B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately Beaumaris had to forfeit its 2’s on Saturday.

It’s a tough time of year for all clubs.

Only positive is that Chelsworth Park gets one less game in it.

Max “Winter is nearly over” Leader

What about supercoach and the biggest junior program in the South

Roll the U/19's up, I know they are on the bottom but it will give some of them senior experience for next year. It is August most grades only have 2-3 games remaining if that, poor form to not get a side up.

Beaumaris are going backwards and fast!

Roll the U/19's up, I know they are on the bottom but it will give some of them senior experience for next year. It is August most grades only have 2-3 games remaining if that, poor form to not get a side up.

Beaumaris are going backwards and fast!
Wasn’t that long ago watching a game at Brindisi St and St Bedes had 3 U19s going and the visiting Sharks were 2nd on the B Grade ladder

Something clearly not right at Beaumaris. Massive junior club and there was an unprecedented number of clearances into the senior affiliate in the off season. Started 2024 with 1s, 2s 3s and 2 x U19s and yet they cannot fill a ressies team tomorrow. Lots of clubs doing it tough but very few have the resources that Beaumaris do. Some very small clubs with no juniors who are fielding 2 (or even 3) teams tomorrow.

I mentioned this a few weeks back but when we played them a month ago, I was taken at the lack of support. Usually draw a very big and very vocal crowd to Banksia but it was like a ghost town.

Something clearly not right at Beaumaris. Massive junior club and there was an unprecedented number of clearances into the senior affiliate in the off season. Started 2024 with 1s, 2s 3s and 2 x U19s and yet they cannot fill a ressies team tomorrow. Lots of clubs doing it tough but very few have the resources that Beaumaris do. Some very small clubs with no juniors who are fielding 2 (or even 3) teams tomorrow.

I mentioned this a few weeks back but when we played them a month ago, I was taken at the lack of support. Usually draw a very big and very vocal crowd to Banksia but it was like a ghost town.
Club lost its sole when they overreached on the new facilities.

Club lost its sole when they overreached on the new facilities.
Nothing to do with it, facilities are excellent, the old brick building was from the ‘60s and couldn’t fit the huge junior supporter nights let alone Club functions, current Senior coach barely talks to reserves players and is fixated on any VFL or ex-Dragons player to put in the Seniors, losing 4 pts last season a classic example, situation won’t improve as he’s been given 2025 contract extension, unbelievable

Nothing to do with it, facilities are excellent, the old brick building was from the ‘60s and couldn’t fit the huge junior supporter nights let alone Club functions, current Senior coach barely talks to reserves players and is fixated on any VFL or ex-Dragons player to put in the Seniors, losing 4 pts last season a classic example, situation won’t improve as he’s been given 2025 contract extension, unbelievable
All coaches today seem to want that legacy.Maybe his will be 'coached Beauy into oblivion'!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like Willi will survive as the form of Caulfield and Beaumaris above it is a worry. Beauy v Willi next week will be an intriguing match given Willi's recent form.

Ward must be wondering what has happened to his team. A slim win over St. Bedes then drops the next 2? Given how tight is in the top 6 they would be wanting to snap out of it soon.

Was down at the Fearon on Saturday to watch the Willie match (local but not regular at CYMs matches). Couple of quick observations: Perfect conditions. Willie mids dominated (harder at the ball). Fielders could have stolen the game had the kicked straight in the last qrt. Willie's kick out strategy at the end of the game was terrible....The young Fielders tall just taking mark after mark..so many willie players looking for the short pass. Both sides were out on their feet at the end. Either side would lost by plenty in Premier (only see 2-3 games a year but the difference is vast). Hope the young Fielder who was taken from the field is ok...never good to see. Enjoyable contest and hope Willie stay up.

Was down at the Fearon on Saturday to watch the Willie match (local but not regular at CYMs matches). Couple of quick observations: Perfect conditions. Willie mids dominated (harder at the ball). Fielders could have stolen the game had the kicked straight in the last qrt. Willie's kick out strategy at the end of the game was terrible....The young Fielders tall just taking mark after mark..so many willie players looking for the short pass. Both sides were out on their feet at the end. Either side would lost by plenty in Premier (only see 2-3 games a year but the difference is vast). Hope the young Fielder who was taken from the field is ok...never good to see. Enjoyable contest and hope Willie stay up.
Yes there is an absolute chasm between A and B grade. The aforementioned teams occupy positions 8 and 9 and at least one of them will be playing C grade in 2025. They have also lost B grade games "by plenty" so the Premier comparison sort of stands to reason.

Reckon Willy survive. Tough to beat at home and finding some form.

Jimmyjack did you get down to watch De La on the weekend? Care to provide a match report on what was a great win by De La.
Had to leave just before 3/4 time at which point it was still up for grabs. A solid win on the road against the top side. DLS won on the back of an 8 goal to zero 2nd quarter. Bizarre game as I think 20 of the 24 goals kicked to one end of the ground despite there being no wind to speak of. DLS played some scintillating footy in the 2nd Q but If I was to be truly objective I would have to say that we were on the right side of some 50/50 umpiring calls in front of the sticks which certainly helped. Take out 20 minutes of the 2nd Q and it was pretty even, in fact it was a bit of a slog. Stefanakis is a real handful. Cannot give him a look as he will hurt you every time. Will be nightmare match up on a dry deck in September.

One or both will be in A grade next year but both miles off it at the moment and will need some solid recruiting to compete. OH reserves are very poor. I despair what might happen to them against the XAVs and SKOB 2s next year. Could be embarrassing.

