Preview Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure nobody noticed or cares but good to be back from my self enforced ban after the passing of GUH to show some respect to a guy I clashed heads with.

I wanted to chat Swans after every week what a roller coaster.

We got there phew

One of the most important match ups is stopping Brent Daniels he was a big out for them against the Dogs and he plays on quick and sets up many of their scoring opportunities or kicks them himself. We did well shutting Whitfield down previously but I hope they also have a plan for Daniel’s and I’m struggling to think of the best match up maybe Cunningham.
Yep their smalls in Daniels and don’t forget Darcy Jones are absolutely dangerous with their speed, tackling pressure (esp in Jones’ case) and hit the scoreboard too.
Cunningham will be one match up. Dunno who will take the other

I’m sure nobody noticed or cares but good to be back from my self enforced ban after the passing of GUH to show some respect to a guy I clashed heads with.

I wanted to chat Swans after every week what a roller coaster.

We got there phew

One of the most important match ups is stopping Brent Daniels he was a big out for them against the Dogs and he plays on quick and sets up many of their scoring opportunities or kicks them himself. We did well shutting Whitfield down previously but I hope they also have a plan for Daniel’s and I’m struggling to think of the best match up maybe Cunningham.

welcome home, we've got a bit of a party going

I don’t think that we will move Oli back to defence for this game.

Our back 7 should be
McCartin, Melican, Rampe, Blakey, Mills, Cunningham, Roberts

McCartin > Hogan
Melican > Cadman
Cunningham > Daniels
Rampe > Greene

I don’t think that we will move Oli back to defence for this game.

Our back 7 should be
McCartin, Melican, Rampe, Blakey, Mills, Cunningham, Roberts

McCartin > Hogan
Melican > Cadman
Cunningham > Daniels
Rampe > Greene
Yes on the back 7.
Not sure who's on first.

In both GWS games, Grundy was able to rove and play that extra midfielder role v Briggs. Think Briggs is a bit banged up so if Grundy can do similar from the third quarter, we will pull away.
Looks a different Grundy atm than earlier in the year

Hope he isnt cooked

Geez…there’s a pile of nervous energy going into this thread.

Relax people - the game is next Saturday! 😉

I think we can win. Maybe the last two or three months was needed, get the shite footy out of our systems and bring our best in September. We only need to do it three times. Can this team play three great games of footy in a row? Is the Pope Catholic?

I think we have more answers for their players than they do for ours. We have proven blueprints for how to stop the likes of Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene etc. but there doesn't appear to be much evidence they know how to stop Luke Parker, Errol Gulden and James Rowbottom in particular. The saying is "Don't get beaten by what you know," yet GWS seem to get beaten by these guys a lot. Unless Adam Kingsley (and Leon Cameron before him...) are complete potatoes, it suggests these guys just aren't good match-ups for GWS.

I think Grundy can burn Briggs in and around stoppages. I really rate Briggs and think he's a gun ruckman but he can get exposed against rucks that like to get on the move quickly and be part of attacking chains. That is Grundy to a tee when at his best.

I think that all of the above creates a scenario where we could be in the autopsy thread after a win celebrating both the big, flashy performances of the stand-out performers, but also highlighting the unseen roles the commentators will no doubt ignore, by the likes of Jordon, Cunningham and - if he plays - McInerney, who will all have key roles in what happens.

I think that our key forwards, assuming all three are named, will have an easier job than a number of the other key forward groups in this year's finals series, and that is to simply compete. Unlike other teams, we don't have a Coleman Medallist or three huge contested marking machines to rely on for scoring power. We just need them to not let the opposition defenders be the most influential players on the ground. It's a low bar that actually works in our favour.

I think that we have been playing without a whole lot to play for for a long time now, and now suddenly having so much to play for - a home prelim - will be a vital jolt to our players' systems and maybe make them start better than they have since the very early rounds of the season when top spot was not ours.

I think there's reasons for concern but also plenty of reasons for some optimism.

Go Swans.

