Port vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel so happy that Williams has been offered a new contract. Today's display shows that he is the right man to get the boys up each and every week.

We should be a case study in Psychology 101 - how can anyone resolve the performance on a weak-to-weak (sic) basis?

Surely it is the responsibility of the players to bring a least some intensity to each game - they are supposed to be professional.

This is not Choco's fault.

He would have prepared them today the same as he did last week.

The only differenece between last week and this week is brisbane did not show up to play where as melbourne did this game is a clear indication of where ports mindset is at a complete reflection of williams it is sad we have to put up withj 2 more years of this crap:(

This is not Choco's fault.

He would have prepared them today the same as he did last week.

Sorry, but the appalling difference between this week and last week is not a new phenomenon. This has been going on for five years, since we won the flag. Even in 2007 you could make the case that a few minutes of football across several games was the difference between 7th-8th and the utter humiliation we endured on that day (which was instructive in itself). It's not the exact same group of players over that time, so what's (who's) the constant?

Sorry, but the appalling difference between this week and last week is not a new phenomenon. This has been going on for five years, since we won the flag. Even in 2007 you could make the case that a few minutes of football across several games was the difference between 7th-8th and the utter humiliation we endured on that day (which was instructive in itself). It's not the exact same group of players over that time, so what's (who's) the constant?

Maybe the blame is with the board - it's their initiative and decision and they are supposed to have all of the necessary information to make an informed decision.

Maybe the blame is with the board - it's their initiative and decision and they are supposed to have all of the necessary information to make an informed decision.

At the end of the day, yes, they are also responsible for the outcome. They don't prepare the side, but they make that decision on who does. If you believe the scuttlebutt (and really we have no way of knowing for sure) they may well have rolled the preferred position of the President and CE. But that's democracy at work for you. They have apparently made their decision and we have two years to look forward to seeing how that pans out. But I've seen nothing to convince me to expect anything different to the last five years.

At the end of the day, yes, they are also responsible for the outcome. They don't prepare the side, but they make that decision on who does. If you believe the scuttlebutt (and really we have no way of knowing for sure) they may well have rolled the preferred position of the President and CE. But that's democracy at work for you. They have apparently made their decision and we have two years to look forward to seeing how that pans out. But I've seen nothing to convince me to expect anything different to the last five years.

One way to help would be to send players the message strong and long at selection, but Choco's strength in loyalty to players has now become his biggest weakness, if he has the final say at the selection table.

I really hope we can play like we did last week. I've had a few ppl tell me they'll be there for the game against West Coast if they can string 2 games like that together.

Are these people port 'fans'? If so, ****ing piss weak effort to only bother to show up if the team is on winning form. Support the club through thick and thin or don't bother calling yourself a fan.

We'll give them a slap and take the 4 points with a 5 goal win

Club culture transferring to supporter culture :(

Dont expect to come home from work and see this result. Really dont want to watch the replay (must be the 5th time ive said that this year). Ill be glad when this embarrassment of a season is over. A pity that there is no guarantee next year will be any better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont expect to come home from work and see this result. Really dont want to watch the replay (must be the 5th time ive said that this year). Ill be glad when this embarrassment of a season is over. A pity that there is no guarantee next year will be any better.
I too watched a replay of the game today, talk about hard work, this one is as bad as it gets.

If chocco cant turn this around by the end of the season and he is still there then I wont be. I have absoloutely no faith in him or the players at all anymore. I would go even further and say that the club may not survive much more of this. They will be lucky to get ten thousand next week. Im not going. I dont care anymore.

Are these people port 'fans'? If so, ****ing piss weak effort to only bother to show up if the team is on winning form. Support the club through thick and thin or don't bother calling yourself a fan.
To be quite honest, I don't really give a flying fig about winning or losing, obviously winning is the preferred option, but I am having serious issues with getting excited about watching our games and no it's not just from this year. Bit like those food intolerances where once or twice is fine, but a constant diet year in year out is not on.
People not enjoying going to AAMI to watch this crap? I personally cannot hold it against them.

I havent watched the replay yet.. i was at alberton.. so was it a case of

1) us thinking we had won the game before the ball was even bounced
2) not enough defensive pressure in the midfield/forward/backline
3) relying on a couple of players to win instead of playing as a team
4) melbourne were actually too god for us on the day

or something else

Went in with the "don't worry guys, its only Melbourne" attitude. What an absolute joke. The bottom ranking sides must love playing us, because they know we'll under estimate them and they can stick it right up us. **** why don't we ever learn.

Hi to all the Mark Williams fans out there

These inconsistent and weak performances are clear ego and attitude issues. This is not a problem that has just been happening for a week or two, we're talking about since 2004. It was clear that Port thought all they had to do was show up and from what I saw in the coaches box today, the attitude wasn't just with the players. This problem has been going on for a while and like a previous poster said, most of the players have changed over that time, the coach is the only same factor.

The players clearly didn't have their minds on the game. It is up to the coach to either have the players motivated for EVERY game or have them dropped. That goes for all players.

Hi to all the Mark Williams fans out there

These inconsistent and weak performances are clear ego and attitude issues. This is not a problem that has just been happening for a week or two, we're talking about since 2004. It was clear that Port thought all they had to do was show up and from what I saw in the coaches box today, the attitude wasn't just with the players. This problem has been going on for a while and like a previous poster said, most of the players have changed over that time, the coach is the only same factor.

The players clearly didn't have their minds on the game. It is up to the coach to either have the players motivated for EVERY game or have them dropped. That goes for all players.

Agree totally. The club has reeked of arrogance and complacency since 2004. There is a senior core of players and coaches who will be quite happy with one GF and are now just at the club topping up their retirement funds.

Let's just say im not the usual naysayer that frequents these boards.

OK. Now I'm officially a naysayer. :eek:

Fcuk that was weak.

Set shots for goal being missed.
Tackles not sticking.
Getting caught with no options.
yadda
yadda
yadda

Hard to get enthusiastic about the next home game after that performance.

I'll be there next week to support the Club but I expect to see some players made accountable this week for that disgraceful effort today.

No point blaming our forwards, the delivery has been shocking all year and it is all because we put pressure on ourselves.
Our tackling is the worst in the AFL, this is so obvious yet every week it doesn't change.
Our defenders never take the first option, they are hesitant and sides pray on this. We end up getting ourselves into a rut and then this just spreads through the whole team. Lucky we only played Melbourne today and they didn't make us pay as even they should have won by 10 goals.
Pettigrew I have wanted his head since that brainfade in the 07 GF, he should have been cut then, last year he done some of the most ridiculous things and this year he is worse. It took us 15 weeks to finally get hime out of the side and our defence looked so much better last week when he was out yet he comes back in this week and we are pathetic again. Toby tried today and done a few good things but I gave up on him years ago, his hospital handballs and the pressure he puts us under I was hoping he would never play for us again. Peter Burgoyne, sometimes watching him play I think he must be half drunk, he has to be on his last chance by now.
I'm not even going to think of finals now, very shattering and after watching West Coast today it is going to be tough.

Oh well, bring on the changes and next weeks game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back