Opinion Priority Picks - Moving Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with priority picks is they rarely solve the immediate problem (poor current on-field performance). They offer extra hope and excitement for the future, but also contribute to a swings and roundabouts approach to list building.

A better solution imo would be a temporary salary cap benefit - assuming the cap is, say, $10m(ish) then a team that finishes bottom gets a $1m cap compensation the following year, $500k in 2 years time, and $250k in e years time (and yes it stacks - finish bottom three years running and you get the full $1750k). Second late gets half, third last gets a quarter etc.

This gives you a war chest. Use it to attract players. Use it to reward players who stick it through. Use it to front load players and give you more flexibility as you rebuild. Whatever - it just gives the bottom team a more immediate boost than an 18yo pick 20.

The midseason draft already achieves this. You can't have a midseason draft then give these concessions 5 months later.

A club gets potentially the 15th best 19+ year old in the country? Wow, awesome.

And it is a compromise. Imagine giving North Melbourne a priority pick, even at the end of first round when they self harmed themselves by trading out the top end talent they did (see Higgins [FA I know but unmatched], Ben Brown) etc.

If this were the case, the next basket case team will just trade out there good players, be shit for a year, whinge and complain to AFL house and then get an extra selection to a top/middle talent come draft time.

That’s not how it should work, unless you’re Carlton and shit for years and years on end and make a case for a priority pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it is a compromise. Imagine giving North Melbourne a priority pick, even at the end of first round when they self harmed themselves by trading out the top end talent they did (see Higgins [FA I know but unmatched], Ben Brown) etc.

If this were the case, the next basket case team will just trade out there good players, be sh*t for a year, whinge and complain to AFL house and then get an extra selection to a top/middle talent come draft time.

That’s not how it should work, unless you’re Carlton and sh*t for years and years on end and make a case for a priority pick.

lol browns knee is cooked and Higgins would make no difference the bloke is 33 and on his last legs

If this were the case, the next basket case team will just trade out there good players, be sh*t for a year, whinge and complain to AFL house and then get an extra selection to a top/middle talent come draft time.

That’s not how it should work, unless you’re Carlton and sh*t for years and years on end and make a case for a priority pick.

You should also be eligible if you haven't won a final for 17 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North aren't going to go winless. They'll play other bottom 6 teams later on in the season and they'll have games where things go right for them (eg kicking straight, free kick, injuries, opponent down on the day etc).

They also should not get a priority pick. First year spoon and priority pick? What a joke. They should earn their way back like all the other bad teams. They'll get pick one - that's plenty.

The best thing the AFL ever did was stop handing out priority picks. Its just a shame they backtracked and gave Gold Coast multiple ones and other concessions. But at least its somewhat understandable that they were a special case given how their list was ransacked by other clubs and they are a new expansion side.

I don't know what the solution is, but North need some need some kind of assistance. Currently they look like (just from an on field performance) a dying Fitzroy.
Their on field performance, lack of attendances and perilous financial situation certainly makes them vulnerable.

They will be kept afloat by the AFL if that is what head office desire.

North’s management would be hoping there isn’t a significant groundswell of support for a another standalone team in the next couple of years or their timing of their rebuild may be quite unfortunate for the viability of the club.

I think they should get one, but I think at least this year they will only be allowed access to a couple of decent state league players (Which Carlton got a couple of years ago with Gibbons and Cottrell, which has actually worked out surpisingly well for us, esp with Gibbons)

I do tend to agree with the sentiment that because they have never had one before, that North do deserve a Priortiy Pick, unfortunately i do not believe Gil and the rest of the AFL board will see it that way.

Having enemies in the media like Carowhine and Purple only makes the case harder for North as well.

We traded the rights to McAdam and Kreuger with our state league picks. Cottrell and Gibbons were available to everyone up until Feb 2019.

If we go winless which is likely then yes. For the most part we deserve it, we are one of the few clubs that’s never manipulated the system with our 9th-12th place finishes for a decade with a couple of finals appearances.

Lol of all teams to pipe up the priority pick blues

We’ve never had one but we will collect this year
I've always been against priority picks and have consistently argued that we never deserved concessions for rubbish list management.

We were rubbish for years and the best we got was access to mature aged players. North shouldn't get pick 2 for one atrocious year

I've always been against priority picks and have consistently argued that we never deserved concessions for rubbish list management.

We were rubbish for years and the best we got was access to mature aged players. North shouldn't get pick 2 for one atrocious year
You do realise we won 3 games last year

There is no evidence that top end draft picks leads to success. The Kangaroos only have themselves to blame for their poor situation.

North are already starting with more top end picks than West Coast, so why should the AFL feel inclined to give them an epic handout.
Most success in KPPs come from 20s and 30s.

If the AFL want to make a fair and balanced system, then allow for more picks in the 20s and 30s. Possibly two extra picks.

This is what West Coast did:

Pick 2 - :star:Nic Nat (standard priority for bottom 4)
Pick 4 - :star:Gaff (standard priority for bottom 4)
Pick 7 - Sheppard
Pick 11 - Duggan
Pick 11 - Sheed (Wins Grand finals)
Pick 13 - Brander
Pick 13 - :star:Hurn (Solid Pick)
Pick 18 PP - :star:Shuey (Solid pick)
Pick 21 - Oscar Allen (Solid pick)
Pick 24 - Cripps
Pick 26 PP - Darling
Pick 26 - Liam Ryan
Pick 29 - Lycett ->
Pick 36 - Cole
Pick 37 - Rotham
Pick 38 - PETRUCCELLE (Solid pick)
Pick 43 - Barrass
Pick 51 - Nelson
Pick 57 - Winder
Pick 74 - :star:McGovern (Steal)

mostly solid trading
Pre-season - Jones
Traded in Lewis Jetta
Traded Kennedy for Judd
Traded in Redden(26), Yeo(30), and Kelly(24)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Priority Picks - Moving Forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back