Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t buy it either. I just saw it sitting there at the servo.
shark tank drums GIF by Shark Tank, Network Ten

Was thinking about the one other time in recent years Geelong have maybe been considered flag favourites heading into week 1 of finals:

What a nightmare the 2019 QF against the same opponent was, even outside of dropping Stanley.

Sidebottom turned into peak GAJ for the night. Adams and Treloar ran us off our feet. Collingwood's midfield depth exposed ours badly. Howe and Moore marked/repelled everything. Even Stephenson was lively.

We only had Danger and later on Kelly try to carry the team on their backs. Stewart was good. But GAJ, Sel and Rohan had dog days, Hawkins kicked 0.4, the defence was flustered and Duncan got injured first half.

From that day, probably outs: Kelly, Ablett, Sav, Henderson, Taylor, MOC (?), Narkle, Menegola, Dahl.

Ins: C.Guthrie, Stanley, Cameron, SDK, Smith, Stengle, Close, Holmes, Zuthrie (?)

2019 was a weird one. We finished on top but I reckon we all knew from about mid-July that it was Richmond's flag to lose.

Another case of buggering up the QF and missing out on a probable GF berth, much like 2013.

It was funny reading "stats" about how we don't go coast to coast that often, which means we "can't do it" (their words), which makes the Pies better than us.

The reason we don't go coast to coast that often is because we don't need to, the ball doesn't rebound outside our F50 like it does for most clubs, and we don't give clubs 80 I50s like the Pies do.

Keep reading commentary about how the Pies have improved since R3. I'd say we've improved just as much if not more, and we easily had their measure.

Bring it on.
Cherry picking incidental stats and assumptions to provide hope and assuage fears.
Ignoring all the Key Indicator stats because Cats dominate them.
Pies seem reasonably confident on their board because of their winning streak.

They become desperate and play high risk - nothing to lose - direct footy when trailing Q4
When leading, they are also very good at shutting down play to hold on for a win
When pies lift to hunter mode, most teams panic and rush, creating the turnover Pies feed off.
Alternatively they slow down and try to hold on, conceding the momentum and not scoring.
The key for Cats is to maintain pressure and punish their turnovers like the Swans did.

2019 was a weird one. We finished on top but I reckon we all knew from about mid-July that it was Richmond's flag to lose.

Another case of buggering up the QF and missing out on a probable GF berth, much like 2013.
Actually that's true, by round 23 they may actually have overtaken us as premiership favourites. It was probably around round 16 we looked out in front.

Absolutely agree with the latter point though. We should've got the business done and then (I think) beaten GWS to make the last dance. Richmond had a better side than us though so imagine another GF loss. Although part of me thinks, with Hawkins and Duncan that year against them...

I should've left those memories alone, shouldn't I? My main point is I feel much better about our team heading into this finals series compared to that one.

Actually that's true, by round 23 they may actually have overtaken us as premiership favourites. It was probably around round 16 we looked out in front.

Absolutely agree with the latter point though. We should've got the business done and then (I think) beaten GWS to make the last dance. Richmond had a better side than us though so imagine another GF loss. Although part of me thinks, with Hawkins and Duncan that year against them...

I should've left those memories alone, shouldn't I? My main point is I feel much better about our team heading into this finals series compared to that one.

Had Hawk played in the prelim we would have been in the GF versus GWS.

Imagine that.

The article does say that in terms of our form hitting finals, we're 3rd behind Sydney and Melbourne. So I don't know why he thinks only a 'freak occurrence' will see us miss out on the flag.
Probably just likes to build drama.

Even being a clearly dominant team (which we aren't) you'd be less than 50/50. He's just setting the scene for his next article.

On form though, I could understand us maybe not carrying the form we had given we've been actively resting players and trying to minimise injuries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for paying $20 for the Joel 350 key ring BUT.....
Cats fence banner now available, only $250.
Wot! NO I say to the kids-
At that price I'd want a few players to come and paint the fence.

Some paint tins might be cheaper .

The article does say that in terms of our form hitting finals, we're 3rd behind Sydney and Melbourne. So I don't know why he thinks only a 'freak occurrence' will see us miss out on the flag.
3rd most in form team leading to finals🤔. How many in a row do we need to win to be considered numero uno?? The work experience kid must have written that surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back