Prospective coaches unhappy with "Richo" ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

People also have to remember that he will keep a youngster out of the team next year (if he even manages to get out and stay on the park) and thus halt their development. What happens if we pick up John Butcher in the draft? Can only have so many 192cm+ blokes up forward/in the team and it will most likely mean Post might be shafted out of a game or some other youngster. If Gourdis starts performing in the 2's he won't be able to get a game, etc. What happens if we pick up Trengove but he is shafted down the pecking order in the middle because Richo is now playing there full time and it continues on like a domino effect and Collins is now forced to play in the 2's, etc. There's implications with Richo taking a spot from a kid no matter where he plays or who we pick up in the draft. With his age, injuries now taking over and the fact we're in a rebuilding period, it's only logical to move on from Richo just like we're with the other oldies. Really have to wonder what his motivations are to go are considering finals in 2010 are a massive long shot with a predicted massive list turnover and more game time to every kid possible.

Regardless of all this, I just hope the club makes a decision with Richo based on the future in mind and what's best for the club. Membership lures or an angry fan base shouldn't retract from them doing what's right.

And RT, sorry I don't buy it - you are the type of supporter that would've wanted to trade Richo until he was too old to trade and then you moved to retiring him.
Couldn't be further from the truth. Never wanted to see Richo traded, always held out hope that he would achieve some sort of team success with the club, unfortunately that hasn't happened and given where we stand right now its not going to happen. Not really fussed if you believe that or not.

You've added a lot of good insight and info over the years Y&BB, just ignore Astro Boy (he's prone to these kind of unnecessary outbursts towards people who don't deserve it...I'd have thought he'd be on cloud nine after his "other team" Carlton won on the weekend!).

Please keep posting any insight you feel is worth passing on mate, always enjoyed your input and I know a lot of others do too.

As to the topic at hand, I'm with Bo on this...it's hardly asking too much to give the coach exactly what he wants and needs - except the one off-limits decision regarding Richo playing on for just one more year.

Matter of fact, I'd seriously have to question the intelligence and club knowledge of any candidate who would start their coaching career at Richmond by refusing to let Richo play on.

rayz me ol mate, it's taken a while but I couldn't have said it better myself:thumbsu::D:thumbsu:

Why would you even bother posting in such a thread ? ... seriously ?

All the candidates would give thier left testy for the gig ... do you reckon anyone is going to walk in and put that ultimatum on the table ?

LMAO

quite right my friend that was my first instinct that most of these candidates wouldn't be that ****en stupid...would be like an asst coach going for ajob at Lexus saying listen I cant work with Buckley, any chance of getting rid of him..:rolleyes:

just a bit of banter:p

I dunno if this is true or not but it wouldn't surprise me. He should be shown the door along with Bowden so we can move on. FFS he is going to be 35 next year and we're in a rebuilding period, we are no hope for finals in 2010 anyways.

Again? It's a friggin long rebuilding period! Have to be the longest in VFL/AFL history wouldn't it?

I wonder if we'll be in a "rebuilding" period in 2015? There is little light at the tunnels end.

Again? It's a friggin long rebuilding period! Have to be the longest in VFL/AFL history wouldn't it?

I wonder if we'll be in a "rebuilding" period in 2015? There is little light at the tunnels end.

When have been in a rebuilding period in the last 5 years? Unless a 'rebuilding period' consists of significant topping up.

ATTENTION ALL SO CALLED RICHMOND SUPPORTERS

1/ richo takes up 1 spot out of 42 & he is on the vetrans list
2/ richo is still in the top 10 players on our list
3/ richo has more love for the club than anybody currently at punt road
4/richo is a freak & was playing like 1 untill our medics & wallace put him to the sword by playing him when he was clearly injured.
5/ richo is an inspiration to every player that dons the yellow & black

for the last 30 years of hardship that we have all lived through, the only highlight was RICHO.
so i dont give a flying F what any try hard coach or administrator or so called supporters think or say.

RICHO has earned the right to play 1 more year even if he is blind & with 1 leg.

this man/champion has given me and my kids more pleasure going to the football than any other person that has had anything to do with the RFC.

RICHO HAS EARNED AND DESERVES TO PLAY 300 GAMES.

4/richo is a freak & was playing like 1 untill our medics & wallace put him to the sword by playing him when he was clearly injured.

for the last 30 years of hardship that we have all lived through, the only highlight was RICHO.
so i dont give a flying F what any try hard coach or administrator or so called supporters think or say.

RICHO has earned the right to play 1 more year even if he is blind & with 1 leg.

this man/champion has given me and my kids more pleasure going to the football than any other person that has had anything to do with the RFC.

Thread closed

yep

he was the only reason to show up at games a lot of the time...you knew the tigers would most likely gets smashed but at least richo might do something special

So the individual is bigger than the club. Is that what you're saying?

*Wiping tears of emotion from my eyes*
Beautiful post, Absolutely fantastic, agree 100%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well said champ...you said it all:thumbsu:after just hearing the interview on Fox with the great man , i suspect there's a genuine affinity with Benny Gale...the right thing will be done

I would actually admire a rookie coach who had the balls to make his first decision one that cuts one of the the legends of the club. Would send a clear message to group, the club and the supporters that he intends on doing things the way they want to and wont be dictated to by anyone.

