Promising defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarrad rivers for me. But for an essendon player kepler bradley may develope into a good backmen. He hadnt had too many games yet but he play very similiar to dustin fletcher. Jarrad rivers though he will be a star defender. GO mcphee he's another champ

Maguire and Rivers are diffrent type of CHB..

Maguire will take less mark's than Rivers but more contested mark's and he is alot stonger body on body.. Rivers has better skills overall but Maguire can thump the ball 65m Rivers seems to move in a more silky fashon where as Maguire just uses good pace and strength to push oponents aside..

I would have them fairly close ATM..

Sorry, have to disagree with some of the Carlton supporters on here. Whilst I love Thornton, I think Rivers shades him. He's only 17 - but with what he's shown... I think he beats Thornton. But IMHO, Rivers is more suited to CHB. I reckon he's more lively than Thornton, and when you look at his height and what a good job he can do back there... you'd have to list him first.

As promising young defenders go, I'd say:

Rivers
Thornton
Glass
McPharlin (underrated)
Harris
Polak
Maguire

Better skills, more versatile, taller, larger scope for improvement, better spoiler, provides way more rebound and most of all is a much better mark.

Well for one thing, you can't prove that a player has a larger scope for improvement based on only a year or two. That is way to little time... and as for better spoiler, could you please provide something to support that? And as far as being more versatile, again, what case do you have to say that? Both players can play at CHB and FB - but not forward (well, not that we have seen anyway).

But I agree on the rest.

Thrawn said:
Sorry, have to disagree with some of the Carlton supporters on here. Whilst I love Thornton, I think Rivers shades him. He's only 17 - but with what he's shown... I think he beats Thornton. But IMHO, Rivers is more suited to CHB. I reckon he's more lively than Thornton, and when you look at his height and what a good job he can do back there... you'd have to list him first.

As promising young defenders go, I'd say:

Rivers
Thornton
Glass
McPharlin (underrated)
Harris
Polak
Maguire

Well for one thing, you can't prove that a player has a larger scope for improvement based on only a year or two. That is way to little time... and as for better spoiler, could you please provide something to support that? And as far as being more versatile, again, what case do you have to say that? Both players can play at CHB and FB - but not forward (well, not that we have seen anyway).

But I agree on the rest.

Surely McPharlin is above and beyond that entire group, granted he may be a little older.
His performances when not injured suggested he would have gone all australian, the same cant be said for any of the rest.

Sylvia Saint said:
Remember this?

011518as.mar

If that is soft I want our entire team to be soft!

Not soft, but it's not hard either. We wanna see pack marks... or marks like Riewoldt and Brown's.

Funkalicous said:
Rivers takes soft (Jason Cloke) marks. Thornton takes contested marks over gorilla forwards.

Possibly the most stupid and uninformed crap I have ever seen written on these forums

If you dont know anything about a player, then DONT COMMENT

ps. See Rivers mark against the Bombers? Soft indeed :rolleyes:

pss. I am yet to see Thornton take a contested martk over a gorrilla forward. You are miore biased then me, and thats scary

SaInts SKill said:
Maguire and Rivers are diffrent type of CHB..

Maguire will take less mark's than Rivers but more contested mark's and he is alot stonger body on body.. Rivers has better skills overall but Maguire can thump the ball 65m Rivers seems to move in a more silky fashon where as Maguire just uses good pace and strength to push oponents aside..

I would have them fairly close ATM..

This is one of the first sensible posts on the thread. I dont think most of us give Maguire enough credit. Excuse the bias, but he was very rarely beaten this year and wasnt fit for the last half of the year, was carrying OP the whole time. I dare say had he been 100%, fit and firing heading in to September, he would've been invaluable. He may have even picked up Tredrea in the Prelim. He is a typical body-on-body CHB in the mould of Jakovich. Although he may never be as good, I am confident that he will be the Saints CHB for many years to come, and for that time, we are in safe hands i think..

On Thornton however, he wouldnt even rate a mention compared to these 2. Granted he doenst have much help in the Carlton backline, but he just doesnt have the same ability as the other 2 aforementioned players. Although I would like to see him move further up the ground and use his foot skills to better advantage up the ground as opposed to sweeping off the last line.

Funkalicous said:
Rivers takes soft (Jason Cloke) marks. Thornton takes contested marks over gorilla forwards.

So Teagues marks are soft?...coz Cloke runs into the pack and marks it, same as Rivers, so Teague must be the same.... :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SmilingMan said:
Looking over the thread it seems that Rivers, Maguire and Thornton are being debated as three of the most promising emerging defenders.

Here the raw stats from last season...... make of them what you will.

Rivers 22 games for a total of 25
134 kicks
130 hballs
111 marks
57 tackles
22 frees for
9 frees against

Maguire 17 games for a total of46
136 kicks
124 hballs
71 marks
30 tackles
12 frees for
15 frees against

Thornton 22 games for a total of 53
150 kicks
73 hballs
78 marks
22 tackles
11 frees for
14 frees against

There are a few things that stand out in these figures:
Rivers has atleast a season less experience than the other two.
Rivers' marking figures shows he is a good mark and reader of the play.
Rivers tackle count shows he has a good second effort.
The frees for and against are telling.

I think it would be out of Maguire and Rivers as I think Thornton's figures are a bit distorted given that the Carlton defence was under a lot more pressure than the other two throughout the season.

I think Rivers has a lot more promise then Maguire.

Stats tell a wonderful story don't they. They tell YOU what YOU want to believe. What it show's to me is that you get far more possession further up the ground, where you are able to chance your arm and run off your direct opponent. Thornton is disadvantaged in this discussion because he plays full back in an ordinary side. Some of you guys are being a bit tough on a good talent that is playing way out of his weight catergory on blokes like Gehrig, Lloyd, Richardson and Hall.

I'm not saying he is the most promising, but talented and promising none the less.

Rivers for mine.

As for the photo's, I see 1 possible mark out of 3 displayed. Body contact yes but not contested marks.

nonchalance said:
But he will never be a true key position backman.

Rivers plays a style a game that is closer to that of McPhee's than that of Thornton's.

Thornton followed by Harris are the best two pure defenders in the game.

Any young bloke who has a history of beating the games best forward has to be given the credit he deserves.

Mead said:
The bias and just plain downright stupidity of a heck of a lot of people on here never ceases to amaze me.

Rivers has been the most impressive debuting kpp since Reiwoldt- to play well at CHB whilst you are still a stringbean is a sign of an absolute gun. Two or three years down the track, I'd be astonished if Rivers isn't acknowledged as 'the' CHB in the comp the way Reiwoldt and Tredrea are acknowledged as 'the' CHF now.
Yeah, but he'll never be as good as Quinten Lynch though.

Mr Q said:
Yeah, but he'll never be as good as Quinten Lynch though.

I'm shocked and disappointed in you- venturing ridiculous opinions like that makes you part of the problem.

Because self evidently, Q isn't a patch on Adam Hunter!

big footy is really starting to give me the ********s. it is pointless. everyone is far too bias and just says a player from their own club

Remove this Banner Ad

Promising defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back