Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

This has been mentioned a few times over the last few weeks, teams have worked us out. No ruck, clog the midfield, shut down the ball winners and the rest will work out itself.

There's a few ways teams beat us. These seem to be the keys:

-Tag Libba and Bont - they just seem incapable of working through it

-Tackle us hard early on to disrupt the handball game

-control the game tempo through through periods of short kicking, then relying on tall forwards to take marks against and undersized defence

-apply forward pressure so that Dale,Williams & co can't run

-play a half-decent ruck (well der...)

-force us to the rhs wing as much as possible so we can't use our left-footers around the boundary.

I’ll preface this by saying that in no way did umpiring cost us the game last night..

But man. I am so done with footy. I invest so much energy and time I go supporting this league and it’s just a ****ing shit show. How is it officiated so poorly? They just don’t pay holding the ball anymore. That missed call when Baz tackled Amon was unforgivable. There was about half a dozen of them.

I’m all for penalising abuse but it’s such a bullshit free kicks. You’ve got some umpires who don’t care what’s said to them and you’ve got some who get offended by anything said. It should be a fine and not a free kick.

It’s amazing to see how basically every other sport in the world is officiated compared to this shitshow.

I reckon I can could the games of footy I’ve enjoyed (besides dogs wins) on one hand this year. It’s a genuinely crap spectacle.

The morning after

Disappointment and anger has turned to no caring at all (all are not good)

There will be a time this week where we will get confirmation we are playing the Bumbers at venue x.

Then I will move from not caring to hoping we have some pride and beat my most hated team those Bumbers.

Hopefully we have one final act in us

The aspect of Bev presser that amazed me was his comments about us not having a dominant ruck. Everyone knows it but surprised he said it and the effect it could have on English. If we are going for elite honesty how about telling us if Bev is injured?

The morning after

There will be a time this week where we will get confirmation we are playing the Bumbers at venue x.

Then I will move from not caring to hoping we have some pride and beat my most hated team those Bumbers.

Kind of feel a bit sick about it all this morning.

The golden opportunities peed down the drain, the hopes being built up, the self destructive team selections and non selections, Bont probably losing the Brownlow, a potential Elim final exit for a third year in a row, the ruck issue, the lack of fight (really good teams find a way to win the last three weeks).

Beyond angry just utterly despondent now at the fact we get bullied in finals (GWS in 19), beaten up by inferior sides (St Kilda in 20) and just fall away horribly in seasons (17 and 18 and 21). It's pretty gut wrenching.

As a club, the Board have to decide if this is acceptable and if it's not (which I hope they do) they need to do something about it. Players, coaches, staff and admin or all of them, make changes. Don't just sit back and accept this s*** year after year.

The entire reason we lost the St Kilda final last year was was English getting smashed in the ruck.

what did we do about it? Go out and get a 34 year old on his last legs. Don’t forget, Brisbane didn’t offer Martin a contract. And how was it ever going to help us beyond one year?

Watching Bont lose the Brownlow in the last round during the count is going to be painful to watch.

Wines deserves it over Bont this year. Poor Bont has looked cooked for a while. He's been expected to do too much and it has taken a toll on him. Once he wasn't able to carry the team on his back we have looked like a bottom four side.

The aspect of Bev presser that amazed me was his comments about us not having a dominant ruck. Everyone knows it but surprised he said it and the effect it could have on English. If we are going for elite honesty how about telling us if Bev is injured?

He was having a go at him on the bench so I’m not surprised at all. Patience has run out with his complete lack of physicality.

Although it’s been blindingly obvious he’s not going to be a competent ruck, so Bevo should take a look in the bloody mirror and ask himself why he keeps picking him there.

15-4 with the best percentage in the comp and miss top four less than a month later. Mind-boggling. That’s not all Timmy’s fault, coach.

The ruck debacle has killed us and taken any momentum we have.

The selections and Bev’s commentary around the ruck is something the board cannot ignore.

Would be a better idea to have 4 midfielders at the bounce and don’t even contest the ruck given the approach we have.

The ruck situation has sapped any energy confidence we had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am at a loss on how the season has ended. Losing 3 games in a row, players look mentally beaten and lost. Bont must be injured. Libba has lost his form since being tagged, Macrae is fumbling and played his worst footy for a few years. Bailey a Smith has regressed.

