Pre-season 2014/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

jeez I don't know about that picture of longer, he looks like he's in the village people

It looks like Trent Dennis Lanes mum forgot to by some depilatory cream for her top lip.

PB's posted above and from the article:
Thanks A2R.

I see Minchi ran a PB, but wonder what base he was coming off? He needs to add elite endurance (AFL style endurance, not VFL style endurance) to become a really good player IMO.

I guess running PB's is a good start!

Brad Scott has produced steady improvement and taken north from a middle of the road, non-finals playing side, to a top 4 team. Hes also got a unified admin working behind him, and has the full support of the board. I cant see how being a premiership player has any bearing on those factors.

The intial step, often a difficult one and where you can set off wrong and be screwed from the start, is getting people to buy in to what you're doing. Having titles in the pocket makes people, rightly or wrongly, listen to you.

Interestingly the generally accepted thought amongst elite development coaching is that the best players often make for terrible coaches, as they had talent that others did not. Things such as mental preparation, offseason work, study of the game - a lot of these things mattered less to them as they had talent, awareness and vision/anticipation that, for the most part, cannot be taught. I heard Alan Shearer do a talk the year after he retired where he said he doubted that he would become a coach, as from a young lad he just seemed to know instinctively what to do, where to run, when to be physical and when/how to find space, and that it hurt his head to think how long it would take to teach all that to another person, given he never really had to learn it himself.
Always thought it funny he changed his mind, albeit briefly.

Anyone think this camp was a bit unusual?
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-24/young-leaders-emerge-from-saints-brutal-preseason-camp

I mean I can see some merit in it. Finding out each individual's fight or flight reaction, and their ability to focus during fatigue. And it seems like they were looking for leaders. When I was in France our coach made us start our Wednesday session with running until we were nearly sick, then we would train - he wanted to see us work in fatigued circumstances. That kind of makes sense. And the leaders would stand out you would think - albeit in my experience situations like this lend itself to people speaking up because they think they should speak rather than genuine leadership (see problems Barry Hall mentioned about his last year at the Swans).
But I can't see how its good for a player's well-being when they are in a preseason period. Thats when your body needs to be at it's best as you're building for a season. Torturing people is for offseason.

30 hours of being pushed isnt going to hurt a bunch of 20yos. I am sure army bootcamp is close to the same shit but over a much longer time. Also its still really early in the preseason, I mean the seniors werent even back yet so its not going to cut into any of the latter stuff.

Not just about leadership, but bonding of a core of players they want to take through to 2018-20 (& beyond).

The same players that were predominantly featured as part of #futurefest.

Put them together, way out of their comfort zone and get them to work together to get through.

These young guys are on a journey together.

Not just about leadership, but bonding of a core of players they want to take through to 2018-20 (& beyond).

The same players that were predominantly featured as part of #futurefest.

Put them together, way out of their comfort zone and get them to work together to get through.

These young guys are on a journey together.
06-stand-by-me-best-movies-based-on-books.jpg

I think it was Richo on AFL.com.au's draft preview yesterday, who said that every player was preparing for two positions over the pre-season. I would have already said that most of our players were dual-role players, but if we can add versatility to more players, that can only be a good thing.

I think it was Richo on AFL.com.au's draft preview yesterday, who said that every player was preparing for two positions over the pre-season. I would have already said that most of our players were dual-role players, but if we can add versatility to more players, that can only be a good thing.

I have noticed, as I'm sure most have, that Richo puts a high priority on versatility. If it works out, it's brilliant definitely. The only worry I have is for consistency sake. Rhys Stanley would have been a better forward if we didn't need him in defence, do we detract from the players capabilities if they don't hone a singular craft? I have no idea.

Josh Bruce and Hugh Goddard are two Westhoff possibilities, which has proven to be super valuable in important games for Port, to be able to switch them back or forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does that mean for McCartin? FF and?

I reckon ruck for Paddy, even if just to get him better at forward 50 stoppages.
Rhys Stanley would have been a better forward if we didn't need him in defence, do we detract from the players capabilities if they don't hone a singular craft?
To be fair, that was a Scott Watters decision rather than a Richo decision. But yeah, we definitely shouldn't be throwing players into the deep end like that again.

For McCartin I'm guessing it would mean wing, as a high half-forward. He hasn't had the opportunity to play up the ground much with Country using him as a pure FF (from what I saw), TAC Cup rules requiring him to play the key forward role for Geelong and his injury niggles.

Versatile players are all the rage these days, i think you can get away with McCartin just as a FF and Delaney just as a FB, its our rucks thats the main concern.
Both Longer and Hickey are good tap ruck man but don't do to much around the ground, they are both very young and still learning their trade but i can't see how you fit Roo, White, Bruce, Lee and McCartin + a resting ruck in the forward line.
Then we have Holmes and Pierce, i think Pierce will be the most versatile out of the lot. This isn't really a problem more of a luxury i guess.

What makes you think Pierce is versatile?

He's a 202cm beanpole, not quicke, not a good contested mark and average below the knees. His big asset is his height

Good young prospect as a Ruckman in a few years though...

What makes you think Pierce is versatile?

He's a 202cm beanpole, not quicke, not a good contested mark and average below the knees. His big asset is his height

Good young prospect as a Ruckman in a few years though...
ok expert, only play 1 ruck and let Bruce pick up the slack.

I'm no expert?

It was as question? You still didn't answer it??

Do you think he can play elsewhere, where, why?

I'm no expert?

It was as question? You still didn't answer it??

Do you think he can play elsewhere, where, why?
i think Pierce, out of the little we have seen of him has the most promise as a resting ruck. Hickey and Longer are both number 1 rucks, one of them could find themselves on the trade table. Bruce might provide a bit of flexibility, he's a fierce competitor, very athletic and a good mark. Just don't know if he can ruck, but he may be an option for 5 mins a qtr

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season 2014/2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Back