Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm here because I'm not interested in wading through the "Houston is innocent" dross that's showing up in some other places the issue is being discussed. I thought this might be a place to have a more balanced discussion.
I was probably talking in a more general sense since 2 days ago with the Poort losers cycling through acting like flogs.

I was probably talking in a more general sense since 2 days ago with the Poort losers cycling through acting like flogs.

No worries! It's your board, and I don't want to upset anyone.

No need for anyone here to worry about us in September, either. Crashing and burning is guaranteed with Hinkley and Koch in charge. I hate it.

On McAdam..surely that's the floor for Houston's punishment.

Similar football incident but if anything McAdam was at least arriving, albeit late to contest the ball.

What's got you so pissed off with this poster? Is it passive aggressive type posting?
Not just that flog .. all of them

Some power flog on the MB just referenced Allir and Jones getting concussed. And the Adelaide fans booing them.

Just left out the fact that both of the dopey campaigners were trying to send Thilthorpe to sleep and cleaned up each other instead

And then we witnessed the power coaching and medical staff trying to get them both back on the field

Why have sling tackles been outlawed? There is no initial contact with the head at all.
It's the consequence of the act that is being judged.
If you sling tackle a bloke, a free kick is given.
If the sling tackle results in a head injury, it goes to the MRO.

I don't think it has anything to do with whether Houston connected initially with Rankine's head.
You described well what seems to have happened
--- shoulder high contact to the chest causing Rankine's head to go down and into Houston's shoulder which probably KO-ed Rankine temporarily (a consequence of the bump)
then
--- Rankine fell backwards hitting his head on the ground (another consequence).
It was ugly, reckless, dangerous and unnecessary, since he had the option to tackle.

It doesn't matter whether the concussion was caused by the first or second action.
We'll find out soon enough.
Port supporter here, tell me to f off and I will - but not looking to troll or anything like that. This looks like a genuine conversation which is why I thought i'd like to chip in.

IF it's proven that Rankine's head did indeed whiplash into Houston's shoulder, then it's high contact and it's a big suspension.

However, I have read the post you quoted, that suggests that Rankine's head moving back violently after initially having his body taken from under his head, however I would put forward that his head would violently move back regardless of if it bumped Houston's shoulder or not.

Obviously I have teal coloured glasses on, but i'm not convinved that he has made contact with his head at all - there certainly is a possibility he did, I just don't think the vision is conclusive one way or another. I've seen many people post still images where it may seem like there's high contact, but there's a thing called forced perspective, and I think that applies here. Without the supporting alternate angle, Houston could be well clear of his head and the image would look the same.

There's always talk about alternatives, and clearly he could have tackled - however that only comes into play if the original action is found to be illegal. If he bumped the body, and there is no head contact, then he's performed a legal action and alternatives don't come into play.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the floor did the vast majority of the damage, and that Rankine was conscious up until that point. There is one camera angle that shows his face the entire time, and in slow motion, you can see his eyes move towards Houston as he falls back - and then his head hits the floor and his eyes shut. Obviously there is the possibility he was concussed from the bump itself - but the reverse cannot be true - ie. there's no way anyone can definitively say he was concussed before he hit the ground.

And the main reason I came on this board was to actually look for an update on Rankine and his health - haven't seen anything really posted. Hope he's well, and best wishes - what's the latest update?

On McAdam..surely that's the floor for Houston's punishment.

Similar football incident but if anything McAdam was at least arriving, albeit late to contest the ball.
Houston never had intention to contest the ball though, he was lining up Rankine as per Ken's instructions pre game to target him.

Umpires failed to protect him before the incident.

Port supporter here, tell me to f off and I will - but not looking to troll or anything like that. This looks like a genuine conversation which is why I thought i'd like to chip in.

IF it's proven that Rankine's head did indeed whiplash into Houston's shoulder, then it's high contact and it's a big suspension.

However, I have read the post you quoted, that suggests that Rankine's head moving back violently after initially having his body taken from under his head, however I would put forward that his head would violently move back regardless of if it bumped Houston's shoulder or not.

Obviously I have teal coloured glasses on, but i'm not convinved that he has made contact with his head at all - there certainly is a possibility he did, I just don't think the vision is conclusive one way or another. I've seen many people post still images where it may seem like there's high contact, but there's a thing called forced perspective, and I think that applies here. Without the supporting alternate angle, Houston could be well clear of his head and the image would look the same.

There's always talk about alternatives, and clearly he could have tackled - however that only comes into play if the original action is found to be illegal. If he bumped the body, and there is no head contact, then he's performed a legal action and alternatives don't come into play.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the floor did the vast majority of the damage, and that Rankine was conscious up until that point. There is one camera angle that shows his face the entire time, and in slow motion, you can see his eyes move towards Houston as he falls back - and then his head hits the floor and his eyes shut. Obviously there is the possibility he was concussed from the bump itself - but the reverse cannot be true - ie. there's no way anyone can definitively say he was concussed before he hit the ground.

And the main reason I came on this board was to actually look for an update on Rankine and his health - haven't seen anything really posted. Hope he's well, and best wishes - what's the latest update?

All good mate bit touchy in here at the moment, I'd move on.

Some power flog on the MB just referenced Allir and Jones getting concussed. And the Adelaide fans booing them.

Just left out the fact that both of the dopey campaigners were trying to send Thilthorpe to sleep and cleaned up each other instead

And then we witnessed the power coaching and medical staff trying to get them both back on the field
I remember this clearly and they are correct there was booing. But the booing was actually when they let Allir back on because everyone at the ground knew he'd been KO'd and couldn't believe the negligence from the Port medical staff.

We were booing Port because they weren't keeping their own player safe! At least they are consistent with their disregard for the head and player safety.

It's irrelevant whether contact was made to the head, Houston's action is what caused the outcome.

McAdam for 4 weeks for a lesser incident.

I remember this clearly and they are correct there was booing. But the booing was actually when they let Allir back on because everyone at the ground knew he'd been KO'd and couldn't believe the negligence from the Port medical staff.

We were booing Port because they weren't keeping their own player safe! At least they are consistent with their disregard for the head and player safety.
It wasnt just booing.

Our mod on here posted the racial comments made too.

Port are filthy feral inbred degenerates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was booing because Port as usual were allowed to ignore the rules. By the rules, Allir should never have been allowed to come back on. But Port... and didn't they get fined a truck load of money for doing it?

A portion of the blame for the Rankine incident has to go the umpires.

They failed to protect him, when clearly the Port players were under instructions to target him before the game.

Imagine when we were leading if we received those free kicks when they were targeting Rankine and it led to goals? Houston potentially would have been less likely to have wanted to take him out.

Neither were stretchered off and they want to make the comparison lol. