B Section Premier B 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the remaining six games, the top four sides play each other as follows:

Bernards - only have Beauie away left
Blacks have Carey and Beauie left - both home games
Carey have Blacks (away) and Beauie (home) left
Beauie plays all three of the other current top 4 teams - Bernards at home, the others away games

Reckon that means Bernards would be short priced favourite to secure the double chance.
Blacks and Carey at same odds to grab second spot - round 14 game is huge
Beauie to finish 4th

I have discounted Caulfield - just not up to beating Blacks (home) or Bernards (away) in the run home.

Agree Bagman.
Fields are gone. Today was D-Day and the scores suggest no cigar.
I had heard at training the message this week was ‘line in the sand’. Fields had been disappointing of late and remembered the embarrassment of round 1. It was today or never. They had some goodies missing. Like Baltas, Keegan, Logan, Reilly, Mclelland...but still had a strong team. On the other hand the Panthers were without much better players. No Coull. No Jones or Jaksch up forward. No King, Thompson, Lock, Evans and a host of others. If they couldn’t win today against Carey they are no chance for finals.
Carey v Blacks will decide who comes second.
Beauy will be a tough 1st semi for the loser of that game. They are finding form.
And the relegation battle has really tightened up. AJAX just stopped today after quarter time. So disappointing. It’s almost like Mark Williams’s team is choking. Or I may be wrong..

In the remaining six games, the top four sides play each other as follows:

Bernards - only have Beauie away left
Blacks have Carey and Beauie left - both home games
Carey have Blacks (away) and Beauie (home) left
Beauie plays all three of the other current top 4 teams - Bernards at home, the others away games

Reckon that means Bernards would be short priced favourite to secure the double chance.
Blacks and Carey at same odds to grab second spot - round 14 game is huge
Beauie to finish 4th

I have discounted Caulfield - just not up to beating Blacks (home) or Bernards (away) in the run home.
If Beauy lose all those three and slip up against a desperate relegation bound side Caulfield could still sneak in. I think Blacks or OC would be slightly relieved if they did. Both have been more than tested by the Sharks. The loss to OH will most likely cost Caulfield however.

Agree Bagman.
Fields are gone. Today was D-Day and the scores suggest no cigar.
I had heard at training the message this week was ‘line in the sand’. Fields had been disappointing of late and remembered the embarrassment of round 1. It was today or never. They had some goodies missing. Like Baltas, Keegan, Logan, Reilly, Mclelland...but still had a strong team. On the other hand the Panthers were without much better players. No Coull. No Jones or Jaksch up forward. No King, Thompson, Lock, Evans and a host of others. If they couldn’t win today against Carey they are no chance for finals.
Carey v Blacks will decide who comes second.
Beauy will be a tough 1st semi for the loser of that game. They are finding form.
And the relegation battle has really tightened up. AJAX just stopped today after quarter time. So disappointing. It’s almost like Mark Williams’s team is choking. Or I may be wrong..

It just goes to show you the amount of "footy intelligence" that abounds at AFL HQ
Some examples : Schneider takes Beauy FROM A to B and gets promoted to a Reserve job in the AFL.
McKenna goes from the Suns to Beauy, hardly setting the world on fire.
Eade also from the Suns to Balwyn. Where a couple of top recruits walked when they knew he was coming. Plus they
are struggling to make the 4.

It just goes to show you the amount of "footy intelligence" that abounds at AFL HQ
Some examples : Schneider takes Beauy FROM A to B and gets promoted to a Reserve job in the AFL.
McKenna goes from the Suns to Beauy, hardly setting the world on fire.
Eade also from the Suns to Balwyn. Where a couple of top recruits walked when they knew he was coming. Plus they
are struggling to make the 4.
There's another B Grade coach you could add to that list; Talks to his players like they are children IMO, and if i was a child i'd find it disrespectful. McKenna is probably a rough example however. He seems to be placing Beaumaris in a good position to at least contend for promotion, having lost players and with a relatively young list.

There's another B Grade coach you could add to that list; Talks to his players like they are children IMO, and if i was a child i'd find it disrespectful. McKenna is probably a rough example however. He seems to be placing Beaumaris in a good position to at least contend for promotion, having lost players and with a relatively young list.

Mark Williams?

There are at least 3 opposition coaches this year that MW has either.
A. Not accepted a beer from post game.
B. Abused during game.
C. Not accepted a post game handshake.
D. All of the above.

Go the D. Go the D...

B. Abused during game.
D. All of the above.

Go the D. Go the D...
Not that it really matters, but I don’t think Chocco drinks. Maybe he’s done away with the handshake too?

Not that it really matters, but I don’t think Chocco drinks. Maybe he’s done away with the handshake too?

