Autopsy Practice Match, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

And this is a scary path the AFL have taken, umpires can not be questioned. Talk about a DICtatorship...

The AFL statement said a field umpire shall award a free kick against a player or official who:

(d) disputes a decision of an umpire

Ugh, this league, they can keep it. I'm going back to watching matches of Plugger.

Called it. Not even one match into it and the people are fuming.

They want to be given respect, not earn it. Mmm, that's not how it works.

Punished for anything but towing the line. The game's admin are getting closer to the Kremlin each day.

Punished for anything but towing the line. The game's admin are getting closer to the Kremlin each day.
What’s the point of questioning them anyway though? When was the last time you saw one of them say “You know you’re right, here, I’ll change my decision”?

Never ever ever.

It’s a total waste of time and energy and it adds nothing to the game and only sets a bad example for the lower and in particular junior leagues.

They have huge umpiring shortfalls and that’s a problem. Unless of course you want games umpired by the respective teams, like in the schoolyard.

So if cutting down on arguing with them encourages more to start umpiring, at basically no cost to AFL level footy- because the players will adapt quick-smart, if they’re giving away 50m penalties in games for points- then it seems a bit of a no-brained to me.

Just get on with playing and save your energy for doing what you’re payed to do, which is play.

They’ve been questioning umpiring decisions for as long as the game has been played.

Has it ever resulted in a single decision ever being reversed? Not that I’m aware of.

Has it resulted in umpires getting every decision right? Clearly not.

So what does it achieve?

What will we lose if it’s taken out of the game?

Does anyone follow the footy so that they can see those playing arguing with umpiring decisions? Does Ben Long or Dougal Howard going troppo at an ump put bums on seats?

Last edited:
What’s the point of questioning them anyway though? When was the last time you saw one of them say “You know you’re right, here, I’ll change my decision”?

I think we basically want the same thing but with differing methods.

There are some players who are just tools and can't admit they're on the wrong side of a free kick. Clearly if a player is on live TV mouthing the words, "YOU F!@#$$@ D!@!# BLIND S!@@!#" etc. etc. towards an umpire then yes, punish that.

Then there are players who have genuinely been screwed over by the ump and want to know why, learn the interpretation, or feel aggrieved that the umpire is basically calling them a liar when it's the ump who's messed up.

I've had umpires apologise to me, yes it happens, and that's cool and I move on. Respect. It's not about being perfect or reversing decisions, more about acknowledging that it's the umps mistake and not the players mistake for giving away a crucial free kick. Or the ump causing the player to question themselves about the rules, when they haven't messed up at all.

The acknowledgement also helps players know that the umpire isn't incompetent and won't go on being sh*thouse. You can't have them living in a bubble of denial, zero respect. Coaches get judged. Players get judged. Umpires shouldn't be the exception. Everyone else has to own their mistakes. Australia has some of the best soccer refs in the world and we applaud them. Forced suppression is not the way. AFL is not letting umpires earn respect. How are they going to attract people to become umpires when no one respects them? Look at this first match with these "rules", they are making the umpires look like a joke. I'm not blaming umpires here, just to be clear, this is the AFL's doing. I want more umpires coming through, the best get filtered to the top.....

But this newest rubbish will have the complete opposite reaction towards umpires than what the AFL are trying to achieve. I dare say that in lower leagues the suppression, internalisation and build up of grievances will cause a few players to snap.

The players will stop complaining if they're giving away 50s. It makes sense, no one wants to umpire the game because of the abuse they cop. Other sports don't have that issue, for example rugby and netball.

Never ever ever.

It’s a total waste of time and energy and it adds nothing to the game and only sets a bad example for the lower and in particular junior leagues.

They have huge umpiring shortfalls and that’s a problem. Unless of course you want games umpired by the respective teams, like in the schoolyard.

So if cutting down on arguing with them encourages more to start umpiring, at basically no cost to AFL level footy- because the players will adapt quick-smart, if they’re giving away 50m penalties in games for points- then it seems a bit of a no-brained to me.

Just get on with playing and save your energy for doing what you’re payed to do, which is play.

They’ve been questioning umpiring decisions for as long as the game has been played.

Has it ever resulted in a single decision ever being reversed? Not that I’m aware of.

Has it resulted in umpires getting every decision right? Clearly not.

So what does it achieve?

What will we lose if it’s taken out of the game?

Does anyone follow the footy so that they can see those playing arguing with umpiring decisions? Does Ben Long or Dougal Howard going troppo at an ump put bums on seats?

Personally i think umpires should be like Soccer referee's .
Players should take their rulings as gospel.
Umps should refer to players by their number. Cut the chitchat, except for a concise explanation of the free.

They shouldn't be a prominent part of a game and if they have a personality that should be kept for their personal friends.

The players will stop complaining if they're giving away 50s. It makes sense, no one wants to umpire the game because of the abuse they cop. Other sports don't have that issue, for example rugby and netball.
How many umpires on the field in netball and rugby? There might be something in that too.

