Premier A 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be interesting to see if Old Xavs can turn their season around. To make the finals, they would have to win 11 games and hope for a lot of luck to come their way. When was the last time Old Xaverians fail to make the finals?

Are St Bernards the real deal?
Too early to tell. 5-1 means they well and truly in the mix. A win against Blacks, a narrow loss against Trinity is a solid early season form line. Looking at the weekends playing list, no Chad Jones, no Shaun Clarke (1st ruck), and Alex Mcleod at Essendon would be 3 handy INS, otherwise, they seem to be close to full strength. Post Queens Bday 2 very big tests against Beauie and Scotch to round out the first half of the season. Those games will go some way to better answering your question. Importantly, their reserves are 6-0 and have beaten Blacks and Xavs - so it would seem they have depth.

It'll be interesting to see if Old Xavs can turn their season around. To make the finals, they would have to win 11 games and hope for a lot of luck to come their way. When was the last time Old Xaverians fail to make the finals?

Xavs turning their season around???? Can anyone see them beating (on current form) OS, Bern, Blacks or OT in the return games?

I dont think so. They have only beaten Coll and that was by 3pts (lucky to do that I hear).

Relegation ??? no way. Bedes, OB and De La before Xavs.

I think Bernards are the real deal this year. They lost in round one but I never take too much notice of results until a little later in the season. Teams might be adjusting to new coaches, game plans, players in those early weeks, so besides the 4 points the loss is neither here nor there. Trinity are the real surprise packet for me. Im very impressed by their early season form.

Xavs wont make finals (cant wait for someone to throw this back in my face in 12 weeks). They need to win 10 from 12 and I can't see them doing it this time. In saying that, they'll beat Brighton this week and make the equation 9 from 11. Then they have DeLa straight after the break and I think they'll win that, suddenly its 8 from 10. Facing a (currently) struggling SBMT, they should make it 7 from 9. In round 10, they play Collegians who havent been superb this year, win this one and it's 6 from 8. After the break is when they will be tested. The next four games are against, Scotch, Beauie, Bernards and Blacks. That's a tough month of footy.

I'm interested to see if any teams can pull together a couple of recruits before the June 30 deadline. Wouldnt surprise e if Xavs have a couple that no longer play VFL.

I think Bernards are the real deal this year. They lost in round one but I never take too much notice of results until a little later in the season. Teams might be adjusting to new coaches, game plans, players in those early weeks, so besides the 4 points the loss is neither here nor there. Trinity are the real surprise packet for me. Im very impressed by their early season form.

Xavs wont make finals (cant wait for someone to throw this back in my face in 12 weeks). They need to win 10 from 12 and I can't see them doing it this time. In saying that, they'll beat Brighton this week and make the equation 9 from 11. Then they have DeLa straight after the break and I think they'll win that, suddenly its 8 from 10. Facing a (currently) struggling SBMT, they should make it 7 from 9. In round 10, they play Collegians who havent been superb this year, win this one and it's 6 from 8. After the break is when they will be tested. The next four games are against, Scotch, Beauie, Bernards and Blacks. That's a tough month of footy.

I'm interested to see if any teams can pull together a couple of recruits before the June 30 deadline. Wouldnt surprise e if Xavs have a couple that no longer play VFL.

I think you can take that last comment to the bank! That is a stone cold certainty that Xavs will grab 1-2 high quality transfers before the window closes (or pull a Dom Berry-esque manouver and get one after the deadline!)

Too early to tell. 5-1 means they well and truly in the mix. A win against Blacks, a narrow loss against Trinity is a solid early season form line. Looking at the weekends playing list, no Chad Jones, no Shaun Clarke (1st ruck), and Alex Mcleod at Essendon would be 3 handy INS, otherwise, they seem to be close to full strength. Post Queens Bday 2 very big tests against Beauie and Scotch to round out the first half of the season. Those games will go some way to better answering your question. Importantly, their reserves are 6-0 and have beaten Blacks and Xavs - so it would seem they have depth.

