Training Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't turn it off BT. How will we know if you're looking forward to 2018 or not if you do? ;)

What if I skip 2018 and put 2019 will that confuse people , lol.

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

sorry if this is known news but wife was on the phone to the club today who advised there will be no intraclub game this year due to AFLX and the closeness of the dates with scheduling issues, but family day Friday March 9 down in FRANKO.

personally I'm disappointed because it's something I look forward to, and last year at TBBO we saw the beginning of the Billings.

ffs that is not good news

Excited to hear coff doing well..

I'm expecting Clark to play the first couple of months at sandy and be banging the door down by then.

Coff is a lottery, has assets we need but such an unknown in the midfield against the bigger bodies

Excited to hear coff doing well..

I'm expecting Clark to play the first couple of months at sandy and be banging the door down by then.

Coff is a lottery, has assets we need but such an unknown in the midfield against the bigger bodies
Clark is just so damn skinny coming to us that i can't see him in the side until middle or late in the year. Which is totally fine really but i can see it setting up some pretty mean melts if he's playing good footy for Sandy but not getting a gig in the seniors :p

Given that we had a mountain of cap space to go after Kelly and co and we're probably front-loading the crap out of contracts again (meaning we could have even more at the end of this year), I imagine we'd have more than enough cap space to get Sloane and then pay everyone on our list that we need to going forward, so it's a big yes from me.

We've already got the likes of Billings, Paddy and Acres tied up for a while now, so I don't see it being an issue at all.

I'd think hard about getting him if we had to give up a really good pick or two for him tho.

Given that we had a mountain of cap space to go after Kelly and co and we're probably front-loading the crap out of contracts again (meaning we could have even more at the end of this year), I imagine we'd have more than enough cap space to get Sloane and then pay everyone on our list that we need to going forward, so it's a big yes from me.

We've already got the likes of Billings, Paddy and Acres tied up for a while now, so I don't see it being an issue at all.

Besides, what would we expect to get out of him...two, three years max probably? By which time Paddy and the others will be looking for their big contracts.

Alternatively, the ideal would be that our mid fielders take such great strides this season that we don't actually need him :D;)

Clark is just so damn skinny coming to us that i can't see him in the side until middle or late in the year. Which is totally fine really but i can see it setting up some pretty mean melts if he's playing good footy for Sandy but not getting a gig in the seniors :p
I don't think him being so skinny will prevent him from getting games early, as he won't be playing on the inside, so it won't be that much of a big deal.

I don't think him being so skinny will prevent him from getting games early, as he won't be playing on the inside, so it won't be that much of a big deal.
Bob Murphy could play just about anywhere with a pretty light build. Helps to be damn good, which I think Hunter is or will be. Would be a good topic on the general thread...other lightly built midfielders.

Looking at the out of contract players I wouldn't be surprised for us to target a hff type like dalhaus. One because he's a free agent. Two because he'd be cheap. Three because Richo loves defensive pressure. He'd be an upgrade on Mav. Another option could be billy from the pies.

What will be interesting is the play on GC. Everyone will have their sights set on Tom Lynch. Which will make then vulnerable on the other three:
Hall
Fiorini
Collarjazzknee (cbf trying to spell it right so went with how it sounds)

But I think the big play will be on Gaff. Sloane might like to go back to the wing as he ages so he could be an option but I can't see Adelaide willingly let him go like they've done with other players.

Another crazy option would be getting in early on someone like Martin at GC. There are a number of boys from around the geraldton region that have willingly chosen to play in Melbourne. A number of indigenous boys too so he would have a decent network there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the out of contract players I wouldn't be surprised for us to target a hff type like dalhaus. One because he's a free agent. Two because he'd be cheap. Three because Richo loves defensive pressure. He'd be an upgrade on Mav. Another option could be billy from the pies.

What will be interesting is the play on GC. Everyone will have their sights set on Tom Lynch. Which will make then vulnerable on the other three:
Hall
Fiorini
Collarjazzknee (cbf trying to spell it right so went with how it sounds)

But I think the big play will be on Gaff. Sloane might like to go back to the wing as he ages so he could be an option but I can't see Adelaide willingly let him go like they've done with other players.

