So our rookie list is:

Colm Begley
Anthony Corrie
Scott Clouston
Daniel Dzufer
Hayden Kiel
Joel Tippett
William Hamill

Well overall im a bit perplexed by our drafting in the rookie draft, 1 why didnt we pick up one of Smith or probably even more so Grose (a FB) and 2 why have we given a bloke another year when he has had 2 (where by the chance of cracking a senior spot has never been easier). Extremely happy with Kiel and Dzufer (think he will be pushing very early) but dont know enough bout Tippett or Clouston to judge.

When is final list lodgment? I would like it official that the Exodus is over.

That's it. All done and dusted.

Sorry BrownDog, but I'm afraid we don't have any work for you now - we're going to have to let you go. But I'm sure you know all this as it was in your Workplace Agreement that you signed. We may be able to hire you back as a casual in the near future though... :D

That's it. All done and dusted.

Sorry BrownDog, but I'm afraid we don't have any work for you now - we're going to have to let you go. But I'm sure you know all this as it was in your Workplace Agreement that you signed. We may be able to hire you back as a casual in the near future though... :D

I reckon he was too slow. Some days he went backwards. :D :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had Dzufer ranked very highly FWIW but was worried for him he would not be picked up as his draft agility run and sprints were shyte but his 3k run was outstanding. I think most clubs were overly concerned about the sprints and agility runs else he would have been a main draft pick for sure.
Anyway one to watch - I'd love to see him get promoted but he obviously will have a bit of competition!

Will Hammill?

Very surprised with that.

Was always on the cards, but yeah, surprised he was a priority selection. He fits the bill as a running player, but I still have doubts about his ability to step up.

Clouston is one of these guys like the Tippetts who've come across from other sports through Mark Browning's program. He's a former soccer goalkeeper IIRC. Not sure how long he's been playing AF.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tim Brown play a year in the AFLQ, That way, we can have a bit more of a look at him and make more of an informed decision - see how he develops. That way, if interested we'd be able to draft him as a priority Qld selection in next years' rookie draft. Same goes for a kid like Brody Johnson, who I know we were keen on part-way through last year, but at 178cm has to be something special to stand out. Let them play another year at senior level up here then run the ruler over them.

I dare say we got everyone we were targetting.

Was always on the cards, but yeah, surprised he was a priority selection. He fits the bill as a running player, but I still have doubts about his ability to step up.

Clouston is one of these guys like the Tippetts who've come across from other sports through Mark Browning's program. He's a former soccer goalkeeper IIRC. Not sure how long he's been playing AF.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Tim Brown play a year in the AFLQ, That way, we can have a bit more of a look at him and make more of an informed decision - see how he develops. That way, if interested we'd be able to draft him as a priority Qld selection in next years' rookie draft. Same goes for a kid like Brody Johnson, who I know we were keen on part-way through last year, but at 178cm has to be something special to stand out. Let them play another year at senior level up here then run the ruler over them.

I dare say we got everyone we were targetting.

Mark Browning is the Pied Piper of Queensland Sport. One minute you've got yourself a nice state rep soccer, basketball or volleyball side -- next minute you hear the eerie sounds of a flute and suddenly you're left with a team of dwarfs!

They'll be banding together to tranquilize him so they can attach a GPS tracker to his neck.

All up, 19 Qlders were drafted this year.

What a fantastic effort! :thumbsu:
Racking my brains to try and think of one that was predicted as a draftee but missed out. Rhys Magin is the only one that comes to mind and he is bottom aged.

According to the Lions website we have 9 rookies. Lenny and Forsyth are still there.

Most of the updates are just names though, with a blank image and no info. The only exception is Dzufer, who played for Suncoast.

Oh, and Corrie is on both Senior and Rookie lists.....

If I were an Adelaide Crows fan I would be dissapointed in Clarke.:thumbsdown:

Clarke had no contract for year. He may not have been a frontline ruckman for next year given we need to develop Meesen and Maric.

He retired when he knew he wasn't a key part of our plans.

I wish Clarke all the best for the future.

Whereas you have Michael who retired to get out of a contract, and then 2 months later. Well, you know the story.

Just a question about Joel Tippett. Is he related to Kurt?

SCOTT CLOUSTON (Brisbane Lions)
Born: 2 February 1987
Height: 191cm
Weight: 74kg
Club: Morningside

At a Glance: A tall athletic utility player who is a product of AFLQ’s ‘Rookie Search Program’ and has only played two years of Australian football. Had played soccer at Brisbane Grammar School but took up football in 2005 at the University of Queensland. Switched to Morningside (AFLQ) to further his football this year and was a member of the Queensland U18 side that won the division two national championship.

DANIEL DZUFER (Brisbane Lions)
Born: 21 January 1988
Height: 186cm
Weight: 81kg
Club: Zillmere Eagles / Caloundra / Suncoast Lions

At a Glance: Genuine utility player born and bred on the Sunshine Coast who has been a standout junior and was widely considered unlucky to miss selection in the 2006 national draft. Winner of the division two B&F medal at the Australian U16 championships in 2004, he toured Ireland with the AFL/AIS U17 Academy squad. Played with the Suncoast Lions in the AFLQ State League in 2004-05 before switching to the Zillmere Eagles this year. Won All-Australian selection at the U18 championships, was arguably Zillmere’s best player through the 2006 AFLQ finals, and was a standout in the annual Allies U18 Challenge match in Melbourne in AFL grand final week.

HAYDN KIEL (Brisbane Lions)
Born: Born 1 January 1988
Height: 178cm
Weight: 79kg
Club: Southport

At a Glance: Small utility player originally from Bendigo who moved to Queensland as a 10-year-old in 2000 and settled on the Gold Coast. A nephew of ex-St.Kilda utility player Peter Kiel, he has represented Queensland at U15 (2003), U16 (2004) and U18 (2005-06) level. Capable of playing as a small defender, a small forward or in a run-with role through the midfield, he was a member of Southport’s 2005-06 AFLQ premiership sides. Is another player considered unlucky not to have been taken in the national draft.

JOEL TIPPETT (Brisbane Lions)
Born: 26 October 1988
Height: 198cm
Weight: 86kg
Club: Southport

At a Glance: Super-athletic tall utility player who has only played one year and less than 20 games of football. Younger brother of Kurt Tippett, a second-round pick to the Adelaide Crows in last month’s AFL national draft, he, like Kurt, was a former State junior basketballer who followed his older brother in switching to football. Played 10 senior games with AFLQ premiers Southport this year, including one final, and represented Queensland at U21 level. Was eligible to play for Queensland at U18 level next year under the ‘Rookie Search’ program but was taken by the Lions on the strength of his enormous and largely untapped potential.

Remove this Banner Ad

PSD and RD selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back