Geelong could play at Kardinia (it really should've been at Etihad).

With the current Thursday night finals, its supposed to be 1v4 on Thursday, 2v3 on Friday, 5v8 and 6v7 on Saturday.
But they moved Carlton to Friday night to avoid the MCG having two games on Saturday.

If all 4 finals were held in Victoria, they'd probably just have a Sunday game instead of a Saturday game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Lyon fan here, but he's spot on. So is Kornes going to take the same stance with Marshall?

I think Cornes was taken out of context. I agree with him, if you’re going to be out of the game with concussion when there’s been no obvious head knock you shouldn’t be playing. Cornes included Marshall in his discussion and said Todd was probably the same. There’s no way Todd could play in a final with the risk of him going off in the first quarter and us having to use our sub - and he couldn’t be the sub. So how can you be an AFL footballer when you’re effectively a liability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 28

Remove this Banner Ad

Back