They are still trying, hence how we jumped Port but they no longer have the will or desire to do the 1 per centres. It appears it is just too hard for them now.

i think the players realise deep down that Bevo ‘s coaching method, his selection inconsistencies and his stubbornness are making it just too hard.

The last 3 losses are the MC and coaches fault. The players are mentally shot and themes, books and stories can take you only so far.

i am gutted. Thought we had a chance this year. The reality sunk in for me because our midfield, which is the best on paper got smashed again. Port were a 5 goal better team last night. Have not felt this low for a long time as I never thought our list good enough. Yes me are missing a key defender but Keath is amazing. what I don’t understand is why we did not invest more in Young and Sweet as the primarily ruck after Martin went down. Tim is a forward and second ruck. Young has better ruck craft and maybe if we invested 6 or 7 games into him he would be better, but we throw him in on the last game. Where is the forward planning.

Bevo needs to go or we have a review and he steps back from being the control freak he is. He still has qualities to become a successful finals coach (2016 fluke aside) but we need an assistant who has a major say and takes a lot of his responsibilities. I just think he is too arrogant to let this happen. The pain of being a doggies Supporter

We have some soft players and it's costing us. Timmy, JJ and Hunter all obviously have their strengths but FFS I wish they'd all grow some balls because it would make a huge difference.

Even Treloar doesn't go as hard as he should. That missed tackle of his in the last quarter that led to a Port goal (was it the Boak one?) was one of the key moments that cost us the match.

Last edited:
The morning after

I used to hate the bombers. Now I actually respect them because they've done their time and have come out the othwr side. They play a good brand of footy.

We'll be a different prospect this time with Keath back in against Wright.

We have some soft players are it's costing us. Timmy, JJ and Hunters all obviously have their strengths but FFS I wish they'd all grow some balls because it would make a huge difference.

Even Treloar doesn't go as hard as he should. That missed tackle of his in the last quarter that led to a Port goal (was it the Boak one?) was one of the key moments that cost us the match.
Dunno how anyone can say Hunter is soft. He’s gone back with the flight numerous times.

Hunter, Dale and Daniel are three blokes who can hold their head high last night. They were the only ones trying to creat anything.

Bevo needs to go or we have a review and he steps back from being the control freak he is. He still has qualities to become a successful finals coach (2016 fluke aside) but we need an assistant who has a major say and takes a lot of his responsibilities. I just think he is too arrogant to let this happen. The pain of being a doggies Supporter
I agree 100%.

Bevo is still a required coach but he absolutely has too much say. He's too good to get rid of because some of the skills he brings are a huge asset. He proved that during Hawthorn's successful reign when he was an assistant.

Is he still the man for the job as head coach? Possibly. But he has too much say in final decisions. This isn't the 1990s anymore.

Young tried his best and was OK but did any us of think that he would be the main ruck for the whole game? English should have been expected to do at least 50% of the ruck changing with Young as a deep forward. Is it a case that Naughton's form is so bad that English has to be a permanent forward now? I don't understand the strategy.
Think the main reason was to keep Allir accountable. If we didn't Allir would have destroyed us with intercept marking. Not enough targets up forward that demand to be marked closely. Losing Bruce has really messed with our forward structure. Hannan is not the answer.
I know Schache hasn't been great but if he wasn't respected he could torch a side, given the circumstances I would give it a go

Only hope for the Brownlow is Bont having a 10 vote lead heading into the last 4 games. After his BOG against Melbourne he won’t poll.

Think we'll have to roll the dice with Martin. If he's not fit bring in Sweet. Unsure the thoughts behind Young playing ruck but it obviously hasn't worked through no fault of his own.

Not sure what has happened to our midfield. They've been thoroughly beaten the last 3 weeks after not really lowering their colours all year.

The backline can't really be faulted last night. They generated a tonne more inside 50's and we kept the scoreboard respectable.

The forwardline is struggling without Bruce which was always going to happen. Really unsure about team structure there. Bevos moving the chess pieces too much too late in the year.

All in all. What a balls up. Not this game specifically. We had a crack and lost which I can accept. The Essendon and Hawthorn games were abysmal and have cost us a top 4 chance.

I couldn’t help but check the live odds late in the game, we were $1.11 when up by 15 with less than 10 minutes to go.

Good teams find a way to manage the game in that situation.

that last 10 minutes is purely mental. They dug deep and we didn’t, not too dissimilar to our final last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

Back