Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

We all sat here after the 1st final last year, having just witness the saints beat us through ruck domination. Here we are 1 year later watching the same issues. Understand Martin wasn't match ready so we didn't pick him. Sweet was. He's 23, over 100kgs and can compete. He's not a baby giraffe. If you are not going to pick him last night delist him and get someone else in who you will pick.

Structure was horrible and it cost us in the end. Seasons done. Football department needs a serious look in the mirror in the off season as we really have wasted a golden opportunity at another flag.

We all sat here after the 1st final last year, having just witness the saints beat us through ruck domination. Here we are 1 year later watching the same issues. Understand Martin wasn't match ready so we didn't pick him. Sweet was. He's 23, over 100kgs and can compete. He's not a baby giraffe. If you are not going to pick him last night delist him and get someone else in who you will pick.

Structure was horrible and it cost us in the end. Seasons done. Football department needs a serious look in the mirror in the off season as we really have wasted a golden opportunity at another flag.

We were never winning a flag with this defensive group but I didn’t see the coach actively tanking the year and the mids giving up.

Trouble in little China imo.

Hey, the sun came up again this morning. We're in the Finals. I'd rather be in our position than the position of the clubs whose footy season ends this weekend.

Winning will return next weekend whomever we play. And after that, who knows what will happen? Stick with the boys.

Last edited:

We’re on 132.8 and they’re on 132.7 so if they win by any score we are stuffed. I got a B in year 10 Maths.
no they need to win by more than that. If they win by a point their percentage goes down. it only starts going up if they win by more than 12 pints or so… might be more

We have some soft players and it's costing us. Timmy, JJ and Hunter all obviously have their strengths but FFS I wish they'd all grow some balls because it would make a huge difference.

Even Treloar doesn't go as hard as he should. That missed tackle of his in the last quarter that led to a Port goal (was it the Boak one?) was one of the key moments that cost us the match.
yep, Treloar did some nice things but he was as soft as butter in contests

We were never winning a flag with this defensive group but I didn’t see the coach actively tanking the year and the mids giving up.

Our defensive group have been great all year and I thought they were decent again last night. The very least of our problems even if we are one one kpd short.

We absolutely had a shot at the flag this year, if we had 2 rucks, 3 fwd targets and selected our team on form, we'd be sitting top 2 right now with full confidence at a flag tilt.

my theory is the mids have lost belief and hope due to the ruck.
it must be sole destroying to get no easy ones from your ruckman week in week out and watch your opponent's get them. what a waste of prime bont and macrae years.
Bevo's been saying for 3 years that we need to be patient and wait for Tim to develop. Then at the end of 3 years in a huge game, he assesses Tim as so bad he cant even be trusted to take forward ball ups. He was obviously filthy on his last 2 games and last night was an overreaction. By the way, twice in the last quarter after ball ups the loose ball came English's way and it came out easily, so if it was a tactic it backfired. How often is a ball up or throw in 30 out going to result in a marking opportunity for a 205cm guy?

Still very flat. Was an improvement over the Hawks game (I actually thought we played well vs essendon we just couldnt score). The issue is Port and now Hawthorn have really stifled our ball movement. The mids clearance work has fallen off but il back them to rebound they have carried us the last 3 years. It was a game that if we won it we would have pinched it as Port were clearly the better side last night. I actually think one of the positions we need to address is some more pace around the stoppages. We have some big boys in there but we have been carved up at stoppage by Stringer, Boak and to a lesser extend Wingard who all have that quick burst from stoppage. We need that

He was having a go at him on the bench so I’m not surprised at all. Patience has run out with his complete lack of physicality.

Although it’s been blindingly obvious he’s not going to be a competent ruck, so Bevo should take a look in the bloody mirror and ask himself why he keeps picking him there.

15-4 with the best percentage in the comp and miss top four less than a month later. Mind-boggling. That’s not all Timmy’s fault, coach.
It looked more he was revving him up than having a go at him.

Easton Wood could barely hit a target on the full all night. Father time has got him I suspect.
Cordy god bless him gives his best but athletically he just doesn't have the ability to play as a KPD. He is an almost kind of player but we need to move on from him.
Gardener can at least close down space, we should swallow our pride and go heavily for Talia. Highly unlikely to happen but the exact type of KPD we need and get a competitive Ruck by any means necessary

Still shattered this morning. 15 pts up with 9 minutes to play and we choked. Had numerous chances to go inside 50 quickly even if it was a bit of kaos footy yet we stop and prop and wait until port get numbers back. Also Treloar has a chance to mark and we’re away yet libba goes up 1 handed and f**ks up another chance. Where were the voices, just basic junior stuff. We were just so ordinary in this period you just knew what was gonna happen.

Bev can yell at the players all he wants, but if he’s continually playing players out of position that’s on him. Clear as day English isn’t the ruck type

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only genuine ruck on our list is 34.
Only genuine KPD on our list is 29 (although started late, so a few years left yet).
Main goalkicking KPF is 29, and out for 12 months.
Wood monty to retire.
Treloar not young either.

Last 2 years we've pretty much tried to top up, targeted the seemingly right players, but in 12 months or so we'll be back to fielding a much younger team again. So, Bevo - another rebuild in all but name? Will we even bother trying to recruit a mature ruckman? No wonder the stellar midfield are knackered and dispirited.

