Quarter of a century without Fitzroy: Is the AFL better or worse off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was also shocked when I tuned into the GWS game. What are they, 10 years in? New coach, Rd. 1, still some serious talent on their list and only 7,000 show up.
7,000 looked generous, as well.

To be fair it was a stinking hot 37 degrees. Better pool/beach weather than footy weather.

Plus Sydney have barely had a down patch for 25 years now which has certainly helped rust on a whole lot of supporters

It's part of the AFL policy not to have them down for too long. I suspect the same will be true of GWS, they just can't afford to have multiple years of being non-competitive/not making finals.

Carlton were 8-10 million in debt in the 2000s period when they won the wooden spoons too.

fortunately for them, they won been success 16 premierships and had a loyal supporter base because of it
I can't recall the timeframe (I think it was much earlier in the 20th Century) but Collingwood had a similar issue with its cricket club including the cricket club members being granted free entry to Collingwood games and the reserved seating/social club area at Vic Park. The football club ultimately were able to get things their way by having football people in important positions on the Council and the Council appointed trust for Vic Park. It's detailed in the book Kill For Collingwood which is a fantastic read if you love the history of the game.

Do you know of a particular book that documents the Fitzroy history above? I've tried to get Dyson Hore-Lacy's book to no avail but not sure it would cover this much historical detail of the FFC.

Agree with your later comments that the move to the Western Oval really was the death knell of Fitzroy. With players leaving and fans not attending as it wasn't in the same geographic location the crowds dwindled and the club was able to offer little resistance to the AFLs bastardry.
There’s currently a doco on Kayo about the fitzroy Brisbane situation at the moment called the merge was interesting to watch

Do you know of a particular book that documents the Fitzroy history above? I've tried to get Dyson Hore-Lacy's book to no avail but not sure it would cover this much historical detail of the FFC.
There's plenty of Fitzroy books.

Fitzroy, Dyson Hore-Lacy, 2000
Merger, William Westerland, 2021
The Death of Fitzroy Football Club, Russell Holmesby, 2020
The Other Side of Smith Street (Fitzroy v Collingwood down the Years), Marc Fiddian, 2010
Alistair Lynch, Alistair Lynch with Peter Blucher, 2005
Roar of the Lions, Chris Lang, Garrie Hutchison, John Ross, 1997
Fitzroy: For the Love of the Jumper Chris Donald, 2002
Forever Fitzroy: A History of the Brunswick Street Oval, Marc Fiddian, 2004
Kevin Murray: Heart of a Lion, Chris Donald, 2005
Maroon and Blue, Adam Muyt, 2006
The First One Hundred Seasons 1883-1983, Mike Sutherland, Rod Nicholson, Stewart Murray, 1983
Paul Roos: Beyond 300, Paul Roos, 1997
Miracle Match: The Day David Downed Goliath (Brunswick Street July 6th 1963), Ken Piesse 2014
Fitzroy, Jim Main, 2007

There are other books with snippets of Fitzroy in them such as the Norm Smith biography 'The Red Fox'.

There's plenty of Fitzroy books.

Fitzroy, Dyson Hore-Lacy, 2000
Merger, William Westerland, 2021
The Death of Fitzroy Football Club, Russell Holmesby, 2020
The Other Side of Smith Street (Fitzroy v Collingwood down the Years), Marc Fiddian, 2010
Alistair Lynch, Alistair Lynch with Peter Blucher, 2005
Roar of the Lions, Chris Lang, Garrie Hutchison, John Ross, 1997
Fitzroy: For the Love of the Jumper Chris Donald, 2002
Forever Fitzroy: A History of the Brunswick Street Oval, Marc Fiddian, 2004
Kevin Murray: Heart of a Lion, Chris Donald, 2005
Maroon and Blue, Adam Muyt, 2006
The First One Hundred Seasons 1883-1983, Mike Sutherland, Rod Nicholson, Stewart Murray, 1983
Paul Roos: Beyond 300, Paul Roos, 1997
Miracle Match: The Day David Downed Goliath (Brunswick Street July 6th 1963), Ken Piesse 2014
Fitzroy, Jim Main, 2007

There are other books with snippets of Fitzroy in them such as the Norm Smith biography 'The Red Fox'.
Thanks mate, I've read a couple of those and will try and source some others. As I said I've tried to find the Hore-Lacy book, it comes up on eBay occasionally but is pretty expensive.

I've read a couple of those and will try and source some others.

Some are hard to get these days. I'm just glad I bought them all when they came out. Ive got multiple copies of some but am still reluctant to lend any in case I never see them again.

To add to the list of books there's also
Fitzroy's Fabulous Century: The 100 Greatest Victories, 1897-1996, Peter Carter, 2020

Last edited:
Well... Another good Example would be Brisbanes early years too.