Also missed Josh Madden on the weekend who was a late out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah sure are,Blacks and Bernards G/F for mine.Scotch and Trinity next best chance.A week ago maybe Sharks in the mix but they cant trouble the good sides with so many smalls.Xavs are more than capable and yet may still get the chocolates.
I reckon there will be plenty of upsets along the journey......

I personally believe that Blacks and Bernard's ressies success thus far stands them in very strong stead, as clearly both have solid depth. But, Beauie ressies also having a solid season - I am not sure I agree re their number of smalls, I just think Beauie are well and truly in the mix. I actually put Scotch (at full strength) right in the hunt, and I rate OT. My only question mark is their (OT) depth of talent.

I'd include all 5 as solid chances.....I agree Bernards and Blacks AT THE MOMENT probably look marginally better than the pack (both rated 1 or 2 offensively and defensively after 6 rounds) but I also reckon any of the 5 listed sides on their day can upset any of the other sides.

I would count out OB, De La, St Bedes.........Xavs are Xavs - they are competitive with a large number of players out, and so will win many games as they start to get players back, and I think Collegians are solid.

I personally believe that Blacks and Bernard's ressies success thus far stands them in very strong stead, as clearly both have solid depth. But, Beauie ressies also having a solid season - I am not sure I agree re their number of smalls, I just think Beauie are well and truly in the mix. I actually put Scotch (at full strength) right in the hunt, and I rate OT. My only question mark is their (OT) depth of talent.

I'd include all 5 as solid chances.....I agree Bernards and Blacks AT THE MOMENT probably look marginally better than the pack (both rated 1 or 2 offensively and defensively after 6 rounds) but I also reckon any of the 5 listed sides on their day can upset any of the other sides.

I would count out OB, De La, St Bedes.........Xavs are Xavs - they are competitive with a large number of players out, and so will win many games as they start to get players back, and I think Collegians are solid.

Heard from an OT player that they will have 5 -6 of their current team departing later in season. They are desperate to keep
winning so as to have some "credit" on the ladder re : wins. Will be interesting to see what pans out.

Can only go on what I"ve seen so far,I don"t underestimate beauy,just seen 4 teams I.M.O. that have got them covered.The next couple of games will tell a story,and if I"m off the mark would be more than happy to re think the credit where its due.

Heard from an OT player that they will have 5 -6 of their current team departing later in season. They are desperate to keep
winning so as to have some "credit" on the ladder re : wins. Will be interesting to see what pans out.
I have heard the same thing…..will really hurt them if it is true and they lose 5 or 6 1st pick in their best 22. Their ressies depth is not that strong.

Can only go on what I"ve seen so far,I don"t underestimate beauy,just seen 4 teams I.M.O. that have got them covered.The next couple of games will tell a story,and if I"m off the mark would be more than happy to re think the credit where its due.
Fair call….I reckon your pick for GF teams is on the mark based on first 6 rounds, Bernards and Blacks a strong form line….I just think Scotch will be a smokey (though I have not seen them yet, that is based on feedback from a mate whose opinion I trust), and if those Trinity players do go o/seas (5 or 6 players apparently) then they will clearly struggle to sustain their current win/loss ratio……gotta love amateur footballers travelling o/seas mid-season!

Fair call….I reckon your pick for GF teams is on the mark based on first 6 rounds, Bernards and Blacks a strong form line….I just think Scotch will be a smokey (though I have not seen them yet, that is based on feedback from a mate whose opinion I trust), and if those Trinity players do go o/seas (5 or 6 players apparently) then they will clearly struggle to sustain their current win/loss ratio……gotta love amateur footballers travelling o/seas mid-season!

Theres only one thing worse than players going OS mid season..........and thats the ubiquitis Sat arvo Wedding. never fails to amaze me.
Who would be a coach????

