Old Xaverians
Old MelburniansOld MelburniansOld Xaverians
1st SEMIFINAL
ELSTERNWICK 11:40am SAT 3/9
vsvs
Old ScotchOld ScotchOld Scotch
St Bernards

Last edited:
Marto didn't miss anyone during his interview on RSN. Brian Plato will be miffed.

My take was:

1. The VAFA is fundamentally an APS comp and the points system advantages them. Poacher gone gamekeeper, perhaps. ;)

2. The VAFA characterisation of the points infraction doesn't conform to that of AFL Vic.

3. Other clubs have offended but no action has been pursued.

4. Some of the people on the panel who made the call were conflicted.

5. The VAFA should insist clubs provide the VAFA with all player names with club-assessed points pre-season which the VAFA should endorse or otherwise, so clubs are clear.

Point 5 is the most noteworthy. Reckon the VAFA have got off lightly in this matter.

Good win by the Cardinals.

Marto didn't miss anyone during his interview on RSN. Brian Plato will be miffed.

My take was:

1. The VAFA is fundamentally an APS comp and the points system advantages them. Poacher gone gamekeeper, perhaps. ;)

2. The VAFA characterisation of the points infraction doesn't conform to that of AFL Vic.

5. The VAFA should insist clubs provide the VAFA with all player names with club-assessed points pre-season which the VAFA should endorse or otherwise, so clubs are clear.

Point 5 is the most noteworthy. Reckon the VAFA have got off lightly in this matter.

Boo hoo.

Which clubs have infringed.

Clubs knew the rules. If you don’t, why not.

Simple have Grimley play at OI. He would be a 1 pointer. Not too hard to work out.

My take was:

So the VAFA should presume clubs will try to cheat the system? I disagree.

It’s the responsibility of the clubs to manage their compliance. They’re the ones who put the players out every week and we all know many players sign up/on after Rd 1.

To suggest the VAFA go through some vetting process is to place too much responsibility on the competition.

Boo hoo.

Which clubs have infringed.

Clubs knew the rules. If you don’t, why not.

Simple have Grimley play at OI. He would be a 1 pointer. Not too hard to work out.
Pretty much a lack of substance boo-hoo by you Maxie, by not addressing what Marto said.

Other things were going on so my attention was a tad distracted during the interview. But he mentioned O Ms and we know Xavs have transgressed following which they got a slap with a damp lettuce cos it was considered unintentional.

If you don't think other clubs have wrongly assessed player points then you aren't as smart as I give you credit for.

Perhaps if some parked their antipathy toward the Blues and were more objective their views would be more moderate.

As I've said the Blues' oversight or aware transgression warranted a penalty but the pile-on is over the top. The system is flawed and, as I see it, they have taken advantage of it in the past

The points system isn't black and white and needs overhauling and there's no doubt the VAFA, as I understand some other community leagues do, should have had oversight. The suggestion by Marto of all clubs providing the VAFA with player lists with their points assessment pre-season has merit.

A "Over and out" M
So the VAFA should presume clubs will try to cheat the system? I disagree.

It’s the responsibility of the clubs to manage their compliance. They’re the ones who put the players out every week and we all know many players sign up/on after Rd 1.

To suggest the VAFA go through some vetting process is to place too much responsibility on the competition.
It's not a big ask for club lists to be assessed pre-season. I understand some other community comps do it and it isn't as if the VAFA is short on staff as we speak. Administering the comp is their role and this should be part of it.

Last edited:
Pretty much a lack of substance boo-hoo by you Maxie, by not addressing what Marto said.

Other things were going on so my attention was a tad distracted during the interview. But he mentioned O Ms and we know Xavs have transgressed following which they got a slap with a damp lettuce cos it was considered unintentional.

If you don't think other clubs have wrongly assessed player points then you aren't as smart as I give you credit for.

Perhaps if some parked their antipathy toward the Blues and were more objective their views would be more moderate.

As I've said the Blues' oversight or aware transgression warranted a penalty but the pile-on is over the top. The system is flawed and, as I see it, they t have taken advantage of it in the past

The points system isn't black and white and needs overhauling and there's no doubt the VAFA, as I understand some other community leagues do, should have had oversight. The suggestion by Marto of all clubs providing the VAFA with player lists with their appoints assessment pre-season has merit.