Look at the Brisbane teams early years. Crowds were horrible from the early years from 1987-1993.

Crowds slowly increased in 1994 when they were finals contenders. Then in 1996 when they made top 4, they got some sell out games at home.

I definately remember those years when they won those grand final years from 2001-4, The Gabbas Capacity was around 37,500. It was constantly sold out.

Yeah It helps when the Swans had constant success from 1996 onwards to 2022. They have made finals regularly. Made finals in 1996-1999, 2001, 2002-08, 2010-18, 2021-22.

So on the other hand missed out on finals in 2000, 2002, 2009, 2019-20.

Crazy to think that they made a grand final in 1945, Which was also their last finals win as South Melbourne. Their next finals win was until they made a grand final in 1996. Yep, its crazy the swans went from 1945-1996, thats 51 years in a row of no finals wins.

Making Grand finals in 1996, 2005, 2006, 2012, 2014, 2016 and 2022 helps too.
Something for Essendon to aspire to

Were you there to see Paddy O'Brien play?
I'm old but not that old mate! With a name like that he definitely must have had some irish heritage.

was worse off when in 1987 they got west coast and the bears in the vic league, should have just started a afl national comp like the state cricket league, 6 states, 1 team each

(Log in to remove this ad.)

first post for what? you mocking me? your profile says member since '04, i just joined today

kenny mccormick mr. herbert garrison GIF by South Park

was worse off when in 1987 they got west coast and the bears in the vic league, should have just started a afl national comp like the state cricket league, 6 states, 1 team each
Lol imagine losing the revenue generated by the big 4 clubs who would start a new league the next day in order to have 500 people watch a combined Melbourne team massacre the Brisbane bears

So much better off if you wanted a truly national league.
If you just want a vfl masturbators club then they should have been propped up.

Still have 1 too many Vic clubs before you can rest the competition on a seesaw and say all things being equal, Vic has the same amount of teams as the rest of Australia put together, that's not a nation competition, it's a circle jerk.

The competition could support a team based anywhere probably, read a few times here people saying there are still too many Vic sides, not sure it matters anymore, though I don't go through the finances with a fine tooth comb, but profits are there.

They could bring Fitzroy back into the AFL if they wanted financially if they wanted

The competition could support a team based anywhere probably, read a few times here people saying there are still too many Vic sides, not sure it matters anymore, though I don't go through the finances with a fine tooth comb, but profits are there.

They could bring Fitzroy back into the AFL if they wanted financially if they wanted
It would be cool to see an actual Fitzroy controlled team even in a relocated form like Canberra but the AFL will never let it happen since it would undermine their fake story that they merged with Brisbane rather than just being r*ped by them

It would be cool to see an actual Fitzroy controlled team even in a relocated form like Canberra but the AFL will never let it happen since it would undermine their fake story that they merged with Brisbane rather than just being r*ped by them
Even if they did? What logo and jumper, colours and even theme song would they have? If Brisbane Lions and AFL owns all of this.

At least Port Adelaide still has it’s orginal name.

A little solution could be Canberra-Fitzroy Gorillas.

Even if they did? What logo and jumper, colours and even theme song would they have? If Brisbane Lions and AFL owns all of this.

At least Port Adelaide still has it’s orginal name.

A little solution could be Canberra-Fitzroy Gorillas.
Gorillas or Reds is what I had in mind. I think it’s not possible though as Brisbane/the AFL would never allow it and I assume they now own any version of the old Fitzroy uniforms and logos

I assume they now own any version of the old Fitzroy uniforms and logos

No they don't.

Fitzroy Football Club own the Fitzroy 'FFC' logo. The logo has been trademarked by the Club from 10th June 1998 until at least 10 Jun 2028.

Trademark: 764288.

Fitzroy Football Club can use their trademark on any clothing, footwear and headgear including football jumpers and socks, scarves, shirts, T-shirts, shorts and neckties that they merchandise, irespective of whether the AFL likes it or not.

Here's an example.

Nah it is your history reading that is flawed notion. If Port Magpies had been admitted in 1991 and another club like Norwood a few years on we have two established clubs in league there for SA kids to choose from. Crows were an overnight bastard child in the squabble and jealousy within SANFL circles that Port Magpies were trying to upgrade into the expanded league of AFL at the time. As a result we have franchises from SA rather than established clubs.
If Port and Norwood joined the AFL, many supporters of the other 8 clubs wouldn't follow the AFL at all. They were the 2 most hated clubs by opposition supporters in SA.

I really don't get the "too many teams in Melbourne" argument. Either you're saying you want to contract the league and have less teams, or move them interstate where they'd get less attendance, and less tv viewers. Like if you remove teams/move them, the supporters of those teams will just switch to a new team. The day the Dogs stop playing is the day I stop watching AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Quarter of a century without Fitzroy: Is the AFL better or worse off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back