QAFL 2023 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Robbo has got to pretend he’s coming back so he can keep his shiny new car from Downtown 😂
Bit rough that an Aspley supporter having a go at anyone in regards salary cap GK.

Pretty sure that was a separate sponsorship as they had a League, Netball Ambassador but no AFL so Robbo got the gig because of his social media exposure as well.

These rumours about the AFL trying to set up a national reserves competition has me thinking 2024 could be the last QAFL season that doesn't involve Southport. If that does happen, it'll be really interesting to see if Southport falls back into the model they had prior to entering the NEAFL where they just essentially poach all the best young talent from around the Gold Coast and dominate the QAFL as a result or if the last decade has built strong cultures within the other Gold Coast QAFL teams and prevents it from happening again. I would also assume one of the existing Gold Coast teams will likely get relegated to make way for Southport which means the pressure is on to perform in 2024.
Southport will never play in the qafl again.

Southport will never play in the qafl again.
I don’t see how any of the current VFL a stand-alone clubs stay in the AFL reserve’s competition if and when it starts up.

It’s quite possible the AFL simply say to those clubs, sorry we don’t want you in our reserves competition.

If that happens, do the stand-alone clubs form a new VFL?

I don’t see how any of the current VFL a stand-alone clubs stay in the AFL reserve’s competition if and when it starts up.

It’s quite possible the AFL simply say to those clubs, sorry we don’t want you in our reserves competition.

If that happens, do the stand-alone clubs form a new VFL?
And call it the VFA....

And call it the VFA....
It’s an interesting topic with heaps of options.I love the idea of having a full AFL reserves comp(like it used to be).I reckon nothing will happen until Tassie join and a third tier comp involving Port Melb,Frankston,Werribee,Williamstown,BoxHill,Coburg,Southport is very much an option I would imagine.Strong performing financial clubs like Heidelberg,Keillor,Deer Park,Vermont etc May even want to try their luck in this comp! Who knows? But agree with Damo don’t think we will see Southport back in the QAFL!

It’s an interesting topic with heaps of options.I love the idea of having a full AFL reserves comp(like it used to be).I reckon nothing will happen until Tassie join and a third tier comp involving Port Melb,Frankston,Werribee,Williamstown,BoxHill,Coburg,Southport is very much an option I would imagine.Strong performing financial clubs like Heidelberg,Keillor,Deer Park,Vermont etc May even want to try their luck in this comp! Who knows? But agree with Damo don’t think we will see Southport back in the QAFL!
Sorrento😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely Southport wouldn't remain in what would become a third tier league and travel down to Victoria every second week when they can just go back to the QAFL and save a ton of money. The VFA seems nowhere near as appealing for Southport as the VFL currently is. What would even be the point of staying in the VFA? To say you beat a few third tier Vic teams? They've already done that in the VFL over the last few years.

Surely Southport wouldn't remain in what would become a third tier league and travel down to Victoria every second week when they can just go back to the QAFL and save a ton of money. The VFA seems nowhere near as appealing for Southport as the VFL currently is. What would even be the point of staying in the VFA? To say you beat a few third tier Vic teams? They've already done that in the VFL over the last few years.
Yes you may be right! But so many options and the 3rd tier comp still much better than QAFL(although I hope not)And the stand alone teams mindset will be more to win Premierships rather than current VFL where AFL clubs see it predominantly as a development league.May even rekindle Aspley’s thoughts on travelling back interstate if they continue to dominate QAFL like many believe they will!

The way Aspley is re signing its playing group and without the knowledge of recruits one should hand them the 2024 premiership cup now ,
I don't know where all this talk about Aspley dominating the comp for years to come is coming from. They have won 2 premierships and dropped quite a few games along the way. That happened plenty of times in the past 20 yeras at QAFL level with sides winning 2 premierships in a row. Its not as though they win every game by 15 goals. It would be nice to see the salary cap enforced and the points system taken seriously to even out the comp.

If Will Martyn has signed with Lions VFL does that mean he is now 2 points when he plays for Grange !

🤣probably need to win a few more games in their own comp before looking at higher levels and yes the VFA on a Sunday was just great.Often went and watched the Frankston Dolphins when playing at home on a Sunday.Not much success though but had plenty of thugs🤣
Very scary team with the likes of Mace, Muir and Sarau running around.

I don't know where all this talk about Aspley dominating the comp for years to come is coming from. They have won 2 premierships and dropped quite a few games along the way. That happened plenty of times in the past 20 yeras at QAFL level with sides winning 2 premierships in a row. Its not as though they win every game by 15 goals. It would be nice to see the salary cap enforced and the points system taken seriously to even out the comp.

If Will Martyn has signed with Lions VFL does that mean he is now 2 points when he plays for Grange !
I would have thought as a contracted player he is very very unlikely to play for Grange.

Thunderdoc,, they have been back for 2 years with 2 flags,,, shitting the grand finals in ... in those 2 seasons how many home and away games have they lost ,, very little,, maybe 4 or 5 without checking ,,
Looks like they are retaining the majority of their playing list for 2024 and thats before they announce any recruits,, have plenty of money for their football operation and until the QAFL adjust their points gradings they will dominate for a number of years to come imo ..and dont forget their ressies won the flag as well this season ,,
Im in no way bagging them , one must take your hat off in what they are doing and acheiving here and are taking advantage of the rules that are applied by the QAFL ( If it was my club that I support I have no doubt they would do the same ) .
Their current playing list is not of old age ,, its a good mix and these players are not just very good players they are very strong bodied in build .. I mean look at the past 2 grand finals and compare the bodies / builds of the Aspley players compared to the Broady players last season and Redlands players this season. Even Broady coach Craig OBrien recognised the body size of the Aspley team that combined with being fully fit, great skills and teamwork thats just far above QAFL level come the big dance day ..