Should have said, ‘Not gone upstairs to oppositions rooms post game.’
DD..any commentary on the Blues for us here. Thoughts on culture? President? Issues? Etc..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it is proof that no matter how knowledgable you are, you are at the mercy of the weather, football gods and fluoro oddballs :)

Yes indeed. I’m just extremely unlucky. But I never blame the oddballs. Never seen a game decided by the umpires. They may make mistakes. But only ever 1 to the players 50.

Should have said, ‘Not gone upstairs to oppositions rooms post game.’
DD..any commentary on the Blues for us here. Thoughts on culture? President? Issues?
The ex-pres, Joe Sturrock is a terrific gent. Big boots to fill and I’m not sure the new one fills them quite as well. He has a good team around him though so I’d be surprised if there were any issues there.

Generally speaking, I think most players from most clubs in Prem A, B and C are somewhat like minded. This is pretty much the case with Blues and Blacks.

What sets the two apart is the culture that exists within the two clubs which is driven a lot by coaches and ex-players. Some of the rusted on ones make me squirm. In 2014, an ex blue that sells himself as one Victoria’s top legal practioner’s cum News Corp columnists, told the father of a Blacks player who was in friendly conversation with friends from the Blues that his son had a pathetic professional career and was now making pathetic life choices in playing for the Blacks.

One ex-player does not maketh the club, but a few can certainly harm its culture.

Not sure the Blues old Captain Jack did their reputation too much good either. Helluva player mind you.

Maybe over thinking games?!

I’m inclined on occasions to tip on a whim re something I’ve heard or to back up a comment I’ve made. There’s no sheep stations on offer so it’s far easier to be a little reckless here.
I’m third in my work AFL tipping comp, just 2 adrift, if this helps raise your opinion of me..

The ex-pres, Joe Sturrock is a terrific gent. Big boots to fill and I’m not sure the new one fills them quite as well. He has a good team around him though so I’d be surprised if there were any issues there.

Generally speaking, I think most players from most clubs in Prem A, B and C are somewhat like minded. This is pretty much the case with Blues and Blacks.

What sets the two apart is the culture that exists within the two clubs which is driven a lot by coaches and ex-players. Some of the rusted on ones make me squirm. In 2014, an ex blue that sells himself as one Victoria’s top legal practioner’s cum News Corp columnists, told the father of a Blacks player who was in friendly conversation with friends from the Blues that his son had a pathetic professional career and was now making pathetic life choices in playing for the Blacks.

One ex-player does not maketh the club, but a few can certainly harm its culture.

Not sure the Blues old Captain Jack did their reputation too much good either. Helluva player mind you.

Nice honest comments there. Yep re Jack.
Like a few others, you need a win. Relegation battle is huge this year and Blues are not totally safe yet.
Cheers Hippster

I’m inclined on occasions to tip on a whim re something I’ve heard or to back up a comment I’ve made. There’s no sheep stations on offer so it’s far easier to be a little reckless here.
I’m third in my work AFL tipping comp, just 2 adrift, if this helps raise your opinion of me..
Nah - VERY high opinion of your insights hippster - just having some fun with some banter. Tipping VAFA footy is a nightmare, as we all know.

B. Abused during game.
D. All of the above.

Go the D. Go the D...
I was stunned by what i heard and saw at two different games. He belittled and verbally abused his players, verbally abused the umpires, and turned his back on an opposition coach at one game when the coach came to shake hands. One AJAX assistant called out to him to let him know, then when ignored, seemed embarrassed to shake hands on his behalf.
This was only two games, and his team is struggling so i understand he would be unhappy and under stress, but i was astounded that this was a man who was very well respected at AFL level, and coached at AFL level. My initial reaction was to question why an amateur player, or any player, would play for him, but maybe he is a ripper bloke at training and this were only limited examples in two losing games.

Nah - VERY high opinion of your insights hippster - just having some fun with some banter. Tipping VAFA footy is a nightmare, as we all know.
I've got to stop listening to Bagman talking about missing players for the doggies.... ;) You are red-hot favourites if you can stay away from the injury curse.
On a different note, thanks for managing the tipping, it makes this forum more fun and i appreciate it.

I've got to stop listening to Bagman talking about missing players for the doggies.... ;) You are red-hot favourites if you can stay away from the injury curse.
On a different note, thanks for managing the tipping, it makes this forum more fun and i appreciate it.
Happy to do it Archangel. Yes, it seems my team has covered missing players quite well. Six first choice senior players did not play against Blacks on Saturday. Four of these travelling. Still more heading offshore as I understand it - one or two I believe - but come finals large majority all back and available. Seems the three week playing blocks between byes have been too attractive for some to pass up 3-4 week overseas trips. I do agree though - Bernards best is better than all others. Though I do hope the memory of 2017 prelim final loss burns hot for the players and coaches. Promotion is nice, but Premierships very rare and very hard to win (unless you are a Xavs man!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back