Preview Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Fri 16 Sept, 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely post and when I do it's with information that I have .Cam Gutrie btw

Lauren, Cams partner is part of our friend circle
You don't have to justify yourself wcadams88 .

Anyone that knows you on here knows you don't make stuff up for the sake of it. Let's hope he is good to go by Friday.

Thank you for the info 👍

That is absolutely terrifying to watch, I hope those were the few exceptions. The other way to phrase that with an inch of composure and vision Collingwood had free players everywhere.
I think it can only work with extreme pressure being applied on the ball-carrier in the midfield. That's where our pressure players are located. In this instance, that Collingwood player with the ball will go for the first open player he sees as he's trying to get rid of the ball. I suspect that in most instances, Stewart and Duncan leave an open player knowing that that will be the most likely option and they can close it down quick enough. The wingers would be running hard in this instance to provide that cover we need, should they make a mistake.

It seems like high risk, but through a season of practise, mature players and players that have played with each other for years, they'd be very very good at it.

We hear so much about teams that apply pressure across the ground - but I don't think I've seen them talk too much about how it appears that only some of our players are designated for this role. I remember Chris Scott was asked about pressure and He did say that he didnt find it as valuable as other aspects and then he started to talk about 'pressure-points' before he digressed.

I think we have a very hybrid system at the moment. We could theoretically be picked off if teams have more composure - but as Montagna said it - we keep shifting our style within the game. So opposition players are not sure what exactly to do. If they are composed and hit up an open player, then we may have already folded back. Or we may be lingering nearby and can defend that mark. That confusion, coupled with a combination of slow/fast kick-mark/handpass when we attack probably causes headaches unless teams are highly adaptable. Having players like Duncan, Tuohy and Stewart in the team with big voices and alot of experience probably allows our defence to adapt on the fly. If they see Howe or Sidebottom with the ball, they probably fold back. If they see a less composed player, they probably attack aggressively. They'd know who are the opposition players who go long, who goes short, who likes to handpass, who is composed etc.

I think the learning/studying aspect of a football team is simply not focused on enough. They are not just athletes, they study this stuff day in day out and alot of them are quite smart. They likely practise what to do if certain opposition players have the ball and drill it over and over. Then they dissect their mistakes or what did work. AFter a game, they come in on Monday with their onfield learning for the review and discuss how it worked in a live game.

CS also mentioned this prior to the Collingwood game - where he said something like "If the game is contested, then that's how we'll play, if it's open, then we'll adapt to that".

We've also seen the team be able to go in at quarter time and completely arrest the momentum of another team - and they've been very good teams we've done it against. We come out with a different style after a reset - and that puts a team with momentum on the back foot immediately as we suddenly are not playing the same. I've not seen other teams in the past be able to do that consistently - generally a team ontop will stay ontop for four quarters and the other team is playing catchup.

I was going to say - and here we all were talking about match-ups and who would get Hipwood and Cameron and McStay..

I would normally say that these formations behind the ball they're showing us are based more on offence than defence. It's more about what we want happening as soon as we get the turnover - who's free, how quickly we're planning on moving it forward and in what direction (through the corridor, switching the play etc).

But it seems the added bonus is that perhaps you also become a little harder to score against when the opposition is looking up and seeing something different structurally each time they have the ball on transition.
Yes, and when the turnover happens in our favour - guess what, we have mismatches all over the ground because of this seemingly chaotic positioning.

Not concerned about Hawk, he plays a billion % game time every week so he doesn't need to do anything really, signs point to Kolo being OK?
Half expecting to see no changes tonight now

Not concerned about Hawk, he plays a billion % game time every week so he doesn't need to do anything really, signs point to Kolo being OK?
Half expecting to see no changes tonight now
of all teams Brisbane is good to have kolo in for. They have joe, resting ruck, hipwood and mcstay. With kolo at least we wont be forced to be outsized with say zuthrie on a tall.

Somebody in the media tried to say kolo might be played on Cameron. :tearsofjoy: Charlie is agile, explosive and goal smart- everything kolo isn't. At least put him on a tall where he is at least ok overhead for the love of god haha.

of all teams Brisbane is good to have kolo in for. They have joe, resting ruck, hipwood and mcstay. With kolo at least we wont be forced to be outsized with say zuthrie on a tall.

Somebody in the media tried to say kolo might be played on Cameron. :tearsofjoy: Charlie is agile, explosive and goal smart- everything kolo isn't. At least put him on a tall where he is at least ok overhead for the love of god haha.
Kolo on Cameron would work if the ball is bombed in, but if they put the ball out in front of Cameron he will run rings around Kolo. Bews, Zuthrie are better matchups. O'Connor got towelled up by Cameron last time we met. Would have learned a lot from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bews will get cameron. Kolo will get someone like mstay or rayner (if kolo plays).

Disappointing on Parfitt. A rusty Kolo worries me. Structurally it makes sense.

Hopefully it’s O’Connor for Kolo if they won’t entertain bringing Parfitt back in. Kolo’s lack of composure could literally be the difference between us winning a flag and not. We have ample evidence now that he isn’t up to finals footy. Scott needs to cut him off.

Hopefully it’s O’Connor for Kolo if they won’t entertain bringing Parfitt back in. Kolo’s lack of composure could literally be the difference between us winning a flag and not. We have ample evidence now that he isn’t up to finals footy. Scott needs to cut him off.
If we'd applied that same logic to Rohan in the QF, and not selected him, we'd not be in a prelim right now.

I'd also argue that if Kolo is literally the difference between us winning a flag or not, we are not the real deal afterall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back