Still shattered this morning. 15 pts up with 9 minutes to play and we choked. Had numerous chances to go inside 50 quickly even if it was a bit of kaos footy yet we stop and prop and wait until port get numbers back. Also Treloar has a chance to mark and we’re away yet libba goes up 1 handed and f**ks up another chance. Where were the voices, just basic junior stuff. We were just so ordinary in this period you just knew what was gonna happen.
yes, i think we all new deep down that somehow we'd be in this position, theres just a bit of a stench to the group now, wonder if something happened internally

Been thinking about the current situation. I feel like I’ve had my heart broken. It can’t “just be a game” or I/we wouldn’t feel like this. For me it’s a sense of having something given to me and then taken away. I allowed myself to dream about what this year may have brought for us. I felt like we were finally becoming a team and club respected for our ability to grind teams and we were maturing into a team that functioned not only with backs to the wall but also with some expectation on our shoulders. I found yet another level of pride in supporting the club that I hadn’t had before. Not only were we going to make finals but we were going to make it as one of the top premiership fancies. That has seemingly been ripped away in a matter of three weeks. We’re back to the battling unreliable bulldogs who continually fall short. So maybe you could say I’m grieving in a way? I know this all sounds very dramatic but that’s honestly the only way I can explain it. Are we still in the finals? Yes we are and anything could happen but it just doesn’t feel or look right. Bevo looks and sounds like a different guy. Where once you had pride in his defence of the club when asked a truly silly question, he now lambasts journalists for asking very valid and obvious questions. Bont looks like superman without his cape. Libba looks like a different guy. Jacko can’t pick up the ball or stay on his feet. I’m sick of saying forget this year, let’s reset for next year. Next year doesn’t ever seem to come.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bev can yell at the players all he wants, but if he’s continually playing players out of position that’s on him. Clear as day English isn’t the ruck type

He needs a mirror. This is on him. When you bugger around with team selection all year no wonder our structure is all over the joint.

Also agree about lack of fight. Moyd, Morris, Picken would scrap and fight, thats gone. We're soft and roll over easily.

Our defensive group have been great all year and I thought they were decent again last night. The very least of our problems even if we are one one kpd short.

We absolutely had a shot at the flag this year, if we had 2 rucks, 3 fwd targets and selected our team on form, we'd be sitting top 2 right now with full confidence at a flag tilt.

Find it hard to fault that argument. MC and coaches can’t get out of their own way.

Yep 2 holding the ball frees from 105 tackle attempts.
We got the pineapple from the umps last night. They weren't the difference but gee some of their decisions hurt us at critical points. Rozee can throw the ball too himself but Young gets pinged knocking on the ball from a maul. Roarke getting shafted by Razor not paying HTB instead gives a free for "abuse"
Makes a joke of the #freekickbullldogs

We got the pineapple from the umps last night. They weren't the difference but gee some of their decisions hurt us at critical points. Rozee can throw the ball too himself but Young gets pinged knocking on the ball from a maul. Roarke getting shafted by Razor not paying HTB instead gives a free for "abuse"
Makes a joke of the #freekickbullldogs

Razor Ray is an A grade dickhead.

Been thinking about the current situation. I feel like I’ve had my heart broken. It can’t “just be a game” or I/we wouldn’t feel like this. For me it’s a sense of having something given to me and then taken away. I allowed myself to dream about what this year may have brought for us. I felt like we were finally becoming a team and club respected for our ability to grind teams and we were maturing into a team that functioned not only with backs to the wall but also with some expectation on our shoulders. I found yet another level of pride in supporting the club that I hadn’t had before. Not only were we going to make finals but we were going to make it as one of the top premiership fancies. That has seemingly been ripped away in a matter of three weeks. We’re back to the battling unreliable bulldogs who continually fall short. So maybe you could say I’m grieving in a way? I know this all sounds very dramatic but that’s honestly the only way I can explain it. Are we still in the finals? Yes we are and anything could happen but it just doesn’t feel or look right. Bevo looks and sounds like a different guy. Where once you had pride in his defence of the club when asked a truly silly question, he now lambasts journalists for asking very valid and obvious questions. Bont looks like superman without his cape. Libba looks like a different guy. Jacko can’t pick up the ball or stay on his feet. I’m sick of saying forget this year, let’s reset for next year. Next year doesn’t ever seem to come.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I did this last night close to the final siren - which is obviously stupid and an embarrassing, enormous overreaction. I do think at least some of it is the pressures of the current environment, lockdowns etc as I’ve never done anything like that before, but that’s still no excuse.

But I also think it’s the despair of having seemed like we’re one of a few teams capable of winning the flag then be ripped away in three deflating weeks. If we’re honest the signs had been there and we knew our team selection, coaching and over reliance on a few key players would come back to bite us, but we still had hope.

It’s the hope that kills you.

Attachments

• E404BA37-7EDC-4919-8286-35C2CDF058E1.jpeg
    E404BA37-7EDC-4919-8286-35C2CDF058E1.jpeg
    682 KB · Views: 58

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port overrun Dogs 66-64

Remove this Banner Ad

Back