Opinion Priority Picks - Moving Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what West Coast did:

Pick 2 - :star:Nic Nat (standard priority for bottom 4)
Pick 4 - :star:Gaff (standard priority for bottom 4)
Pick 7 - Sheppard
Pick 11 - Duggan
Pick 11 - Sheed (Wins Grand finals)
Pick 13 - Brander
Pick 13 - :star:Hurn (Solid Pick)
Pick 18 PP - :star:Shuey (Solid pick)
Pick 21 - Oscar Allen (Solid pick)
Why does Allen always get a first name? Are there other Allen’s the rest of us don’t know about yet?

The thing is, you already get a priority pick for having an awful season. Pick 1. Unless a team has a long period of being completely uncompetitive then additional early picks shouldn't even be considered. And it usually doesn't even give any real immediate benefit. Better off using other mechanisms like access to mature age players (like with Carlton) or salary cap concessions.

I've always been against priority picks and have consistently argued that we never deserved concessions for rubbish list management.

We were rubbish for years and the best we got was access to mature aged players. North shouldn't get pick 2 for one atrocious year
Yeah I was really embarrassed when we got a priority pick back in 2004, and my posts here on Bigfooty at the time reflected that. It wasn’t just that we wasted it in Richard Tambling - he was an extremely promising kid from all the reports and clips going around at the time - I just felt it was shameful that my club was getting a leg up on the other clubs just because of our own incompetence, on and off the field. The only slight easing of that humiliation was that at least two other clubs were also getting PP’s, thus slightly diluting our unfair advantage.

It's not necessarily North's youth that's the problem, it's the complete lack of talent in there 24-30 year old brigade. They have zero elite players, Stephenson who is new to their club is their best player and the only reason they have him is because of Collingwood's blown salary cap. There is very obviously a development issue and you add that on to them being a not very attractive place to play, they've offered stars of the game like Martin and Kelly stacks of cash but no one want to play there.

A priority pick isn't going to help, they need some good senior players, players with actual leadership capabilities.

If their.current form continues for rest of the season, Gold Coast are definitley going.to get another one as part of their 'rescue package (something similar to their last one, just outside the top ten etc)

And they are likely to another top pick Flanders to a Vic club at the end of the season.
It is not right or fair, but the AFL is far more likelu to help our The Suns again than North.

If their.current form continues for rest of the season, Gold Coast are definitley going.to get another one as part of their 'rescue package (something similar to their last one, just outside the top ten etc)

And they are likely to another top pick Flanders to a Vic club at the end of the season.
It is not right or fair, but the AFL is far more likelu to help our The Suns again than North.
We don't deserve or should receive anything else. Up to the coaches and list management team to get it right, no more help

Because 11 years of priority picks and concessions have worked so far. It’s a great talent stunting location the GC footy club.

Poor list management mate. Blame Brad Scott and fix it as a football club without hand outs

Don’t get me wrong Brad Scott and Cameron Joyce are massively responsible for the state of the list

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably a good thing for North, if they give the gold coast extra concessions and they win a few more games than us while we sit stone cold last on the bottom after three wins last year it might force their hand a bit. Not saying we do or don't deserve a priority pick, will have to see how the season plays out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Priority Picks - Moving Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back