Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: medi sub, I feel that Menegola has more to offer in that he could effectively replace a mid, winger, half forward or half back and play a role well. If there's any doubt around Guthrie's shoulder I'd go with Mena as sub. But if Zuthrie doesn't even make the 23? I don't know if I could remember an unluckier player at the club in the last 15 years.
Maybe it's because I've been a card-carrying member of the Zuthrie fan club since his 'Auskick' days. But I believe his body of work over the entire season well and truly entitles him to a spot ahead of Mena's incredibly interrupted 2022.

Even if the player coming out of the game is not from the back half, Zuth can come in there and release a bunch of other players with flexible roles to play through the middle or up forward, as necessary. He's in better form than Mena and has much more continuity in his footy this year.

Anyway, I totally agree that if he misses the team entirely, I've never known a player perform so well over a H&A season and still miss the finals line-up over all my years barracking for the hoops.

It's a while since you have bought paint.
Luna Moths GIF

Everytime I open my wallet these things fly out...😝 whoops .

Interesting stat: I believe that Geelong and Collingwood have played more finals matches against each other than any other two teams. Can someone confirm? Pretty amazing if it’s true!
I asked similarly last week, and yep we're at 25, soon to be 26.

Even if the player coming out of the game is not from the back half, Zuth can come in there and release a bunch of other players with flexible roles to play through the middle or up forward, as necessary. He's in better form than Mena and has much more continuity in his footy this year.
Agree with this, and think it is what gets Zuth over the line ahead of Gola. We are VERY unlikely to go through the month unchanged though, so whoever misses out will probably get a look at some point.

3rd most in form team leading to finals🤔. How many in a row do we need to win to be considered numero uno?? The work experience kid must have written that surely.
I've no idea how they work the metrics. If it just takes into account the past month or so - it's true, we've been in cruise control, resting key players, managing game time. Probably not really smashing it out of the park in terms of the KPIs.

It's why I think we can't expect to see them suddenly spring into gear on Saturday. The team should do enough to win, but I think the idea is to build a bit of gradual momentum toward the pointy end - weeks (2), 3 and 4.

You've nailed it right there - Zuthrie has both continuity and form on his side , Menegola has missed a lot of footy and has an unusually interrupted season.
Even though Menegola is an endurance freak and meticulous in his preparation I doubt he gets the nod in a high pressure final.

Anyone think Ceglar might be a smoky for sub selection?

My logic is that, in the event any player succumbs to injury, Blitz can fill that hole given his versatility and then Ceglar can come in to relief ruck.
I don't think that's a good idea. Zuthrie can fill most holes and Blitz can still shuffle.

You lose a player and bring back ruck you're running a big risk

This is in line with my thinking. menagola won’t make it back in and I think MOC and Zuthrie very unlucky.

the only change to this might be that they are conservative on Kolo and give him extra time and Zuthrie gets a reprieve (and chance to make selection harder next game).

Attachments

• AF7535C7-E092-4587-A170-1DE0ED6A513F.jpeg
    AF7535C7-E092-4587-A170-1DE0ED6A513F.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 47
Mark O'Connor has played 19 games this year and didn't play the first few rounds due to injury. He'd be unlucky not to play. Those left out could still get a chance in the coming weeks.

Is it just Brisbane v Richmond teams announced tonight and Geelong v Collingwood along with others tomorrow night?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attachments

• 467EC42F-A377-4E7C-8E25-497DA56D1872.gif
    467EC42F-A377-4E7C-8E25-497DA56D1872.gif
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
I don't mind Ceglar playing against a team like Melbourne. I think Gawn would struggle against him.
I think that's also a bad idea. Ceglar won't beat Gawn, at best he will slightly impede him. Then we lose a ground level player elsewhere and with it the advantage we have in pressure running and turnover conversion. You'd throw out everything that has made us good

Interesting stat: I believe that Geelong and Collingwood have played more finals matches against each other than any other two teams. Can someone confirm? Pretty amazing if it’s true!
true that

I don't think that's a good idea. Zuthrie can fill most holes and Blitz can still shuffle.

You lose a player and bring back ruck you're running a big risk
and running not being the operative word

I think that's also a bad idea. Ceglar won't beat Gawn, at best he will slightly impede him. Then we lose a ground level player elsewhere and with it the advantage we have in pressure running and turnover conversion. You'd throw out everything that has made us good
Even if it was a good idea (for the record, I'm with you in thinking that it's not), it would be 'borderline silliness' to trial it for the very first time in a final.

Still, while we're contemplating thoroughly bemusing selection calls made out of the clear blue sky (pun fully intended), the 2019 QF says hi.

🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back