Review Port v Carlton, What do you mean we won?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vossy made a big blue at ht.Took Chincotta of Butters and put him on Rozee.
Butters got into the game and Rozee beat Chincotta .Then Vossy moved him back on Butters at 3/4
Ken won the coaches duel tonight

That was a weird move from Voss, why fix what wasn’t broken.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carlton looked bad, I don't buy in to the less of a break than Port, I think they just had an off night. Even the second quarter was the most impressive seven goals to one goal quarter I've seen.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Agree
That was a weird move from Voss, why fix what wasn’t broken.

Agree was mentioned also by Malthouse and Cameron Ling as a mistake.
Malthouse picked Carltons demise midway through the 3rd qtr.If Port could move the ball properly into the fwd line.
5 DAY break + early injuries

I hate the Muppets running our club as much as the next guy but damn, allow some joy in your life.

We beat the 2nd team in Melbourne with the national focus on the game, coming from 5 goals down.
I don't think we beat them. I think they lost it. We were good enough to take advantage and keep pushing, but gee.

I hate the Muppets running our club as much as the next guy but damn, allow some joy in your life.

We beat the 2nd team in Melbourne with the national focus on the game, coming from 5 goals down.

I allow joy in my day to day life. My rational scepticism can't really allow me to enjoy pointless H&A wins which I know are utterly meaningless in terms of actual success while stinkers is still around. Once he's been removed, hope can filter through and H&A games can be enjoyable again

Every final we’ve played since 2014 has been the opposite result to our previous encounter in the H&A.
Ah I'd never looked at the wins. Only knew that was the case for all the losses, obviously having lost our last 5 knockout finals, against sides we'd beaten in last regular season games. Including Hawthorn in 2014.

Dixon didn't contribute significantly directly, but his presence was enough to unsettle the defence and give Rat and others more space, which they capitalised on. I don't think Rat is going to be able to take the first defender every week.

Replace Dixon with Marshall, I think you lose some of that space, as well as a bit of flexibility in the ruck. Hard call for the coaches.

I think the improved defensive structure, and stronger games from Aliir and BZT, means that if Rat plays he stays forward.

Loved Bergman's game. So glad he's gone back where he belongs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton looked bad, I don't buy in to the less of a break than Port, I think they just had an off night. Even the second quarter was the most impressive seven goals to one goal quarter I've seen.

Carlton weren’t great against us in the first game except for one quarter. However we held them better this game in their off quarters.

Giving him a pass mark for occupying Weitering is as dumb as giving McEntee 2 possession games a tick for forward pressure. Lobbe could be subbed on from the coaches box to be a big occupying bollard.
I don't think Dixon was badly beaten last night, his opponent didn't offer much else other than blanketing him. I've seen lots of other games where his opponent manages both that and to affect other contests and offer rebound. That allowed Rat and MG to kick 5.

Since 2021 Port are now 12 wins from 13 games on Friday nights. There have been a few top 4/8 sides in there including the 2021 QF v Geelong. 7 games at AO, 5 at Docklands and 1 at Kardnia Park earlier this year.

The only loss was the bloody 2022 away showdown loss after the siren when Mayes gave away a stupid head high free to Murphy who couldn't take his kick yet Dawson ended up with the ball.

At Docklands the streak started after the 86 point shellacking North gave us Rd 22 2019 by 86 pts. We are now 11 wins from 12 games and the only loss was last year to Carlton by 50 pts. But only one of the win before last night was against a top 4 side.

Last night I thought move the GF to Docklands and we might have a chance to beat a Vic side in a GF. But we don't play the good Vic sides there too often so can't use that as an omen.

I didn't believe it until there were fewer than 90 seconds left on the clock.

Ratugolea did some nice things up forward. Good to know that option is available if required.

Dixon, I'm sorry but...

Dixon = Statue of Liberty

Carlton weren’t great against us in the first game except for one quarter. However we held them better this game in their off quarters.

In the last quarter at AO this year they killed us at stoppages and scored freely to run away with the game.

This game we won the clearances 42-33 and they only scored 2.3 from stoppages (we scored 5.8). Cripps was especially damaging. Last night Wines had 10 clearances and really stopped Carlton from getting a free run at the ball. He laid some big tackles too.

Under Voss Carlton often blitz a team in a quarter and then hold on from there. They had a lot of close wins last year. I think they scored 5 goals against Sydney from the opening bounce and still lost by 52 points.

The second quarter last night was as much influenced by umpires as anything. Free kicks were something like 7-0 during their run. Otherwise we won 3 quarters of the game and had we converted better would have been in front early in the third quarter.

The one benefit Dixon has is that he takes the oppo's biggest KPD. As good as Georgiades and Ratugolea were last night, they're not having those types of performances if manned up against Weitering.

Very impressive second half. A grind it out type win against a pretty good team - albeit one who were missing a few players and coming off a 5 day break.

3rd on the ladder now, though it's likely they'll drop to 6-7 at the conclusion of the round. The competition has so much parity this year that if they go on a run they could easily end the year with a top 4 spot. That being said, this could be a bizarre year where 14 wins is required to make the 8.

Dixon didn't contribute significantly directly, but his presence was enough to unsettle the defence and give Rat and others more space, which they capitalised on. I don't think Rat is going to be able to take the first defender every week.

Replace Dixon with Marshall, I think you lose some of that space, as well as a bit of flexibility in the ruck. Hard call for the coaches.

I think the improved defensive structure, and stronger games from Aliir and BZT, means that if Rat plays he stays forward.

Loved Bergman's game. So glad he's gone back where he belongs.

Excellent point. I've just rewatched the game on Kayo and it confirms your point. And not forgetting that his opponent all night was Jacob Weitering, who most pundits are suggesting is a strong chance of getting the AA Fullback position. And Voss kept him on Dixon most of the night.

As you say, while Weitering humbled Dixon pretty comfortably it meant that the forwards who were taking marks and getting goals, namely Georgiades and Ratugolea, were able to beat lesser defenders.

A lot has been made of Voss' coaching prowess but I really think that Hinkley's decision to start Ratugolea up forward (I recall that suggestion getting howled down on this board a few days back btw) rattled him and he was just too slow to re-shuffle his match-ups down back to cope in that second half.

And when he did put Weitering on Ratugalea in that last quarter, Dixon responded by deliberately taking his body direct to Weitering, preventing his ability to stop Rats from marking. Take a look at that mark and goal by Rats at around the 16.30 mark of the last quarter to see what I mean.

And yep - Bergs played a ripper. Played tall and strong, with excellent rebound decision making. Back to his best form.

ANGRY EDIT: And FFS, someone tell that idiot Brayshaw and his Seven broadcast buddies that it was not a 'seven day break' we had but six. We played on Saturday night and Carlton played Sunday afternoon. And we travelled - Carlton didn't, just like they didn't do last week, or the week before that and won't have to next week or the week after that. The break had f-all to do with our win you ignorant biased tossers.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port v Carlton, What do you mean we won?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back