I remember in the 2022 GF the competition were cheering for Aspley because they were tired of the Cats winning. As the saying goes careful what you wish for.

Picking up a couple Mt Gravatt players including Leahy (gun) and Cody stackleberg from the VFL along with good retention means they are the strong favourites in 2024. Well run club and who knows the league may possibly have to look at a point limit deduction as a competitive balance or something if they keep winning?

Last edited:
Bit rough that an Aspley supporter having a go at anyone in regards salary cap GK.

Pretty sure that was a separate sponsorship as they had a League, Netball Ambassador but no AFL so Robbo got the gig because of his social media exposure as well.

The salary cap is just a 'guide' over there at the Panthers these days though isn't it?

The self dubbed 'Craig McCrae of the QAFL' is splashing cash everywhere :p

It's very different this time Doc.

You go back to previous dominant teams, and other clubs could chase them down as until 2019 there was no points system and no salary cap. so if a club was dominating, another club who was in a good position off field could just run them down with a big spend on recruits.

This time around we have the wealthiest club, given the biggest leg up from the points system through dodgy back door concessions, able to dominate for years due to a structural advantage that if it is managed well (say by a full time football ops guy?) can be a perpetual advantage for years.

Other clubs can't chase them down, because they are operating within a points system that does not offer them the same enormous structural advantage, and thus a system that was supposed to be about equalising, is actually the greatest enemy of equalisation as one club has a huge structural advantage over all the others.

I'm not sure Trish Squires even knows there is a points system, or which clubs are in the QAFL, so this isn't going to be fixed anytime soon.

Thunderdoc,, they have been back for 2 years with 2 flags,,, shitting the grand finals in ... in those 2 seasons how many home and away games have they lost ,, very little,, maybe 4 or 5 without checking ,,
Looks like they are retaining the majority of their playing list for 2024 and thats before they announce any recruits,, have plenty of money for their football operation and until the QAFL adjust their points gradings they will dominate for a number of years to come imo ..and dont forget their ressies won the flag as well this season ,,
Im in no way bagging them , one must take your hat off in what they are doing and acheiving here and are taking advantage of the rules that are applied by the QAFL ( If it was my club that I support I have no doubt they would do the same ) .
Their current playing list is not of old age ,, its a good mix and these players are not just very good players they are very strong bodied in build .. I mean look at the past 2 grand finals and compare the bodies / builds of the Aspley players compared to the Broady players last season and Redlands players this season. Even Broady coach Craig OBrien recognised the body size of the Aspley team that combined with being fully fit, great skills and teamwork thats just far above QAFL level come the big dance day ..

One of the greatest recruiting strategies I've seen was deploying an assistant coach to apply for the Vultures job, get offered the job, be given the contact list for all the players, ring around and find out there is a bit of unhappiness, knock the job back and go back to Aspley and recruit the best players from the club you were about to coach!

Right under their noses, AFLQ watches one of the great traditional clubs of the last 50 years fall in a heap, while the backl to back Premiers pick over the carcass and grab the best players and have no problems doing so due to the aforementioned points cap debacle that has allowed them to win back to back premierships, then recruit the best players from non finalists in consecutive seasons for 6-7 points and have no trouble fitting them into the 50 (in fact under 45!)

The salary cap is just a 'guide' over there at the Panthers these days though isn't it?

You go back to previous dominant teams, and other clubs could chase them down as until 2019 there was no points system and no salary cap. so if a club was dominating, another club who was in a good position off field could just run them down with a big spend on recruits.

This time around we have the wealthiest club, given the biggest leg up from the points system through dodgy back door concessions, able to dominate for years due to a structural advantage that if it is managed well (say by a full time football ops guy?) can be a perpetual advantage for years.

Other clubs can't chase them down, because they are operating within a points system that does not offer them the same enormous structural advantage, and thus a system that was supposed to be about equalising, is actually the greatest enemy of equalisation as one club has a huge structural advantage over all the others.

I'm not sure Trish Squires even knows there is a points system, or which clubs are in the QAFL, so this isn't going to be fixed anytime soon.

One of the greatest recruiting strategies I've seen was deploying an assistant coach to apply for the Vultures job, get offered the job, be given the contact list for all the players, ring around and find out there is a bit of unhappiness, knock the job back and go back to Aspley and recruit the best players from the club you were about to coach!

Right under their noses, AFLQ watches one of the great traditional clubs of the last 50 years fall in a heap, while the backl to back Premiers pick over the carcass and grab the best players and have no problems doing so due to the aforementioned points cap debacle that has allowed them to win back to back premierships, then recruit the best players from non finalists in consecutive seasons for 6-7 points and have no trouble fitting them into the 50 (in fact under 45!)
Correct ,, and if they were aligned to the other clubs points structure their flag side this year would of equated to some 76 points !!!

Probably agree on the Aspley comments and pretty similar situation with Redlands hence why both sides sitting at top of mountain and will be for some time if managed correctly.

Not sure on the Morningside comment is very valid considering Robbo was first big name they have had for number of years. Apart from him most players on basic payments I would think no different to a lot of other clubs.

Their recruiting strategy no reliant on paying big money I assure you.

Broadbeach have a very good one joining his mates on the plane to Horsham each week, the money blokes are getting offered to play country Vic is amazing and it’s hurting our league but It’s great to see Victoria has worked out QLD footy is a high standard.

My question is how many clubs would be able to pay a salary cap of $100k to $120k a year? Plus coaches

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back