Theres only one thing worse than players going OS mid season..........and thats the ubiquitis Sat arvo Wedding. never fails to amaze me.
Who would be a coach????

Wonder how many ‘A’ grade clubs will get touched up by the mid season travelers. Seems Trinity have a few established senior guys who will be missing for while. A mountain of blokes from my club traveling this year with some more set to depart. To the best of my knowledge only 1 or maybe 2 more senior regulars heading off as most of the senior travelers did not play at all this year. Will be a loss but easier to cover 1 or 2 then 5 or 6. However the impact through the club will be substantial. Our 2s battling this year already and I just cant see how we can sustain a 3s side over the coming months. Numbers have been shaky all year and with another 10 or so jetting off and injuries starting to kick in I think the future for the 3s might be bleak.

As frustrating as it might be it’s hard to begrudge a young bloke who plays footy for nothing taking off to travel the globe. Obviously magnified this year due to the world cup.

Wonder how many ‘A’ grade clubs will get touched up by the mid season travelers. Seems Trinity have a few established senior guys who will be missing for while. A mountain of blokes from my club traveling this year with some more set to depart. To the best of my knowledge only 1 or maybe 2 more senior regulars heading off as most of the senior travelers did not play at all this year. Will be a loss but easier to cover 1 or 2 then 5 or 6. However the impact through the club will be substantial. Our 2s battling this year already and I just cant see how we can sustain a 3s side over the coming months. Numbers have been shaky all year and with another 10 or so jetting off and injuries starting to kick in I think the future for the 3s might be bleak.

As frustrating as it might be it’s hard to begrudge a young bloke who plays footy for nothing taking off to travel the globe. Obviously magnified this year due to the world cup.

Rooster says it all. The injuries these kids suffer from playing footy for the fun of it with their mates is substantial. Usualy personaly out of pocket for med bills etc... Cant blame them heading off to warmer environs in a Melb winter. The only upside (if there is one) is that all teams are in the same "boat".

Rooster says it all. The injuries these kids suffer from playing footy for the fun of it with their mates is substantial. Usualy personaly out of pocket for med bills etc... Cant blame them heading off to warmer environs in a Melb winter. The only upside (if there is one) is that all teams are in the same "boat".
Uni Blues and Blacks both have a number of players heading overseas. Blues with two and I'm told Blacks have 4 senior players missing from July.

So a big round this week:
Beauy vs Scotch -
Brighton vs Xavs
Collegians
vs SBMT
Blacks vs Trinity
DLS vs Bernards

I've picked too many away teams. Maybe Blacks will get over OT? OT will be setting themselves for this game before the break though. Again, I think it's more important for them to win than the Blacks.

Xavs will start their run this week against Brighton at the Beach.

Scotch to get over Beauy in a tight one. Beauy will want to bounce back after last week.

Collegians should account for SBMT but I found this one hard to pick.

Bernards are the in form team of the competition and will give DLS a hiding.

The big fella said 2 outa 3 ain't bad, but 1 outa 5 isn't flash. I might retract my earlier statement about De La being on the B Grade train; it certainly looks like they are digging deep and you would think they would be favoured to stay up after today's effort. St Bede's in all sorts of trouble, and you would have to look up the record books to see when was the last time the two reigning grand finalists were relegated, but after today you would think it's a chance. Sharks at the Pit next week will be huge

14_07_a.gif

:thumbsu: De La

One of the better games of amateur footy today at Dairy Bell.

It's a long time since I've seen an amateur side apply the sustained tackling pressure the La-La's applied in the first quarter today. The telling stat was on Rock's coaching white board at quarter time - of the 16 turnovers the La-La's had caused 14.

Problem with the La-La's is they are short people which might tell as the year goes by. A positive is they don't stuff around with the ball to the degree they have in by-gone years. Using the foot to greater advantage.

Quite impressed with what I heard of their coach at quarter time too. Disappointed they got over the line though.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back