Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My worry with Geelong is always ball winning ability. There is a threshold for how many flankers you can have in the side. Bews, Tuohy, Close, Miers, Stengle, Rohan, Zuthrie, Kolo. That's 8 players plus 6 KPP/Ruck that you are not backing to get 20 touches. Spreading the load very thin on the rest when finals are always so contested.

That worries me too which is why id like to see parfitt in.

No excuses. Best team we've listed all season.

Parfitt very unlucky but they have been prepping Danger & Selwood all season for a big run in September - expect extra midfield minutes from them which pushes Parfitt to the bench / sub role.

Our other midfielders have more flexibility in terms of roles they can play in the team with the ability to fill gaps in the forward/backline or ruck (Blicavs).
Atkins, Guthrie, Duncan etc.

Parfitt will make a great sub. Although, wouldn't be surprised if Guthrie is a late out and replaced in the team with Parfitt. Then MOC or Menegola SUB.

Good point re possibly MOC as sub, given that this team on paper seems strategic.
They've backed him in all year despite having some low light games.
And we all know Scott's mindset is defensive irrespective of the new speed.
Anyway I prefer him to Menegola, just me.

I'd give Parfitt the job of go with Taylor Adams at the bounce and stoppages ,agree Menegola is looking a bit pedestrian in this side.
Menegola was never going to be selected with our best 22 on the park. Very much in that 26-30 range these days.

Parfitt I'm surprised, but I suspect will be a late change for my CGuth

People do realise under AFL regulations you have to name a team Thursday night for a Saturday game.

I don't actually think we are playing "Ducks and Drakes", I think we still haven't fully decided our 22 yet.
Waiting on slight niggles, MC musings etc.

Unfortunately 25 doesn't go into 22 so 3 players have to be named as emergencies, obviously you name 20 or 21 as playing who are definites, but 1 or 2 may be subject to further scrutiny, injury assessment etc.

So may well be a change or even two (doubtful), if you're not listed as an emergency you cannot come in (heavy fine otherwise)

The club has been upfront before that listing players as “managed” allows them some flexibility for team selection. Hence sometimes players who are actually omitted are listed as managed.

To be fair, maybe he was just managed and then left out this week. But I doubt it - I suspect he was omitted.
If he was omitted surely he would have played VFL?

I just don't think we are playing funny buggers this year, there is no way Scotty says 100% if he isn't confident that is what is happening.
Obviously unexpected circumstances can arise, but we aren't being cute or sneaky I don't think.
The named team is what I expect to see play

Seeds me old mate...we're usually on the same page, but on this, I'm thinking a little differently.

IN the last several games I've watched Atkins and seen his value. Interesting thing I have noticed- often he's the first link in the chain that leads to a score. I don't know how "score involvement" stats work, but in the last few games he's been first in line for about 3-4 goals a game. Plus his ability to stop another side's run out of the middle is exceptional. I really rate him.
Do we have score involvement stats to compare? This would be a good way to help confirm the point you are making.

I just don't think we are playing funny buggers this year, there is no way Scotty says 100% if he isn't confident that is what is happening.
Obviously unexpected circumstances can arise, but we aren't being cute or sneaky I don't think.
We have been playing funny buggers with selections all year including our very last game.

So even the MC is overestimating Atkins are they? And you're the only one who knows the truth? Lol...
We all suffer the same cognitive biases. Expertise in a field doesnt necessarily make us less prone to cogntive biases. In fact closer relationships with the players and staff involved could make the MC more prone to cognitive biases then us arm chair experts who are more detached.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Well, at the time, and I mean no disrespect, and I've got to go with all the advice I've received at the time, we really back our medical team to provide us with the right advice, they told us that he was fit to play. If that information changed then I am fairly confident that something must have changed inbetween those times." - Chris Scott, Pre Game, Tomorrow.

50% of 55k seats. But I suspect that cats bays got automatically allocated to the Pies once they sold theirs out. My assumption is that it was probably a 20k-25k/30k-35k split cats/pies
@JohnZ cld u explain a bit more the total breakdown. Out of the 90k going, how much to MCG members, general, clubs. Does home club get more allocation?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Have played funny buggers plenty this year and in the past.

I see no reason why we'd start giving the opposition our starting team two days before a massive final when we hardly have done it even in dead rubber type games.

I'll be very surprised if one of Duncan, Guthrie or Kolo are not a late out.

