Review R12: Port v Bulldogs review

Remove this Banner Ad

Not blaming the umpires, but there was a few holding the ball decisions that they completely missed... Even the commentators seemed a bit confused as to how they missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how the bloke who had an epiphany while eating dumplings at last night and decided to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide at 2am to go to the game and posted about it. I hope you're doin OK man.:thumbsu:
Thanks man. Im doing great. What a game, although i still haven't seen Port win a game here yet. Now tucking into a pizza:pizza:

Another year of missed final and changes needed to be made to avoid it next year, if it happens again people can't say last year was just a one off, next year will be good.
I know it sounds like excuses.
Ryder
Monfries
Schulz
White
Hombsch
Carlile
Jonas
Lobbe all missing would have an effect on any club, Ryder and Hombsch today would have made the difference.

We have so many dumb footballers in our team.

If they just did the basics we would have won the game today...... Boak kicking from 15 metres out in the last qtr when he could have been closer to goal and open the angle up....... O'Shea running half hearted when Stringer kicked that long goal in the last qtr, he could have touched the ball before it crossed the line...... the list goes on and on.

The players fought hard today, the game could have gone either way at the end but we are our own worst enemy at times.

Ryder
Monfries
Schulz
White
Hombsch
Carlile
Jonas
Lobbe all missing would have an effect on any club, Ryder and Hombsch today would have made the difference.

They weren't out there today and we should have won.

In the big picture we can definitely look to our misfortune, but today it doesn't matter. The 22 out there should have won.

A couple of drops yes but dixs looks like he goes for the tap more then rhe mark is that coached into him ??

I noticed that a couple of times too. He needs to go for the mark, not try to gift the smalls goals.

I was disappointed by the result but not the effort. We just lacked the polish to finish them off in the second quarter and when Ebert lifted us with that late goal.

The other difference was that we really did not have an answer for the Bulldog's quick hands around the pack. No matter our pressure, they were too often able to find someone free to then run it out.

One other thing I noticed was our set up from kick ins. We left two of our forwards goal side of their opponents near our 50. That's obviously how we have been able to get a couple of easy goals in past weeks. The thing is, it relies on being able to take a mark or a small to get the spillage. Either way, they need to move it on quickly. The set up doesn't work as well against teams like the Bulldogs who use extra numbers to defend at every part of the ground. We basically ceded them the numbers around the fall of the ball, increasing pressure on the backs.

The criticism of Boak is unfair. Her worked hard all day and was instrumental in getting the ball forward to advantage. Yes, he could have won us the game but so could any of those who missed goals in the second quarter.

Edit: and thanks again to HaaWingard! for the ticket. The seat was awesome! Could have done without the bloke in front who kept repeating himself about us having lost it in the second quarter. He was right but he must have said it a hundred times throughout the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pannell was a bit of a campaigner in the first quarter, and the morons physically got in our way at at least three critical moments in the first half, but aside from that...
That illegal disposal free kick dead in front of goal really got everyone thinking he was going to ream us but we got a few frees from him as well as the others. And although we didn't get that free I wouldn't count it as costing us a goal as we got one within a minute.

Ryder
Monfries
Schulz
White
Hombsch
Carlile
Jonas

and yet it was inconsistent effort that cost us today, against carlton and WCE, win those and we are top 4 and depending on sydney's game % off 2nd spot.

and yet it was inconsistent effort that cost us today, against carlton and WCE, win those and we are top 4 and depending on sydney's game % off 2nd spot.
Yes those close ones cost us big time but what people forget is how many close we won in 2014 which made us look a little better than we actually were.

Yep. Dysfunctional defense. Austin got out of position a fair bit. So did Stewart and co.. was only going to be a matter of time.
This is so unfair. It starts upfield, if you give them time the Doggies foot skills make defenders redundant. Pressure on the ball carrier and work rate to fill space at the 50 was the issue, not man on man defending.

Hawthorn wins those three by a goal and sits 9-3 compared to our 6-6.

This stopped us making finals last year and ultimately prevented a home prelim in 2014.

But yeah, we battled our guts out for another honourable loss.

No, our leaders don't do enough to drag us over the line in these games. They haven't since 2013.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R12: Port v Bulldogs review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back