Reasons that it's difficult to recruit new umpires.
1. It's not full time pro
2. Extreme endurance athletic requirement
3. It's not full time pro
4. a-hole elitist culture
5. It's not full time pro
6-
7-
8-
99. Players arguing
100. It's not full time pro

Ironically the more protected the fans see the umpires the more that they hate them. The Toby Green stuff I get, it should be nowhere near the game but remonstrating about a call is fine if it's civil. Banning will make fans more frustrated at the ump's already over the top influence on outcomes. It's a poorly thought out rule change.

Umpires don't have to earn respect they should expect it as soon as they put on the uniform, just like the police or a teacher for that matter the respect should be automatic to the role. If you want to play the game, live in a society or get an education you accept limits on your freedom to do what ever you feel like doing for the good of the game the society or the class. This is not a normal social relationship of equals if they do a poor job they will be in the VFL the next week if they abuse their authority there are consequences. The crowd can complain all they want but the players need to tow the line play to the whistle and get on with it. Everything that the players do on the field is copied the next day by the U12's who watched the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People will be turning off, I know I won’t watch players penalised for showing emotion. Gill is an idiot, you’ve never been able to touch an umpire or abuse them it’s always been reportable as it should be but this is just crazy.

I didn't see Carlton get pinged for this once so they got the memo - didn't notice it in the Carl StK practice match either just the reigning premier who were more than a little frustrated that Carlton were making them look a bit ordinary.

Ironically the more protected the fans see the umpires the more that they hate them. The Toby Green stuff I get, it should be nowhere near the game but remonstrating about a call is fine if it's civil. Banning will make fans more frustrated at the ump's already over the top influence on outcomes. It's a poorly thought out rule change.
%100

Reasons that it's difficult to recruit new umpires.
1. It's not full time pro
2. Extreme endurance athletic requirement
3. It's not full time pro
4. a-hole elitist culture
5. It's not full time pro
6-
7-
8-
99. Players arguing
100. It's not full time pro
How much do you think they should earn

Umpires don't have to earn respect they should expect it as soon as they put on the uniform, just like the police or a teacher for that matter the respect should be automatic to the role. If you want to play the game, live in a society or get an education you accept limits on your freedom to do what ever you feel like doing for the good of the game the society or the class. This is not a normal social relationship of equals if they do a poor job they will be in the VFL the next week if they abuse their authority there are consequences. The crowd can complain all they want but the players need to tow the line play to the whistle and get on with it. Everything that the players do on the field is copied the next day by the U12's who watched the game.

There's a difference between showing respect, earning respect, and being forced to give it.

There's also a difference between asking about a decision, learning their interpretation, and abuse.

However, the brainstrust seems to think that all of this belongs in one basket.

Everyone arguing about the effect on U12's... we're not debating about abuse. I've said that should be penalised, always has or should've been as far as I know. What is happening now is that questionable looks are being penalised 50m. I wouldn't want to fart in their general vicinity, I'd probably get 6 weeks.

If the AFL are serious about getting more respect for the umpires, from players, the media and fans alike, here are some things they could try:

1. Have a "Best Umprire of the Year" award. Maybe named after Glenn James or Jeff Crouch, etc. Maybe "The Golden Whistle" ?

2. "The Golden Whistle" winner to present the Brownlow. It's voted on by the umpires after all.

3. Maybe let the umps take turns reading the votes out at the Brownlow ?

4. Umpires to have a table at the Brownlow.

5. Umps and their WAGS to attend the Brownlow red carpet, frocked up.

6. Umpires to get a theme song for when they run onto the ground, their own cheer squad and a run through for the Grand Final.

7. Significant pay rise.

8. Umpires back into white gear and goal umpires back into white coats and hats.

9. Players no longer allowed to wear white boots.

10. And so on......

Last edited:
Carlton beat the reigning premiers by 10 goals and we lost to them by only a goal.

We are better than Melbourne

I just asked some Melbourne supporters if they are upset about the practice game....
reply:
"wasshhh ish prashisss game...we winned za grannnnn finallll , imma gonna stop shelbrating shoon....Peraccca you Beeeeewy "

If the AFL are serious about getting more respect for the umpires, from players, the media and fans alike, here are some things they could try:

1. Have a "Best Umprire of the Year" award. Maybe named after Glenn James or Jeff Crouch, etc. Maybe "The Golden Whistle" ?

2. "The Golden Whistle" winner to present the Brownlow. It's voted on by the umpires after all.

3. Maybe let the umps take turns reading the votes out at the Brownlow ?

4. Umpires to have a table at the Brownlow.

5. Umps and their WAGS to attend the Brownlow red carpet, frocked up.

6. Umpires to get a theme song for when they run onto the ground, their own cheer squad and a run through for the Grand Final.

7. Significant pay rise.

8. Umpires back into white gear and goal umpires back into white coats and hats.

9. Players no longer allowed to wear white boots.

10. And so on......

No we don't want good and bad umpires , we want them all to be vanilla.
Its not their game.

But i don't mind your idea of the umps reading out the votes and presenting their human side during the Brownlows.

No they should not attend as guests, nor should their partners be forced to compete with WAGs.

No theme song.

How much do you think they should be paid? I just looked and EPL refs get equivalent of $200 000 - $350 000 per year.
Should our Umps get that much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Practice Match, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back