Alpha1

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Mar 27, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
We all know this kid has a ton of talent, is probably the most gifted of our mid field, but there seems to be something wrong. Is the MC missing a trick by not playing him in the middle? He is a creative force for us and we are using him in a negative/shut down type role. Or is there another problem? Is he carrying that thumb injury and is not totally confident?

Or shudder to even think about this is he just disinterested and is occupied with other things, like his contract? I am not too worried about the contract just yet still early days, but Gibbs needs to find form and I for one would like to see him set free in the middle, we need his creativity and disposal skills, he is wasted playing those negating roles. What do you guys think? Or am I off the mark here on this one?

As an Adelaide supporter i follow Gibbs closely and i cannot understand why he isnt being played in the midfield. He is essential foward of centre and it baffles me why he is played in defensive roles down back. Yes he is solid down back but SURELY you need to develop him as a midfielder. ns whats going on, its crazy.

With Bower and Walker out, the MC are trying to use him to get drive out of the backline. Personally, I would much prefer to see him in the midfield, but at the moment we are really lacking down back.

• Banned
I know we are suffering from injuries to our back line, but I would still rather Gibbs play in the middle, we are robbing the mid field of a creative, skillful, ball getter to play in a negative role.

One of the first things that came to mind when the game started was me wondering why Gibbs wasn't in the middle. I know why they keep him back and it was mentioned above, but he really could have been used in the middle today.

This is hardly a new debate. It is one that has had legs for quite sometime.

When Gibbs plays a shutdown role and comes up trumps, we congratulate the MC. When Gibbs plays a shutdown and he gets beaten or we lose, we complain.

He is probably our best utility overall (Walker and Waite have their moments), and as such he gets played in a variety of positions.

He can still be creative off half-back.

We can all understand to a point as to why he is there, so as set up attacks etc, but l think for Gibbs to take his career to the next level he should be played in the mid-field particularly also to ease the pressure on Judd.

There are a alot of cheap kicks across half back that come his way, and he would be more valve in the mid-field and also enhance his development, as thus far this season whilst he has been good he is yet to take his game to the next level.

This is hardly a new debate. It is one that has had legs for quite sometime.

When Gibbs plays a shutdown role and comes up trumps, we congratulate the MC. When Gibbs plays a shutdown and he gets beaten or we lose, we complain.

He is probably our best utility overall (Walker and Waite have their moments), and as such he gets played in a variety of positions.

He can still be creative off half-back.

Like ToTTi said plus the MC see Carrots and AJ in our 22 and they think their best positions are shutdown roles so when you add Juddy and Murph playing 85% game time, it follows that not everyone can be in the middle (and we have Hadley or McLean more than likely to take a mid spot for grunt). He and Scotty could change roles but the fact is Gibbsy can beat a forward and his body is still developing to the point that he will become fearless like Juddy

He looked a little flat today, I still think he may need something to get himself revved up but he may be playing off half-back due to team needs.

We saw last year in the last 6-7 rounds of the season just how damaging he is when played permanently in the middle of the ground, and although he hasn't hit those heights just yet, I have a feeling that in a full strength Carlton side, he would play strictly in the middle. His "ceiling", or so to speak, is ridiculously high and I think all Blues supporters would love to see him realise his immense potential... in a Blues guernsey:p.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should have been on Hodge all day, matches him for speed, can match it in the air, one on one, has better skills on both sides and as a floating forward set free by Hodges unaccountability across half back, could have been a real game breaker. Is Ratten on acid? Seriously, one week match ups great, the next week....well I guess he was able to score!

With all the gameplan talk over the off-season its a fair bet that our run and usage off the HB line came up a fair bit. With the best all round disposal in the team, and great composure in traffic one can see how Gibbs would be a candidate to steady the ship and provide drive off the HB line. Greater depth through the midfield also makes this possible.

Where does Goddard do his best work for the Saints (though word is he supported Carlton as a kid and we are into him in a big way). Hodge? McLeod? A top shelf operator off the HB line can be every bit as valuable and damaging as a mid. I don't necessarily agree with it but I can see the thinking in trying to develop Gibbs here.

i can see rats trying to re-make the williams-bradley midfield with murphy and gibbs. One aggressive, foward running, goal kicking type and the other a bit more behind the ball, playmaker type. the diff between today and the 90's is that HBF is now part of the midfield as the playmaker/runner.

I've said in numerous threads, if not the midfield, i'd so much rather see him in the forward line, pushing up to the wing. I think he's creativity would make him a fantastic half forward flanker

We've been robbing Peter Burgoyne to pay Bower? Any wonder the poor bastard retired!

Anyone know if these payments have been made in the salary cap? Alarming news if true.

I heard it's going into a special fund to buy a Macdonalds franchise... Ohh hold on, this is the Carlton board... not the bummers board...

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Question on Gibbs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back