Preview Preview Round 1 - Melbourne vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

the **** would green play across half back????

he did in pre season, but i hope db realises he kicked 55 goals last year

Damned if you do, damned if you dont..

Most composed & best foot skills in the side - just what we need out of defense.

TPM you do realise we struggle coming out of the backline right?

Green, Davey and Grimes are all we've got until we can develop Trengove, Tapscott, Bail, Blease, Bennell and Gysberts.

If we can sort a strong forward come ruckman out as well then we are ready to go!

I can't see the teams lining up as named, so I figured if Sydney stay as is we'd go as follows:

Melbourne
B: Clint Bartram, Jared Rivers, Stef Martin
F: Ryan O’Keefe, Sam Reid, Jesse White

HB: Jamie Bennell, Colin Garland, Jack Grimes
HF: Lewis Jetta, Adam Goodes, Ben McGlynn

C: Nathan Jones, Brent Moloney, Luke Tapscott
C: Daniel Hannebery, Kieren Jack, Nicholas Smith

HF: Rohan Bail, Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah
HB: Rhyce Shaw, Heath Grundy, Andrejs Everitt

F: Lynden Dunn, Brad Green, Addam Maric
B: Ted Richards, Paul Bevan, Martin Mattner

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Colin Sylvia, Aaron Davey
FOLL: Shane Mumford, Josh Kennedy, Jarrad McVeigh

I/C: Neville Jetta, Joel Macdonald, Ricky Petterd, Jack Trengove
I/C: Jude Bolton, Mark Seaby, Gary Rohan, Byron Sumner

Key match ups:
If Goodes goes to the midfield then i'd have Dunn run with him. And swap Martin with JMac on the bench.

Jamar must play big minutes in the Ruck. I fear that Martin will get worked over by Seaby.

I think the key for us up forward will be Brad Green. If Dunn starts deep Richards will have to go to him leaving Bevan to play on Brad. Last year Green smashed Bevan.

Even though we don't have Scully, Morton and Frawley I look at that team and still have a strong belief that we can win.

I'm really liking the Tapscott/Maric inclusions and the versatility in that forward line.

Especially excited to see Ricky Petterd back, would be amazing if he picked up where he left off last season.

Spewing I won't see this game, will be off dominating a cricket granny which will hopefully be concluded before 2:10 Sunday afternoon.

I do hope your right dez it woulf be a fantastic start to the season and give our guys real confidence..

Damned if you do, damned if you dont..

Most composed & best foot skills in the side - just what we need out of defense.

TPM you do realise we struggle coming out of the backline right?

Green, Davey and Grimes are all we've got until we can develop Trengove, Tapscott, Bail, Blease, Bennell and Gysberts.

If we can sort a strong forward come ruckman out as well then we are ready to go!

he is of most use up forward, this year is still a development year and i would hate to see green play back in front of a young player

You don't need to develop blokes to kick out of the back line.

Yes you do. Shut up Dez.

he is of most use up forward, this year is still a development year and i would hate to see green play back in front of a young player

I agree TPM - just like Davey is most use on a wing pushing forward.

But if we are struggling for inside 50's, breaking through the forward press and Green is out of the game at half time, rotating him across half back to help with some drive would be a move I would consider.

Youre right, hopefully Tapscott nails the role from the start - but you cant leave the kid there all year if he's taking some time to settle in. Its a big ask for what is one of the most important positions on the ground for our game style.

I'm loving the look of Petterd back in the side tbh. Very much so an important piece to our forward line puzzle. Bloke's awesome. No excuses in the forward half/going 4ward, tbh.

My thoughts

Jp Kennedy to get a bunch of clearances, he is strong and in form. Mc veigh , and O keefe to help out with Hannebury and Jack through the guts. Linking up and giving drive to the swans. Those guys all kick well, and will kick it to Goodesy and White as the key targets, how well they kick will be crucial to their score.

Their backline looks ok with Grundy, Matner, Shaw, Richards, and Bevan and Everitt. Matner and Grundy will be able to negate the high balls coming in, hopefully Maric, and Jurrah can get onto the loose crumbs from the green contests a fe times, and kick the snaps/ crumb goals we will need.
Goodes and White will present the bigest prob, Grimes will zone and need to do it well to repel repeated forays.
I can see this game being one of who kicks the straightest.
am worried about the goodes/white matchups. Warnock and Garland will need to be at their spoiling best, but If the swans fwds dominate and take a bunch of contested marks in 50 and kick straight, swans win. If they miss their chances, and we repel well through grimes, we should be ok.
Need the mids to fire and give us some drive through moloney, and Trengove. Davey will have to provide the link from half back, and provide the great kicks to Dunn, and Watts leading up.
Need a few team lifters from maric, green and jurrah. But with the extra class fwd of petterd chipping in, we should have around 18-20 scoring shots. Worried about the influence of o keefe. His class is a worry,and with no bruce to stop him, we need to find a way to tag him effectively, perhaps jones will be that man.
lots to think about and a bunch of coaching goodness from bails will be required. I m backing the dees, in a momentum based battle. drunk as a sailor when writing this so soz for the erratic babble....
Dees by 6. Cmon boys !!!!

My thoughts

Jp Kennedy to get a bunch of clearances, he is strong and in form. Mc veigh , and O keefe to help out with Hannebury and Jack through the guts. Linking up and giving drive to the swans. Those guys all kick well, and will kick it to Goodesy and White as the key targets, how well they kick will be crucial to their score.

Their backline looks ok with Grundy, Matner, Shaw, Richards, and Bevan and Everitt. Matner and Grundy will be able to negate the high balls coming in, hopefully Maric, and Jurrah can get onto the loose crumbs from the green contests a fe times, and kick the snaps/ crumb goals we will need.
Goodes and White will present the bigest prob, Grimes will zone and need to do it well to repel repeated forays.
I can see this game being one of who kicks the straightest.
am worried about the goodes/white matchups. Warnock and Garland will need to be at their spoiling best, but If the swans fwds dominate and take a bunch of contested marks in 50 and kick straight, swans win. If they miss their chances, and we repel well through grimes, we should be ok.
Need the mids to fire and give us some drive through moloney, and Trengove. Davey will have to provide the link from half back, and provide the great kicks to Dunn, and Watts leading up.
Need a few team lifters from maric, green and jurrah. But with the extra class fwd of petterd chipping in, we should have around 18-20 scoring shots. Worried about the influence of o keefe. His class is a worry,and with no bruce to stop him, we need to find a way to tag him effectively, perhaps jones will be that man.
lots to think about and a bunch of coaching goodness from bails will be required. I m backing the dees, in a momentum based battle. drunk as a sailor when writing this so soz for the erratic babble....
Dees by 6. Cmon boys !!!!

For someone who's drunk you did a damn good job. Only thing is Warnock isn't playing. ;)

For someone who's drunk you did a damn good job. Only thing is Warnock isn't playing. ;)

My bad.. I knew that too ! beer makes me forgetful

ps. great cartoon in the ms paint thread. good stuff.

Listened to the game on the radio today, Dad reckons we need some better delivery in50. I agree with that and also thought Bails should've subbed Petterd on earlier. Good move, just a tad late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Preview Round 1 - Melbourne vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back