It was part of the reason Clarkson got the respect of the players, staff and supporters at Hawthorn, he went in and made tough decisions that let the players know who was in charge and those that didn't want to come along for the ride were free to leave which a few opted to do. Granted none of the Hawks were in the same league as Richo, but it does set the ground rules right from the start, that no-one is above what is best for the club and as much as it pains some supporters its time they acknowledged what Richo himself has said and that is that he is no bigger than the club.

100% of posters on this board want a tough coach that makes the hard decisions yet 90% of those dont want that coach to make a hard decision and sack Richo.

And how about those posters that carry on about Clarkson and how Wallace didnt cut enough players soon enough, then get even more livid about cutting Richo when he is on one leg.

Great post from a normally average poster :p

100% of posters on this board want a tough coach that makes the hard decisions yet 90% of those dont want that coach to make a hard decision and sack Richo.

And how about those posters that carry on about Clarkson and how Wallace didnt cut enough players soon enough, then get even more livid about cutting Richo when he is on one leg.

Great post from a normally average poster :p
In our current shytness the cho is above the law

LMAO @ Wallace cutting a bloke 5 years ago who should have won a brownlow last year :p

About the only thing Wallace got right

Keep Richo, seriously, he's in our top 5 for best players in the past 30 or 40 years probably.

This is the sort of rubbish that gets spouted by people who have no conception of what a top side is. Or the players you need in a top side. No conception of History. Our team from 72-74 was rated one of the Best of All Time.

Last 30-40 years eh? I'll Bite....

Hart
Bourke
Bartlett
Weightman
Lee
Roach - well, maybe injury cut him short.
Rioli
Raines
Campbell
Stewart - well, maybe his Tiger career was too short.

That;s off the top of my head.

well said champ...you said it all:thumbsu:after just hearing the interview on Fox with the great man , i suspect there's a genuine affinity with Benny Gale...the right thing will be done

Blokes like you are what stopped us winning a premiership with Lockett at FF because we were couldnt bare to trade Richo for him.

Blokes like you are what stopped us winning a premiership with Lockett at FF because we were couldnt bare to trade Richo for him.

if you believe thats what stopped the Locket deal getting over the line youd believe anything...read stan alves book sacked coach, he admits the AFL donated the ailing sainters $$$$$$ to accept the swans offer....we were screwed albeit our offer of Maxfield/daffy et al was accepted....don't ever mentioned the propsal again it's blasphemous in here:thumbsdown::mad::thumbsdown:

At the end of the day only 1 person should have say on Richo and thats the coach, if a new coach is forced to pick Richo and we are struggling by round 5 next year, Richo next year will be the Bowden of this year.
Richo should seek guidance on the new coach about next year, these other blokes are irrelavant as they are not on match day selection.
I would hate to see Richo play twos like Joel has done this year.
If he does not play next year it will force the club to finally pick a Tall forward.

Richo is 1 player on a list of 42. A quality player who would help the club on and off the field. He plays on the wing. If he only plays 1 year and then retires, what harm is it doing a club who will delist 10 players long before him. If someone didn't take the job for something as minor as this then they obviously don't want the job that badly and should not be given the job either :cool:
I agree with you MT.:eek:

We have probably 15-20 players on the list who will be coming out of contract. Are we meant to put all that off until a new coach is put in place at the end of the season? What the hell did we employ a list manager for?

People also have to remember that he will keep a youngster out of the team next year (if he even manages to get out and stay on the park) and thus halt their development.
That's based on an assumption that kids will develop better in a team full of kids than in a team with a mixture of youth and experience. Personally I think that is a flawed assumption. If there are a few in similar types you rotate them through the team for a few games, much like Collingwood do.

if you believe thats what stopped the Locket deal getting over the line youd believe anything...read stan alves book sacked coach, he admits the AFL donated the ailing sainters $$$$$$ to accept the swans offer....we were screwed albeit our offer of Maxfield/daffy et al was accepted....don't ever mentioned the propsal again it's blasphemous in here:thumbsdown::mad::thumbsdown:

Go get John Northey's version of it. Same blokes that knifed him were the same blokes that blocked the Lockett deal

So there is no possible way that some anonymous poster who has nothing to gain from posting what they may have heard is actually telling the truth?

Instead of rubbishing him, perhaps you should be thankful that they have taken the time to share some possible inside info regarding the process.

why would i be thankful that someone either made this shit up to begin with - or was so gullible that they believe anything?

The problem is, these days due to that pathetic radio station SEN, the average IQ of the average football fan being well below that of the average 12 year old - and everyones obsession with drama & Richmond - before you know it this shit will be everywhere

Due to the idiots of this world, people BELIEVE everything they read - be it here, the paper or on the back of a dunny door in some redneck pub.

People are talking in this thread as if its FACT. there is NO FACT based on this. The OP pretty much says that.

Before you know it, you will here an article on afooty show talking about how apparently a key coaching candidate is going to withdrawl cos of richo ( heard it tonight on talking footy by the way:rolleyes: )

People love sensationalism - and our supporters are the worse at it - WE create our crisis's with shit like this, the "sheedy" saga, etc etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Prospective coaches unhappy with "Richo" ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back