Port in a China shop (Port Adelaide to play in China against ...?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like Port are getting a game in china next year

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/por...7/news-story/4e67413e6d11a89a839e4e354c02ce8a

Although I do find this bit interesting
The club will not forfeit a home game at the Adelaide Oval to play in China.

Where exactly do they think they're going to get this extra game from? Convince someone to give up one of their own home games for it? They'd want to be paying very very well for that to happen.

Don't be shocked if we're one of the clubs linked to this pretty heavily although I don't see us giving up a home game for it either. With current sponsor Camperdown dairy really pushing into the China market i'd imagine we'd be interested in giving them exposure if we can.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/por...7/news-story/4e67413e6d11a89a839e4e354c02ce8a

Where exactly do they think they're going to get this extra game from? Convince someone to give up one of their own home games for it? They'd want to be paying very very well for that to happen.

Don't be shocked if we're one of the clubs linked to this pretty heavily although I don't see us giving up a home game for it either. With current sponsor Camperdown dairy really pushing into the China market i'd imagine we'd be interested in giving them exposure if we can.

I can't wait until we're scheduled for a six day turnaround after the Shanghai game.

Oh- because Port are 'important' and they get big crowds at AO (we'll see if that's still the case if they miss the finals again), they shouldn't have to give up a home game :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure those games St Kilda played in NZ were considered home games.

If there was a market for "who Port will play in China" I think we'd be the favourite at $1.50
Could get Essendon over since they already played in that televised game against Port.

Essendon would look at it as increasing on the market they were already slightly apart of.

Well to be honest it could be a good cash injection for our club. A handsome sum of money for giving up a home game + makes sponsors happy. Players would probly enjoy it too.

Would have to be scheduled before the bye for both clubs one would have thought

Well to be honest it could be a good cash injection for our club. A handsome sum of money for giving up a home game + makes sponsors happy. Players would probly enjoy it too.

Would have to be scheduled before the bye for both clubs one would have thought

Existing contracts will be the issue. I'd imagine that we are contracted to play a minimum number of games at the gabba as port would be at the AO. These minimums are in place as they affect things like catering contracts, cleaning contracts etc etc. If we did i'd imagine that a melb club would be asked to play a "home" game at the gabba again.

I do find it interesting that the businessman sponsoring this whole thing and the power is half of a partnership that was knocked back from buying the Kidman cattle empire due to concerns around overseas ownership. One would have to question the motiviation

Wouldnt that be great though if camperdown are trying to crack into the chinese market.

I would absolutly support selling a home game to China if it helps not only us(financially) but also our sponsors.

Obviously as you stated later contracts could be an issue regarding minimum games at the gabba. But i wouldnt mind if it was financially viable for the club and a massive marketing boost for camperdown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could get Essendon over since they already played in that televised game against Port.

Essendon would look at it as increasing on the market they were already slightly apart of.

Essendon would be my pick. It will give them a chance to renew contracts with suppliers that have dropped off since Hird and Dank left the club.

The Power, who have already broadcast a match into China this season through the country's China Central TVnetwork, say they will not sacrifice a home game at Adelaide Oval if the overseas match goes ahead.

The AFL is yet to announce who Port Adelaide would play, with the Power stressing they would maintain all the benefits of a home team for the proposed match.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-14/shanghai-surprise-port-signs-mou-to-play-a-game-in-china
i would not want to give up a home game for this. pretty obvious to me if port want the game over there and to maintain the benefits of a home team they give up the home adelaide oval option not anyone else.
question- what would be the benefits of a designated home game in china besides wearing your preferred strip?

i would not want to give up a home game for this. pretty obvious to me if port want the game over there and to maintain the benefits of a home team they give up the home adelaide oval option not anyone else.
question- what would be the benefits of a designated home game in china besides wearing your preferred strip?

You control all the advertising and the revenue associated with that. You receive money for the game itself being played there, you get all the media stories on you not really the opposition.

Essendon would be my pick. It will give them a chance to renew contracts with suppliers that have dropped off since Hird and Dank left the club.

Cutting out on delivery costs and getting the AFL to pay for shipments from china... would be a schrewd move by the dons ;)

Weren't we looking at a 2017 Singapore home game only last year?

If it is just a single game I'd assume we'd be a decent shot at putting our hand up for the cash injection.

The Power, who have already broadcast a match into China this season through the country's China Central TVnetwork, say they will not sacrifice a home game at Adelaide Oval if the overseas match goes ahead.

The AFL is yet to announce who Port Adelaide would play, with the Power stressing they would maintain all the benefits of a home team for the proposed match.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-14/shanghai-surprise-port-signs-mou-to-play-a-game-in-china

This does not make any sense unless the actual home club is getting some serious money chipped in by someone to pay for essentially the hijacking of a home game - one less game at their home ground, the travel involved and missing out on the ground revenue if Port is actually getting that as part of "the benefits of a home team".

It seems most likely that it'll be one of the clubs who are already selling their home games (Melbourne, maybe) that will effectively sell one to Port instead.

Fav out betting if suggest - we are it

My fear is that we are the other side. Yeah we might benefit financially, but it will be of limited use in making us financially sustainable long term. All it will do is limit the loss we chalk up each year which the AFL basically already covers.

Getting to the onfield side of things, are we already giving up next season as a lost cause? I mean we can't even handle a trip to Perth let alone a trip to China during the season.

I can't wait until we're scheduled for a six day turnaround after the Shanghai game.
You'd think if the AFL had any common sense they would schedule this game so that both teams have the bye the next week. But then again this is the AFL so who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port in a China shop (Port Adelaide to play in China against ...?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back