Briggs shoulder is absolutely stuffed for the last month and Grundy has been gliding his way through the last 6-8 weeks. He still shows signs of what he was doing early in the season but he spent a lot of time on the bench with 4 of his lowest 9 TOGs in the last 4 weeks. Also i back McLean on their secondary whether that be Riccardi or Keefe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we can win. Maybe the last two or three months was needed, get the shite footy out of our systems and bring our best in September. We only need to do it three times. Can this team play three great games of footy in a row? Is the Pope Catholic?

I think we have more answers for their players than they do for ours. We have proven blueprints for how to stop the likes of Lachie Whitfield, Toby Greene etc. but there doesn't appear to be much evidence they know how to stop Luke Parker, Errol Gulden and James Rowbottom in particular. The saying is "Don't get beaten by what you know," yet GWS seem to get beaten by these guys a lot. Unless Adam Kingsley (and Leon Cameron before him...) are complete potatoes, it suggests these guys just aren't good match-ups for GWS.

I think Grundy can burn Briggs in and around stoppages. I really rate Briggs and think he's a gun ruckman but he can get exposed against rucks that like to get on the move quickly and be part of attacking chains. That is Grundy to a tee when at his best.

I think that all of the above creates a scenario where we could be in the autopsy thread after a win celebrating both the big, flashy performances of the stand-out performers, but also highlighting the unseen roles the commentators will no doubt ignore, by the likes of Jordon, Cunningham and - if he plays - McInerney, who will all have key roles in what happens.

I think that our key forwards, assuming all three are named, will have an easier job than a number of the other key forward groups in this year's finals series, and that is to simply compete. Unlike other teams, we don't have a Coleman Medallist or three huge contested marking machines to rely on for scoring power. We just need them to not let the opposition defenders be the most influential players on the ground. It's a low bar that actually works in our favour.

I think that we have been playing without a whole lot to play for for a long time now, and now suddenly having so much to play for - a home prelim - will be a vital jolt to our players' systems and maybe make them start better than they have since the very early rounds of the season when top spot was not ours.

I think there's reasons for concern but also plenty of reasons for some optimism.

Go Swans.

From c88 I find this post disconcertingly optimistic. :tongueclosed:

From c88 I find this post disconcertingly optimistic. :tongueclosed:
I always try to be balanced, but I'll admit, my nerves and general concerns can skew my judgment and make it easy to forget there are also plenty of reasons to believe!

I expect a big game from Grundy, probably starting a bit slow as he sometimes does but then to just keep pulling away as the game goes on. I expect a big end of second quarter and whole of third quarter for the swans.

Grundy has been refreshing on the fly and so should be prime for finals. I also think the AA team naming has come at just the right time to rekindle Grundy’s fire. At the the start of the season he had a real point to prove and was arguably better than Gawn (and clearly outplayed Gawn when they went head to head).

Grundy since fell away though, so if he wants to really stick it to Melbourne and Collingwood (outside of playing actual finals this year, lol) then he needs to dominate the final series.

so freo played all of the top 4 outside Sydney in the last 3 weeks. my thoughts are that port are the most dangerous team over gws and geelong.

they were all similar margins. don't get me wrong gws can roll sydney. but they aren't a ferrari. they only beat freo by 2.5 goals with hogan going nuclear. (10 shots on goal, 6 goals). Brent daniels having an all time game. i think he had a player rating of 30 or something ridiculous.

geelong seemed to be slightly more polished, better team defence and patrick dangerfield had an awesome last quarter. however, i think they don't have the midfield talent. justa super professional club which allows you to get more consistent results. which in a season allows you to more likely achieve top 4. but struggle to win a premiership.

port seem to have figured out their team defence and i think freo threw everything at them and couldn't get it done. however, we were outmatched in the midfield talent wise once hayden young got injured and darcy wasn't playing. i think its underrated how deep port midfield is. drew, butters, rozee, JHF, sweet, wines, boak,..etc.

i think sydney are better than the rest of the top 4. simply because i believe if freo had treacy, darcy, healthy cox, pearce we win 2/3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back