I'm pretty happy with that team. Seems like a commitment to the 'new' style of Geelong this year. Menegola and Parfitt are a little symbolic of the old way... a bit slow, methodical, imprecise with skills, etc. It feels like the coaches want a fast, skilled, high-pressure team that is offensively relentless. It may not work, but considering we've fallen short in recent years trying to absorb pressure, I'm encouraged by the determination to press forward and take the game on.
Menegola and parfitt arent methodical. parfits a line breaker with a great shimmy. Menegola loves to go long fast and up the guts. Both styles were negatively impaced by the old style. They suit the new style much better.

they have just had injury prone seasons and been in and out of the side because of those injuries. This just makes us think they were better suited to the old way cos thats when they played most of their games when fit. But its a subconscious association trick our mind plays on us.

parfitts having his best statisical season by a long way this year when he actually gets on the park. This is despite the fact his season averages have been weighed down by the game where he was sub for most of the match. Menegola cant seem to string two full games together with injury. If he did im sure he would be having career best form as well with this new approach

Glad they are goneski, 1 out of 3 worries gone. Sydney, Melbourne, Richmond are biggest threats IMO.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Biggest threat must be Collingwood-they don't lose, and they scored 9 goals in a quarter against us when we were both middle of the road teams- and we play them tomorrow.
I suspect their speed and tenacity will be up another level after the week off, and will win tomorrow.
We could have to face them again either way in a GF- but that would be better than this week's QF. Until proven otherwise, we have been below par in these games.

Menegola and parfitt arent methodical. parfits a line breaker with a great shimmy. Menegola loves to go long fast and up the guts. Both styles were negatively impaced by the old style. They suit the new style much better.

they have just had injury prone seasons and been in and out of the side because of those injuries. This just makes us think they were better suited to the old way cos thats when they played most of their games when fit. But its a subconscious association trick our mind plays on us.

parfitts having his best statisical season by a long way this year when he actually gets on the park. This is despite the fact his season averages have been weighed down by the game where he was sub for most of the match. Menegola cant seem to string two full games together with injury. If he did im sure he would be having career best form as well with this new approach
Don't get me wrong, I think both Parfitt and Menegola bring great attributes to the side. However, I think they both have a tendency to just plonk the ball on the boot indiscriminately (Parfitt usually after a shimmy or two). Also, while Menegola has an enormous engine and runs out games well, he often makes critical mistakes under pressure. He is nowhere near as quick or instinctive as the players he is trying to replace.

On top of all this, both Parfitt and Menegola have played less games this year than others who are in the team ahead of them. When those players have taken you to top of the ladder on a 13 game winning streak, no one can complain that Parfitt or Menegola are stiff to miss. The MC are clearly trusting the group that got them there, rather than relying on history or what ifs.

Like others gut tells me Parfitt will be a late in

Duncan or C Guth won’t get up

No risk policy with double chance

Parfitt most likely the sub, but outside of that I think C Scott should be taken on face value. Just because a few players like Menegola Ceglar Parfitt are stiff not to make the starting 22 it shouldn't mean we assume there will be changes.

I've heard as late as an hour ago that everyone is fine to play. Kolo has no signs of concussion hangover, with Guthrie and Duncan in no danger to miss. Anything could happen between now and game time (hopefully not) but at this stage what I'm being told is that it
Like others gut tells me Parfitt will be a late in

Duncan or C Guth won’t get up

No risk policy with double chance
Duncan and Guthrie are both 100% fine.

Parfitt will be the sub. Bookmark it. Not even the slightest temptation (or need) to have Ceglar as the sub. Menegola not quite where he needs to be to push for best 22 and has missed a big chunk of footy. O'Connor is surplus to needs but more likely to play if and when we play Melbourne with a deeper midfield.

Horses for courses as the coach often says and for this weeks game at least, this is the best side we could have hoped to be in a position to field.

Parfitt most likely the sub, but outside of that I think C Scott should be taken on face value. Just because a few players like Menegola Ceglar Parfitt are stiff not to make the starting 22 it shouldn't mean we assume there will be changes.

I've heard as late as an hour ago that everyone is fine to play. Kolo has no signs of concussion hangover, with Guthrie and Duncan in no danger to miss. Anything could happen between now and game time (hopefully not) but at this stage what I'm being told is that it

Duncan and Guthrie are both 100% fine.

Parfitt will be the sub. Bookmark it. Not even the slightest temptation (or need) to have Ceglar as the sub. Menegola not quite where he needs to be to push for best 22 and has missed a big chunk of footy. O'Connor is surplus to needs but more likely to play if and when we play Melbourne with a deeper midfield.

Horses for courses as the coach often says and for this weeks game at least, this is the best side we could have hoped to be in a position to field.
If they play O’Connor ahead of Parfitt or even Menengola to counter Melbournes strong midfield it is a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back