Preview Preview Round 1 - Melbourne vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

They also have the magic new coach feel on their side.

Barely a new coach when the coach has been assistant there for many years.

How I think the team will line up:

Warnock, Rivers, MacDonald
Garland, Grimes, Bartram
Davey, Bail, Trengove
Sylvia, Green, Petterd
Jurrah, Watts, Maric
Jamar, Moloney, Jones

Jetta, Tapscott, Dunn (Bennell)

Dees by 15 :)

I saw this on the MFC website, and felt like having a tiny bitch about it.

Melbourne: Channel 7, 3.00 pm
Adelaide: Channel 7, 1.30 pm (live)
Perth: Channel 7, 11.00 am (live)
Regional WA: Channel 7, 11.00 am (live)
NSW: Channel 7, 2.00 pm (live)
QLD: Channel 7, 2.00 pm (live)

How is the game live EVERYWHERE in Australia, even QLD and NSW but it's not live in MEL? Even though I'm gonna be there, it's still a disgrace.

Why would they play it live in Melbourne? That would stop people going to the game - they never play them live unless they are sold out!!

Anyway - we will ALL be there and it will be GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

I will be in the Ponny ground level M31... my favourite :D

Their defence will be suspect with those outs, and their forwardline doesn't scare me that much. I know you can't take Sydney for granted but I think they'll drop off a bit this year.

We were missing LRT and Bolton for a large portion of the back end of the 2010 season. Both Grundy and Richards were able to step up to the plate and were quite impressive.

As for our forward line well that isn't any worse than what it was last year either and our forward line wasn't really a problem last year.

We were missing LRT and Bolton for a large portion of the back end of the 2010 season. Both Grundy and Richards were able to step up to the plate and were quite impressive.

As for our forward line well that isn't any worse than what it was last year either and our forward line wasn't really a problem last year.

So Dee's by 12 goals again, same as last year?

So Dee's by 12 goals again, same as last year?
Yeah but nah the useless coach in charge that day has been shown the door.

Not to take anything away from Melbourne that day, but the Swans just looked tired and listless. It started right from the opening bounce when Bennell sprinted past Malceski to kick the opening goal. We won't get a repeat of that kind of lethargic performance, not to say that Melbourne wouldn't have beaten us anyway, but we'll give it a better go this time round.

Swans are in good form, even if we are missing key personnel at both ends of the ground. While I don't expect a repeat thrashing, our poor form at the G does worry immensely (9 losses in the last 10 games). Being a very stats-based kind of fan, to me those numbers are not an anomaly, we must play the ground badly.

If the Swans go in with the 3 forward talls as named - Goodes, White and Reid who do you expect to line up on them? Garland, Warnock and Rivers respectively?

Most likely, I would prefer we lined up somone else on Reid (Stef Martin?) and then had Rivers dropping in to cover the space which is what he does best.

Barely a new coach when the coach has been assistant there for many years.

How I think the team will line up:

Warnock, Rivers, MacDonald
Garland, Grimes, Bartram
Davey, Bail, Trengove
Sylvia, Green, Petterd
Jurrah, Watts, Maric
Jamar, Moloney, Jones

Jetta, Tapscott, Dunn (Bennell)

Dees by 15 :)

With the likes of Mumford, Goodes and possibly Seaby playing for Swans, Don't you think Spencer would get a game to help Jamar out?

I kinow he has fresh airies from time to time but Jamar can't take on three by himself....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No faith here, I swear.

Dees to win. BOOKMARK IT! =)
I still think we'll scrape in but would have liked to see Jetta have a run after a promising pre-season.

more injuries, our players are as weak as piss, they havnt even played a game yet, its the same deal every bloody season.

Many may disagree but i find that Joel MacDonald is a bit of a smokey who will be a huge contributor to the outcome of this game.

While his preseason form wasn't amazing, the things he did last year (especially coming out of defence) was outstanding. I reckon we'll need a big game from him to improve our chances of winning.

Thoughts?

more injuries, our players are as weak as piss, they havnt even played a game yet, its the same deal every bloody season.

haha, so true xD

Many may disagree but i find that Joel MacDonald is a bit of a smokey who will be a huge contributor to the outcome of this game.

While his preseason form wasn't amazing, the things he did last year (especially coming out of defence) was outstanding. I reckon we'll need a big game from him to improve our chances of winning.

Thoughts?

I agree that he is a BIG contributor, as I am also a fan of his myself. Alotta people seem to hate on him for practically nothing at all. it appears to be one of those things where any excuse'll do to put him down. I personally think he does a very good job, and he works very hard imo to get the job down. We all make mistakes, that much is normal. Least he's no matty bate, that bloke's absolutely-positively useless! xD.

The decision of who is playing this weekend may have just become easier.. Jetta injured his shoulder (at training), the same one he had a operation on last year... It is not looking likely that he will play on Sunday...

Not sure where you heard that, not showing up in any of the usual places.

Perhaps more importantly, he has been confirmed as being in the 22 in this afternoon's final selection.

Check your sources?

I wanted to see Frawley chase down Jetta again, but alas :(

get well soon chippa, please!

Not sure where you heard that, not showing up in any of the usual places.

Perhaps more importantly, he has been confirmed as being in the 22 in this afternoon's final selection.

Check your sources?
lol D_R you've done it again. :D

(Unless Nev is set to be a late replacement which I doubt).

Final 22 with sub pending:

Melbourne
B: Clint Bartram, Jared Rivers, Joel Macdonald
HB: Jack Grimes, Colin Garland, Jamie Bennell
C: Nathan Jones, Brent Moloney, Luke Tapscott
HF: Rohan Bail, Colin Sylvia, Liam Jurrah
F: Jack Watts, Brad Green, Addam Maric
FOLL: Mark Jamar, Lynden Dunn, Aaron Davey

I/C: Neville Jetta, Stef Martin, Ricky Petterd, Jack Trengove

Emg: Jake Spencer, James Strauss, Matthew Warnock

New: Luke Tapscott (North Adelaide, SA)

...and Sydney

B: P.Bevan, T.Richards, M.Mattner
HB: R.Shaw, H.Grundy, A.Everitt
C: D.Hannebery, K.Jack, N.Smith
HF: L.Jetta, A.Goodes, B.McGlynn
F: R.O'Keefe, S.Reid, J.White
Foll: S.Mumford, J.Kennedy, J.McVeigh

Interchange: J.Bolton, G.Rohan, M.Seaby, B.Sumner

Emg: C Bird, J Lamb, B Meredith

New:
B.Sumner (Woodville West-Torrens (SA))
A.Everitt (Western Bulldogs)

Jetta is playing, lol

C.Bartram J.Rivers Joel Macdonald
J.Grimes C.Garland J.Bennell
N.Jones B.Moloney L.Tapscott
R.Bail C.Sylvia L.Jurrah
J.Watts B.Green A.Maric
M.Jamar L.Dunn Aa.Davey
Int: Petterd, Martin, Jetta, Trengove

Emerg: Warnock, Spencer, Strauss

Even though we don't have Scully, Morton and Frawley I look at that team and still have a strong belief that we can win.

I'm really liking the Tapscott/Maric inclusions and the versatility in that forward line.

Especially excited to see Ricky Petterd back, would be amazing if he picked up where he left off last season.

Spewing I won't see this game, will be off dominating a cricket granny which will hopefully be concluded before 2:10 Sunday afternoon.

Thoughts?

Completely agree - but he is more a defensive type (along with Bartram) and when you throw in Warnock and Rivers we are lacking a bit of attack from our defensive line. I can see Davey and/or Green playing a fair bit across half back in this game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Preview Round 1 - Melbourne vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back