Preview QF1 Geelong v Collingwood Sat Sept 3 2022, 435pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would prefer Parfitt in and Rohan out. If Kolo and Zuthrie are playing then surely Danger and Henry can play a bit up forward. We all know what we’ll get from Rohan in finals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m seeing a lot of confidence here. Am I the only one who genuinely regards this as a 50/50 game? I’m sure Vdubs is with me.

The good news is that I had a similar feeling facing Hawthorn in the 2011 QF and we know how the next month panned out.

I’m seeing a lot of confidence here. Am I the only one who genuinely regards this as a 50/50 game? I’m sure Vdubs is with me.

The good news is that I had a similar feeling facing Hawthorn in the 2011 QF and we know how the next month panned out.
I had similar thoughts in 2016 and 2013 too. Our thoughts are irrelevant lol

I had similar thoughts in 2016 and 2013 too. Our thoughts are irrelevant lol

I just don’t get it, I rate Collingwood higher than any 5-8 teams including Freo and Brisbane, yet some think we’ll crush them tomorrow 🤷‍♀️

Logic tells me we should win this comfortably. But then I look at our winning streak and I wonder if it’s really that good. Don’t get me wrong, 13 wins is 13 wins, but did we beat the best sides? You can only beat your opposition I tell myself.

The flip side is I look at the Collingwood team compared to ours and my confidence skyrockets. We have a very experienced team with some nice dashes of youthful talent with serious pace.

I get to the point where we smash them. I do wonder if Cameron is a late out… play conservative and hope we win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Worried about Melbourne. Worried about Sydney. But I don't think the Pies have the cattle, and I think when they break they break big time. Obviously, any team can win any game given the right circumstances, and my confidence assumes we are going to turn up ready to play and make a statement. If we turn up half hearted the Pies are defo good enough to roll us.

I just don’t get it, I rate Collingwood higher than any 5-8 teams including Freo and Brisbane, yet some think we’ll crush them tomorrow 🤷‍♀️
Disagree. They’re on par with Richmond, but they won the close ones. That’s the difference. Doesn’t make them a better team come finals.

If we are up by less than 30 at 3QT they’ll have a sniff which is why I think we’ll be ruthless early to take any chance out of it.

Carlton and Melbourne win their games against the Pies 8/10 times realistically…….

Worried about Melbourne. Worried about Sydney. But I don't think the Pies have the cattle, and I think when they break they break big time. Obviously, any team can win any game given the right circumstances, and my confidence assumes we are going to turn up ready to play and make a statement. If we turn up half hearted the Pies are defo good enough to roll us.

Nice post. I actually think Pies have a deeper 22 than Dees - obviously Dees have arguably the best top 4-6 players in the comp (are we equal with them now?) but I think their bottom 6 have really been exposed this season. Pies are far more even across the park without the superstars but also without the total battlers.

Logic tells me we should win this comfortably. But then I look at our winning streak and I wonder if it’s really that good. Don’t get me wrong, 13 wins is 13 wins, but did we beat the best sides? You can only beat your opposition I tell myself.

The flip side is I look at the Collingwood team compared to ours and my confidence skyrockets. We have a very experienced team with some nice dashes of youthful talent with serious pace.

I get to the point where we smash them. I do wonder if Cameron is a late out… play conservative and hope we win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Really hope not...Without Cameron, we simply do not win this one.

Last edited:
I’m just unsure as to why he’s back pedalled from a few days ago?
I have not picked us to win, so no back-pedalling.
I desperately want us to win.
I get why we are favourites, but this is a final, after a bye, after 13 consecutive wins.
Until we actually win a week one finals game like this, I remain a doubter.
Should not, and does not affect the confidence of any other supporter or poster.

But they burnt their bridges in kicking those goals and were spent in the final quarter. Kept goalless in the 4Q by a middle of the road side (your words).

Add to that, Geelong's defence tightened up beautifully as the season progressed. Post the Saints loss only twice has the opposition kicked more than 70 points against the Cats - Richmond (86) and Port Adelaide (94). We won both of course. Average score against us - 62 points
We were MOTR early this year- losses to Hawks, Freo, Swans.
Both teams have improved since our first encounter.
Any talk of us smashing them is ridiculous and unrealistic and disrespectful, but to be expected on our own board coming into a final after 13 straight wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not picked us to win, so no back-pedalling.
I desperately want us to win.
I get why we are favourites, but this is a final, after a bye, after 13 consecutive wins.
Until we actually win a week one finals game like this, I remain a doubter.
Should not, and does not affect the confidence of any other supporter or poster.
Not effecting confidence at all. I enjoy reading your posts and was curious.

Disagree. They’re on par with Richmond, but they won the close ones. That’s the difference. Doesn’t make them a better team come finals.

If we are up by less than 30 at 3QT they’ll have a sniff which is why I think we’ll be ruthless early to take any chance out of it.

Carlton and Melbourne win their games against the Pies 8/10 times realistically…….
Just not the case though is it?

But critical mistakes would of been worse off under the old system Where everything has to be precision. A game plan that involves going long and direct suits him perfectly. He is one of the best long and direct kickers in the team. He can be prone to spray em but it doesnt matter so much when you bomb it long and quickly under the new approach. Under the old game plan a spray when chipping the ball sideways 25 metres was diabolical. Menegola also good at charging foward with ball in hand. He may not be quick but he uses the pace he has. Again this new style which involves more run and carry suits his weopans more. Also suits his contested marking ability as well.

Well said. I think his injury run has really counted against him this year but you have nailed the reasons why i would still pick him.

Pretty brutal for Parfitt to miss out. 3 full games back from injury and in the votes twice. I thought our best structure was leaving out one of the inside mids but assumed we wouldn't because it would mean leaving out a ridiculously unlucky player.

Maybe Collingwood's outside run made us wary and we'll bring him back against teams with less running power who are better in the contest.

Would have to be. Id be staggered if we took on syndey or melbournes midfields without parfitt.

This is now must win. A loss means having to go through the Swans at the SCG to make the GF.
We have 1... ONE. Finals win outside Victoria in our history. And that was 2020 when we spent the whole season interstate.

We were MOTR early this year- losses to Hawks, Freo, Swans.
Both teams have improved since our first encounter.
Any talk of us smashing them is ridiculous and unrealistic and disrespectful, but to be expected on our own board coming into a final after 13 straight wins.

Comes down to game styles- Pies run and gun and often give up big leads within matches, but balance this out by being able to score heavily in bursts. If we manage to nullify their bursts but they give us a few runs.. could be quite lopsided by game end. Either way will know by this time tomorrow night.

Disagree. They lack a dominant key forward but have a few dangerous others. We still have one dominant key forward and a few dangerous others without Cameron.
I think their lack of a dominant key actually works in their favour for a pressure game. There's no default entry pattern. Under pressure, where are they sending it? Even they don't know until they look

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back