Another crazy option would be getting in early on someone like Martin at GC. There are a number of boys from around the geraldton region that have willingly chosen to play in Melbourne. A number of indigenous boys too so he would have a decent network there.
Fiorini is the guy I would like to get , but I expect him to have a big year- for sure- and the gold coast will pay anything to keep him

Out of gaff and Sloane I'd prefer gaff. However the first half of the season might have us re-evaluating what our needs are
We'd almost certainly have to trade for Gaff though (which almost certainly means giving up our first in this draft), whereas if we offered Sloane big coin we'd be a much better chance of getting him through FA and not having to trade for him.

Get Sloane, play Seb and Stuv on the wing a bunch more and hopefully Sincs continues to step up, along with Acres, and we won't necessarily need Gaff any more.

Could definitely see us going after Daulhaus and Hall.

Would cost more than a mil a year I reckon, especially if over only 3. In particular if we wanted to get him through FA without Adelaide matching.

Probably more like $1.25 x 3.

Could easily have 4-5 more top notch seasons in him tho, so I imagine it would take a 4 year deal, at at least $1.1mil PA.

Sloane
Steven
Ross
Dunstan
Steele
Acres
Stevens
Armitage
Gresham
Clark
Coffield
Freeman

There's some midfield depth right there and then you've got the likes of Newnes and Sincs as further options on the wings!

I think it’s silly to be talking about Sloane and Gaf at this stage . First they might have shocking years or fab years and sign huge contracts to stay where they are . Also we don’t know how our mids will go this year . If things all go to plan we mightn’t need another mid . It’s possible that we get Sloane and then someone who might have had a good to great year will suddenly be out of a position and might want to leave rather than play seconds. After all there are already a big bunch of mids and only so many spots for them to play . Especially when you hear the coach say that he would like guys like a Billings and Gresham Clark and Coffield spend some time in the middle . Somebody will end up missing out .

I hate to say it but someone like Acres might find it difficult to get a game next season unless he’s on top of his game from the start . There is no doubt that the coaches will want to push Armo in if he’s fit and match ready . Guys like Clark, Coffield and Freeman might all struggle to stay in the side or even get into the side unless we have injuries or poor form of others.

We'd almost certainly have to trade for Gaff though (which almost certainly means giving up our first in this draft), whereas if we offered Sloane big coin we'd be a much better chance of getting him through FA and not having to trade for him.

Get Sloane, play Seb and Stuv on the wing a bunch more and hopefully Sincs continues to step up, along with Acres, and we won't necessarily need Gaff any more.

Could definitely see us going after Daulhaus and Hall.
Yeh it's a good point and you'd obviously take the free Sloane. You're right about the trade too given WCE parted with their first rounder so they'd want one back.

I just think the fans will riot if Adelaide lose another player let alone one as good as Sloane. I think Sloane is just making sure this contract is massive. Can't see him leaving.

Gaff on the other hand has been maligned at times by wce fans. I could see them kicking off the rebuild and collecting the picks.

I guess the thing for me re Gaff is that for what he'd be likely to cost (probably our first, in what looks like a cracker of a draft) I'm not sure he'd be enough of a "game-changer" to be worth that plus the monetary cost.

Sure if our only wing options were Newnes and Sincs he would be, but with our inside options looking stronger and stronger by the year, we really could potentially be able to play Seb in particular and also Stuv (not to mention Acres, who could break-out at any time, and then Clark and Coffield) on the wings a bunch more, and then our need for a Gaff type (especially at that cost) would be greatly reduced.

I reckon if we get the sort of progression we're confident of from a lot of our younger midfield options this year I'd much prefer to take that first to the draft (if there's someone with real speed and skill there in particular at that pick), and maybe add a Hall at a cheaper price, or a Dahlhaus through FA- if a Sloane isn't available.

I think it’s silly to be talking about Sloane and Gaf at this stage . First they might have shocking years or fab years and sign huge contracts to stay where they are . Also we don’t know how our mids will go this year . If things all go to plan we mightn’t need another mid . It’s possible that we get Sloane and then someone who might have had a good to great year will suddenly be out of a position and might want to leave rather than play seconds. After all there are already a big bunch of mids and only so many spots for them to play . Especially when you hear the coach say that he would like guys like a Billings and Gresham Clark and Coffield spend some time in the middle . Somebody will end up missing out .

