Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong, I think both Parfitt and Menegola bring great attributes to the side. However, I think they both have a tendency to just plonk the ball on the boot indiscriminately (Parfitt usually after a shimmy or two). Also, while Menegola has an enormous engine and runs out games well, he often makes critical mistakes under pressure. He is nowhere near as quick or instinctive as the players he is trying to replace.

On top of all this, both Parfitt and Menegola have played less games this year than others who are in the team ahead of them. When those players have taken you to top of the ladder on a 13 game winning streak, no one can complain that Parfitt or Menegola are stiff to miss. The MC are clearly trusting the group that got them there, rather than relying on history or what ifs.
But critical mistakes would of been worse off under the old system Where everything has to be precision. A game plan that involves going long and direct suits him perfectly. He is one of the best long and direct kickers in the team. He can be prone to spray em but it doesnt matter so much when you bomb it long and quickly under the new approach. Under the old game plan a spray when chipping the ball sideways 25 metres was diabolical. Menegola also good at charging foward with ball in hand. He may not be quick but he uses the pace he has. Again this new style which involves more run and carry suits his weopans more. Also suits his contested marking ability as well.

Pretty brutal for Parfitt to miss out. 3 full games back from injury and in the votes twice. I thought our best structure was leaving out one of the inside mids but assumed we wouldn't because it would mean leaving out a ridiculously unlucky player.

Maybe Collingwood's outside run made us wary and we'll bring him back against teams with less running power who are better in the contest.

@JohnZ cld u explain a bit more the total breakdown. Out of the 90k going, how much to MCG members, general, clubs. Does home club get more allocation?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
The MCC and AFL reserve make up roughly 45k out of the 100k seats at the MCG, which means club members and general public have access to the 55k other seats in the ground.

When tickets went on sale to club members in the public reserve, the AFL assigned half the bays (in probably groups of 2-3 consecutively) to each club (ie M50-M52 was assigned to the Pies, M53-55 to the cats etc etc). As club members entered their barcodes into ticketek, they were given best available filling bays from best to worst, front to back and wing to behind goal essentially. So until a group of bays has been filled, the next ones don't get "unlocked".

My assumption is that once Collingwood had filled their 50% of the bays, some "locked" cats bays will have been transferred over to become additional pies bays (fair enough, this would have happened a couple hours after tickets went on sale anyway, so no cats fans who logged on at 10am missed out).

When the tickets went on sale for the general public, any seats unsold were then given fair game to anyone.

This is the same system used for the GF, but the ballot allocates people to bays (and the bays are split 50/50 because demand from both clubs surpasses the supply of tickets)

Usually when it seems obvious there will be a late change there wont be. Its why we do funny buggers at team selection the best. We literally do the double bluff. Even with fringe players.
Yeah there's definitely a psychological element to it. And it only gets more prominent at the pointy end of the season!:p

Maybe Collingwood's outside run made us wary and we'll bring him back against teams with less running power who are better in the contest.

Yeah, that Sydney side sure love their stoppage and contested play. Parfitt would thrive in that kind of environment.

We gotta be a Swiss Army Knife, and have a blade for every occasion.

Biggest threat must be Collingwood-they don't lose, and they scored 9 goals in a quarter against us when we were both middle of the road teams- and we play them tomorrow.
I suspect their speed and tenacity will be up another level after the week off, and will win tomorrow.
We could have to face them again either way in a GF- but that would be better than this week's QF. Until proven otherwise, we have been below par in these games.
Now you’re tipping us to lose?

Last edited:
Biggest threat must be Collingwood-they don't lose, and they scored 9 goals in a quarter against us when we were both middle of the road teams- and we play them tomorrow.
I suspect their speed and tenacity will be up another level after the week off, and will win tomorrow.
We could have to face them again either way in a GF- but that would be better than this week's QF. Until proven otherwise, we have been below par in these games.
But they burnt their bridges in kicking those goals and were spent in the final quarter. Kept goalless in the 4Q by a middle of the road side (your words).

Add to that, Geelong's defence tightened up beautifully as the season progressed. Post the Saints loss only twice has the opposition kicked more than 70 points against the Cats - Richmond (86) and Port Adelaide (94). We won both of course. Average score against us - 62 points

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee, I like the man that Chris Scott has become.

Gee, I like the man that Chris Scott has become.
He was in scintillating form wasn't he? Reporters tried hard to get a negative headline out of him and he didn't even need to play a straight bat to them. Just took them to task in the most honest way possible, opening up even more than what they were prepared about what this moment means in the context of his life. Good luck making that into clickbait for Collingwood fans.

He was in scintillating form wasn't he? Reporters tried hard to get a negative headline out of him and he didn't even need to play a straight bat to them. Just took them to task in the most honest way possible, opening up even more than what they were prepared about what this moment means in the context of his life. Good luck making that into clickbait for Collingwood fans.
I read on their forum that they believe that McRae and Leppa don't like or get along with Scott. Meanwhile, Scott says he has alot of respect for them and gets along with them quite well.

I like the fact that he's just open to life in general and being positive about things - and that in turn is driving the direction of the team. What happens if its a heavy stoppage game? We adapt. What happens if its a low pressure game? We adapt. We just play the game and live in each moment. I've never ever heard of any coach or manager talking like this. He's relaxed and stopped fighting and is going with the current. I reckon he's a bit of a Ted Lasso at the moment.

Nah, it doesnt bother me. I've always liked CS and I respect how he has evolved as a person and a coach. I'm just happy to be here, happy to see the team become what it has. Every game from now is a bonus.
Yes. Just watching now. He's very comfortable in his skin and his role at the club.

I just don't think we are playing funny buggers this year, there is no way Scotty says 100% if he isn't confident that is what is happening.
Obviously unexpected circumstances can arise, but we aren't being cute or sneaky I don't think.
The named team is what I expect to see play
I feel with spots this tight the coaches don't want to dick around the players like we normally do when the stakes aren't as high .

I read on their forum that they believe that McRae and Leppa don't like or get along with Scott. Meanwhile, Scott says he has alot of respect for them and gets along with them quite well.

I like the fact that he's just open to life in general and being positive about things - and that in turn is driving the direction of the team. What happens if its a heavy stoppage game? We adapt. What happens if its a low pressure game? We adapt. We just play the game and live in each moment. I've never ever heard of any coach or manager talking like this. He's relaxed and stopped fighting and is going with the current. I reckon he's a bit of a Ted Lasso at the moment.
Meanwhile Lappo will go to war with Scotty. Isn't all for one, one for all in their club song = Fitzroy/Brisbane

Please dear god can our finals panickers please not drop the bags this year.. anyone who watches football knows the guys I'm talking about Blicavs, Kolo, Stanley, Rohan etc

First give Blitz ..I yell every week from the stands ...😝.

Rohan will kick 3 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back