Had to leave just before 3/4 time at which point it was still up for grabs. A solid win on the road against the top side. DLS won on the back of an 8 goal to zero 2nd quarter. Bizarre game as I think 20 of the 24 goals kicked to one end of the ground despite there being no wind to speak of. DLS played some scintillating footy in the 2nd Q but If I was to be truly objective I would have to say that we were on the right side of some 50/50 umpiring calls in front of the sticks which certainly helped. Take out 20 minutes of the 2nd Q and it was pretty even, in fact it was a bit of a slog. Stefanakis is a real handful. Cannot give him a look as he will hurt you every time. Will be nightmare match up on a dry deck in September.

One or both will be in A grade next year but both miles off it at the moment and will need some solid recruiting to compete. OH reserves are very poor. I despair what might happen to them against the XAVs and SKOB 2s next year. Could be embarrassing.
What was the ground conditions like , the pavilion side hardly had any grass last time i was there

Thanks for that, following the scores on-line I immediately defaulted to a gale blowing towards one end.

I'm looking forward to watching our old sparring partner in Old Ivanhoe at Dairy Bell this week. Should be another good test for De La who have passed the first two with flying colours.

This will happen more+more, nobody wants to play reserves except fridge ones players.... Anyone not serious would rather kick and giggle in the 3s, play with their mates and train once a week.

Honest Match Report Round 14 Old Ivanhoe v Beaumaris

Ground Condition. Heavy in spots, but due to no reserves game or school games, it was actually very good.
It will be excellent for the Old Trinity v Old Camberwell game this weekend. Marles is out of action.

Both teams looked quite young with history being made with the two senior school coaches playing with three of their pupils. One making his debut as a year 11 student. OI had 5 under 19’s in total playing. We have played 9 under 19’s this year, 4 of which were school boys.

After umpiring a top of the table clash between Old Xavier’s 6ths v Old Ivanhoe’s 3rds, I rushed back from Malvern with Beaumaris leading 1 goal to nil. How does one club have so many players. 3 of which would be in most clubs seniors.

From then it was a real slog, OI had the better of the play but were wasteful, whilst Beauy, looked threatening with their sizeable forward line.

The game really changed when Beauy’s captain was badly injured in a marking contest. A shoulder and head injury I believe. From my vantage point, it appeared to be an average marking contest, with the much smaller player being a micro second late. The field umpire paid the mark and no 50 metre penalty was awarded.

It came down to the last quarter, where OI got reward for their possession dominance. Eventually winning by 30+ points.

As with most teams in B Grade, Beauy have a fantastic ruckman.

Big week against the premiership favourites, (imo). Except for a small bit of the cricket pitch, the Dairy Bell is in near perfect condition. (I live around the corner).

With 4 weeks to go, the race for the t final four is as almost as interesting as the race for relegation.

For OI, we would need to win at least 3 of the next 4. A tough but hopefully doable proposition.

I would love Beauy to be released as it would reduce travel considerably next year. I also believe if Beauy get it right, they could rebound far quicker the other clubs who are looking at relegation.

Max “Back in Green” Leader

Honest Match Report Round 14 Old Ivanhoe v Beaumaris

Ground Condition. Heavy in spots, but due to no reserves game or school games, it was actually very good.
It will be excellent for the Old Trinity v Old Camberwell game this weekend. Marles is out of action.

Both teams looked quite young with history being made with the two senior school coaches playing with three of their pupils. One making his debut as a year 11 student. OI had 5 under 19’s in total playing. We have played 9 under 19’s this year, 4 of which were school boys.

After umpiring a top of the table clash between Old Xavier’s 6ths v Old Ivanhoe’s 3rds, I rushed back from Malvern with Beaumaris leading 1 goal to nil. How does one club have so many players. 3 of which would be in most clubs seniors.

From then it was a real slog, OI had the better of the play but were wasteful, whilst Beauy, looked threatening with their sizeable forward line.

The game really changed when Beauy’s captain was badly injured in a marking contest. A shoulder and head injury I believe. From my vantage point, it appeared to be an average marking contest, with the much smaller player being a micro second late. The field umpire paid the mark and no 50 metre penalty was awarded.

It came down to the last quarter, where OI got reward for their possession dominance. Eventually winning by 30+ points.

As with most teams in B Grade, Beauy have a fantastic ruckman.

Big week against the premiership favourites, (imo). Except for a small bit of the cricket pitch, the Dairy Bell is in near perfect condition. (I live around the corner).

With 4 weeks to go, the race for the t final four is as almost as interesting as the race for relegation.

For OI, we would need to win at least 3 of the next 4. A tough but hopefully doable proposition.

I would love Beauy to be released as it would reduce travel considerably next year. I also believe if Beauy get it right, they could rebound far quicker the other clubs who are looking at relegation.

Max “Back in Green” Leader

As always a great insight as to how the match unfolded. Mouth watering affair this coming Saturday, weather this week looks brilliant and hopefully dries out what soft areas there are.

Having also umpired OX's 6th's this season your critique of where some of those players should be playing is absolutely correct. They certainly look like big fish in little ponds in Thirds Division 3 North!

No honest match report this week. I was busy umpiring Division 3 North Qualifying final.

I then followed up by hosting Old Trinity v Old Camberwell at Chelsworth Park.

From all reports De La are at another level. We are trying but injuries and VFL making it tough to get players back.

OC were running rings around OT until OC appeared to run out of legs.
It was fun watching a game where both teams turned toward the boundary thinking there was room, by the Pune Lodge is not that wide.

Bottom 4 looks very interesting now.

Remove this Banner Ad

B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back