I hate to say it but someone like Acres might find it difficult to get a game next season unless he’s on top of his game from the start . There is no doubt that the coaches will want to push Armo in if he’s fit and match ready . Guys like Clark, Coffield and Freeman might all struggle to stay in the side or even get into the side unless we have injuries or poor form of others.

Totally agree BT, we have so much potential in our team now , it is going to be hard for good players to get into the 22.
I think the players we drafted this year will need time like most do before they hit their straps, but players like Phillips , Long , Marshall , White , McKenzie , Lonie , Freeman , Armitage , Goddard , Austin , Rice , Hickey will all be fighting hard to get into the 22 and this is leaving out future stars like Hunter-Clark , Coffield , Paton , Langlands , Clavarino , Minchington and Wright.

Geary - Brown / Austin - Webster
Roberton - Carlisle - Savage / White
Sinclair - Steele - Acres
Weller - McCartin - Billings
Membery - Bruce - Gresham

Longer - Ross - Steven

Stevens / Dunstan / Newnes / Gilbert

If one person is moved from this team it will cause a huge headache for the next guy attempting to get into the side.
For instance , say if Lonie has performed to good in preseason game sand is picked into our best 22, who comes out.
Would they drop Savage ? and move Newnes to half back to bring him into the team.
For sure will will get injuries and have guys being dropped due to form , but our team is now loaded with talent every ones spot will be on the line - hopefully this brings out the best in every player in the squad.

We are in for a hell of a good year - I hope our new draft picks get a run , but gee its going to be tough for them to get a look in.
I was kind of hoping to see a few new faces in the team this year and will get them for sure , but who are the guys who are going to make way.

For sure Austin and Goddard will take Browns spot in the future , but they will have to show they can fill the spot first - I'm pretty sure Austin can fill Browns position if required.

Halfback flank can be filled by many guys - Savage , Newnes , White , Rice , Coffield , McKenzie however Montagna was pretty sure that White would be taking his spot in the back line.

Then there is the wing and half forward - its going to put heat on Acres , Savage , Weller , Newnes.
I'm hoping Acres has a huge year, he has the ability to be anything and he will have to be going good to keep his position with guys like Long , Phillips , Freeman , Battle.

And the fight to be running off the bench is huge with Stevens , Dunstan , Armitage , Newnes , Freeman , Coffield , Clark , Phillips and even Lonie.

I guess the thing for me re Gaff is that for what he'd be likely to cost (probably our first, in what looks like a cracker of a draft) I'm not sure he'd be enough of a "game-changer" to be worth that plus the monetary cost.

Sure if our only wing options were Newnes and Sincs he would be, but with our inside options looking stronger and stronger by the year, we really could potentially be able to play Seb in particular and also Stuv (not to mention Acres, who could break-out at any time, and then Clark and Coffield) on the wings a bunch more, and then our need for a Gaff type (especially at that cost) would be greatly reduced.

I reckon if we get the sort of progression we're confident of from a lot of our younger midfield options this year I'd much prefer to take that first to the draft (if there's someone with real speed and skill there in particular at that pick), and maybe add a Hall at a cheaper price, or a Dahlhaus through FA- if a Sloane isn't available.
Really good points

Have spoken to them, they say if there is anything they will post it, then get told this is a camp for training blah blah blah, Essendon and Melbourne for example are going to local areas (ocean grove in geelong for essendon) and in Qld for Melbourne and BOTH are holding open training sessions why not us...

I see your point, for supporters who live out that way and who can't come in for a regular open session but they do hold community camps around the coast from time to time. But the real business now is getting ready for the season. Maybe on the last day they could allow people in for the last hour or so.

You should email the club.

Have spoken to them, they say if there is anything they will post it, then get told this is a camp for training blah blah blah, Essendon and Melbourne for example are going to local areas (ocean grove in geelong for essendon) and in Qld for Melbourne and BOTH are holding open training sessions why not us...
Because this training camp is about strategy, tactical gameplan and match sim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back