Burgoyne..Schoen...Birchall
Smith......Mitchell.....Young
WhiteX......Buddy.....Lewis
Rioli........Roughy....Popeye

R: Hale....Sewell....Shiels
I/C: Suckling.Gunston.Breust
Sub: Ellis
Emg: Savage..Murphy..Bailey

We have flexibility within that side to swing players around to cover as required; & Ellis is versatile as a Sub & can play at either end or the middle.

My main concern is if they sent Shaw to FP to trouble Hodge for pace; but that may favour us as it leaves one genuine rebounding defender in a O'Brien one out with a genuine nightmare in a guy named Rioli...
A forwardline of Thomas, Krakeour (sp), Shaw, Fasolo, Sidebottom/Beams & Cloke could well bother us for pace though... I just hope that doing so would limit their midfield rotations too much to be sustainable.

IN: Ellis
OUT: Guerra (inj)

B: Whitecross Gibson Stratton
HB: Birchall Schoenmakers Hodge
C: Smith Mitchell Young
HF: Gunston Franklin Burgoyne
F: Puopolo Roughead Rioli
R: Hale Sewell Lewis

INT: Suckling Shiels Ellis Breust (Sub)

EMG: Murphy Bailey Savage

I see Cheney coming in with Bruest as the sub.

I worry that if they go with Ellis, it weakens our midfield where Collingwood are strongest (not so worried about their forwards) as Hodge/Burgoyne have to play back. It gives us less flexibility.

Cheney is as close as we've got to a 'like for like' - I know he's not, we will miss Goo's hard body and left foot, but Ellis causes too much of a team re-shuffle.

Don't put Bruest as sub.
How would Collingwood defend a Buddy, Rough, Gunner, Rioli, Poppy, Breust forward line? If we get it in there it will be hard to defend.

Ellis as sub.

Shaw will play a defensive role on Gibson in my opinion. Did the job on Hardingham last night (yeah, it was only Hardingham) but I suspect they did that in preparation for Gibson. If we let him fly third man up all night long, the ball is going to go from one end to the other in no time.

One advantage I see for us, and it's very minimal, is the run into the finals. Hawthorn have had hard slogs against Sydney and West Coast. Seemed to run out of legs in the last quarter and a half of Friday night so if we can keep with you til 3/4 quarter time, I'll back us in. Massive 'if' though.

See ya Friday!

I think it is 100% right that the Hawks are going to see a completely different collingwood structure this Friday. What happened last time might not be that relevant this time. Pies are a good contested side and they will apply pressure through the middle. Pies were not going to spend their petrol tickets against the scum. Hawks nearly beat the Pies last year when the roles of favourite were completely reversed, not reason the pies won't do the same this year

Since Johnson has been back, he's been playing back pocket and Shaw on the wing and stints up forward.

Not many decent kicks in the backline then. If we put on decent forward pressure we will be forcing many turnovers in our forward half

... Pies are a good contested side and they will apply pressure through the middle....

Dunno about that. They apply pressure around the stoppage and force you to handball. It works against poor teams like the Bumblers. We dismantled them last time and I see no reason why it will not happen again.

Pies cannot go one on one across the whole ground. Could you imagine Shaw, Maxwell or Obrien exposed one out. It would be carnage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Cheney coming in with Bruest as the sub.

I worry that if they go with Ellis, it weakens our midfield where Collingwood are strongest (not so worried about their forwards) as Hodge/Burgoyne have to play back. It gives us less flexibility.

Cheney is as close as we've got to a 'like for like' - I know he's not, we will miss Goo's hard body and left foot, but Ellis causes too much of a team re-shuffle.

I like Cheney too but he's injured.

I think Whitecross will be the sub.

All good things going well, the sub needs to come on towards end of 3rd/start of the 4th and add grunt & run, and potential scoreboard impact. I don't think Ellis adds this.

Breust is a great sub, but he has done enough to earn a spot in the starting 18 IMO.

I just don't want to see Suckling as sub!!!

Most likely Ellis will come in for Guerra. I think that's a mistake. He really hasn't done anything for several years. I'm not convinced.

I'd rather see Savage in the side. He's had a mixed year but his run and carry is valuable.

If Dawes comes back in for the Pies then we should go with Gilham.

Smith as the sub for me. Absolutely no to Murphy!

Just found out my sister's plane to England leaves at 9pm on Friday.
You have to be kidding me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back