Premier A 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No (Xavs) "BIG" ins to speak of as yet, but that is sure to change..............early days.

Any other new year updates? As the students aren't back yet, I have not heard of any updates. Popped my head out last Wednesday, Blacks were training but no notable big player.

Any other new year updates? As the students aren't back yet, I have not heard of any updates. Popped my head out last Wednesday, Blacks were training but no notable big player.

I think the VFL, EDFL and other paying Leagues have put a "drag net" through the VAFA and similiar
leagus, hoping to scoop up some new talent. Sign of the times.......

I think the VFL, EDFL and other paying Leagues have put a "drag net" through the VAFA and similiar

Agree. Hard to retain, harder to attract. $1500 bucks a week to train once and play 1 game a week is too much for some people to refuse. 3o grand pays your mortage for a year

Still interesting to read on other boards how that paying culture is destroying the fabric of competitions. It's not sustainable for all but 1-2 team per league. Although i dont want to get bogged down in that discussion as we'll hijack this board completely.

Still interesting to read on other boards how that paying culture is destroying the fabric of competitions. It's not sustainable for all but 1-2 team per league. Although i dont want to get bogged down in that discussion as we'll hijack this board completely.

Well said Penski. We could fill several threads on this issue. Our club seems to be getting touched up more and more these days by clubs paying way over the odds just so they can remain competitive. Looks like we have lost a couple of our best players to a country club who were apparently on their knees financially a few years back. Seems the lesson was not learnt as the cheque book has been opened well and truly.

Interesting comments about the Xavs departures. Some big names there but they were so far ahead of the rest last year in both senior and reserves that they can probably cover those losses with relative ease.

I believe that is Sapuppo retiring.
Didn't he play in the twos most of last year.
I hear on the grape vine.......Xavs have lost: Colbert, Wynne, Pat Ambrose, Murphy Ambrose, Ball, Rogerson. A big ruckman they had last year? Goss not playing 1st half of year.
Is it a fait accompli the VFL listed players are "lost". Won't they be available to play when not required or when their VFL team isn't playing?

Didn't he play in the twos most of last year.

Is it a fait accompli the VFL listed players are "lost". Won't they be available to play when not required or when their VFL team isn't playing?

VFL clubs very reluctant to let their senior blokes play for their local clubs during byes preferring to ‘rest’ them. They are bit more forgiving with 2s players but not the more established senior guys. Think we got 1 game out of Tim Allan last year and 0 from Xav Murphy. Josh Scipione has not been released to play a game for us in 4 years!

VFL clubs very reluctant to let their senior blokes play for their local clubs during byes preferring to ‘rest’ them. They are bit more forgiving with 2s players but not the more established senior guys. Think we got 1 game out of Tim Allan last year and 0 from Xav Murphy. Josh Scipione has not been released to play a game for us in 4 years!

And its amazing how having a VFL listed player back for just one game can actually do more harm than good (not knowing the game style/plan that well, forcing others to play out of position). It doesn't always work out as well as you thought it was going to when you hear at selection that player X from the VFL is available this week!

I know it all too well.

It is my understanding that a lot of the players who have been signed up by the new AFL reserves teams (Richmond, Footscray and Essendon) have been done so on a premise that they have to play a certain number of games with their home club. This may be an issue though if one of these teams is severely hit by injury...

It is my understanding that a lot of the players who have been signed up by the new AFL reserves teams (Richmond, Footscray and Essendon) have been done so on a premise that they have to play a certain number of games with their home club. This may be an issue though if one of these teams is severely hit by injury...

Pretty much my understanding too!

It’s never been as restrictive as some have suggested either. Xavs have had quite a few VFL listed players who have been able to suit up during the season from time-to-time. Colbert has been moving back and forth for years. Hine played a lot of footy at Ormond and at Dairy Bell despite having VFL commitments.

Pretty much my understanding too!

It’s never been as restrictive as some have suggested either. Xavs have had quite a few VFL listed players who have been able to suit up during the season from time-to-time. Colbert has been moving back and forth for years. Hine played a lot of footy at Ormond and at Dairy Bell despite having VFL commitments.

True but Colbert gave up his VFL commitment around 2010/11 and has been a ‘full time’ Xavs player since then. Hine was on the fringe at C’wood and played a lot more VAFA games then VFL. Seems once they make the grade as an established in the senior group they are reluctant to release them these days – Hellier has barely been sighted in a SBMT jumper since he broke through at C’wood. I agree with Penski - Unless they are legitmate chance of qualifying for finals for finals it is probably does more harm then good to play them for the occasioanl game anyway.

Interesting concept of ‘conditional' signing on at VFL clubs. Have not heard that one. How many games do they have to play for their home club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys are thinking of the club other than the individuals, good luck to them if they want to try to make it at VFL, there is a life outside of the VAFA.

Brian. What the hell are you taking about? It seems that the posts are simply discussing the recent reluctance of VFL clubs to let their top rung of players have a kick for their local club on VFL bye weekends. Don’t know how you read this as having a go at them. I’m all for blokes wanting to have a crack a higher level. I expect most informed posters on here would agree.

With the expansion of the VFL, of course ‘A’ grade clubs will be hit up. They might even grab a few from your grade;)

Havent heard a peep from Old Trinity or Old Brighton although i saw that Sandringham have just signed a player by the name of Raury Bolger who Sandy's website says is from Old Brighton, yet sportingpulse has him as a Beauy player from their U/19's the past 2 seasons.

I hear on the grape vine.......Xavs have lost: Colbert, Wynne, Pat Ambrose, Murphy Ambrose, Ball, Rogerson. A big ruckman they had last year? Goss not playing 1st half of year.

Wynne = Richmond vfl
P.Ambrose = Essendon
M.Ambrose = recovering from broken jaw/essendon vfl
not involved at xavs so dont know anything about
Ball, colbert, rogerson or goss

a big ruckmen, do you supupo who played in the 2's prem & retired or Taglibu who was essendon vfl?

Wynne = Richmond vfl
P.Ambrose = Essendon
M.Ambrose = recovering from broken jaw/essendon vfl
not involved at xavs so dont know anything about
Ball, colbert, rogerson or goss

a big ruckmen, do you supupo who played in the 2's prem & retired or Taglibu who was essendon vfl?

Members section, not sure on your last question cant say.

Something to watch. He's full-time at the Saints I understand. But Harvey managed quite a few games with OH when he was full-time with the Blues.
I'm told he was financially recompensed for 'coaching advice' last year at Scotch College but has not been offered the same deal this year.

I'm told he was financially recompensed for 'coaching advice' last year at Scotch College but has not been offered the same deal this year.
My understanding is the deal that extricated him from the Blues was employment at the College. Now that he's full-time with the Saints that wouldn't continue. Whether he still wants to pull on the boots only time will tell. I suspect we've seen the last of him as a VAFA player. Big loss for Scotchies if that is so. Don't think I've seen a better kick running around in the ammos.

My understanding is the deal that extricated him from the Blues was employment at the College. Now that he's full-time with the Saints that wouldn't continue. Whether he still wants to pull on the boots only time will tell. I suspect we've seen the last of him as a VAFA player. Big loss for Scotchies if that is so. Don't think I've seen a better kick running around in the ammos.
Let me assure you, AM, Lindsay was never employed by Scotch College. Paid money? Yes.

Let me assure you, AM, Lindsay was never employed by Scotch College. Paid money? Yes.
Take your word for the employment at the College. Will steer clear of the last bit.

Appears from his tweets early this year he intends continuing with Scotchies when time permits.

ejh6ch.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back