A "Over and out" M

It's not a big ask for club lists to be assessed pre-season. I understand some other community comps do it and it isn't as if the VAFA is short on staff as we speak. Administering the comp is their role and this should be part of it.
I agree. There'll be a bit of work for the first year it's in place as every player will need to be assessed and approved, but after that, you only have to scrutinise the new players each year.

Just saying that the conditions at Caulfield were easily among the four worst I've ever umpired in. The only saving grace was that it wasn't pissing with rain.

One of the big gusts in the third quarter that brought a dust storm from the racecourse also took my hat for an unauthorised excursion across the road, fortunately one of the Caulfield brethren chased it halfway down the next street and brought it back. Legend.

What's the opinions regarding St Bernards stacking their reserve team last weekend! Get their 1s can't make finals, but still have a chance to avoid relegation vs their 2s playing finals. If true, their coaches should take a look at themselves.

What's the opinions regarding St Bernards stacking their reserve team last weekend! Get their 1s can't make finals, but still have a chance to avoid relegation vs their 2s playing finals. If true, their coaches should take a look at themselves.
Won’t be the 1st time a club has done it. I remember Uni Blacks being a joke in the seniors and unbeatable in the 2’s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Dodge, it did not happen, OX has half of their team in Europe, as does my club.

Some teams will be lucky to take advantage of it, Trinity could be singing the song come this Saturday vs SKOB.

What a farce. Check the team sheet and tell me the names of the A grade weapons they dropped to "stack" their team.

Won’t be the 1st time a club has done it. I remember Uni Blacks being a joke in the seniors and unbeatable in the 2’s.

Hi Max I played in those Blacks ressies teams and can assure you there was no stacking going on!
Ps my boy was one of the debutants a couple of weeks ago for OI .. a great experience for him and he has already played 1 more senior game than his old man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Max I played in those Blacks ressies teams and can assure you there was no stacking going on!
Ps my boy was one of the debutants a couple of weeks ago for OI .. a great experience for him and he has already played 1 more senior game than his old man!

Was it Watto or Archie. How’d they find it? Prem C is a pretty strong comp at the top end.

Hope it gave them a taste and they will come back and have another crack.

It’s was just funny how UBl were unbeatable in the twos but the Seniors we being relegated.

Hughes,Di Lizio, O'Halloran, McNicol and Iermano must have all been coming back from injury at the same time
Mr Chris Hughes has spent several games in and out of the seniors this year, not sure Mr De Lizio and Mr Iermano are any good?

Mr De Lizio named in the best once this season before playing ressies against Uni Blues. Not named in the best in that game either.

As for Mr O’Halloran, he hasn’t played a game at all since June 4, so probably coming back from injury.

I’m not sure any of these players would command a regular game in a top 4 Premier team, plus Mr Groves is coaching for his future.

Was it Watto or Archie. How’d they find it? Prem C is a pretty strong comp at the top end.

Hope it gave them a taste and they will come back and have another crack.

It’s was just funny how UBl were unbeatable in the twos but the Seniors we being relegated.

Was Watto .. very raw ruckman … he found it pretty tough but a great experience..

Mr Chris Hughes has spent several games in and out of the seniors this year, not sure Mr De Lizio and Mr Iermano are any good?

Mr De Lizio named in the best once this season before playing ressies against Uni Blues. Not named in the best in that game either.

As for Mr O’Halloran, he hasn’t played a game at all since June 4, so probably coming back from injury.

I’m not sure any of these players would command a regular game in a top 4 Premier team, plus Mr Groves is coaching for his future.
my years out of the game must be showing. All were young stars in 2015 and 2016. But must've declined after their shock u19 GF loss to OXAFL at the hands of the flying dutchman Mr Vanderhaar et al.

My take was:

In WA, you have to submit your list of potential senior players with club-assessed points to the league for approval every year. They have six senior grades (A, B, C1-C4) so that's only one less than the VAFA.

I'd be staggered if the VAFA didn't have someone in their office whose job it was to assess player points prior to the season starting or during the season in the same way clearances are managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back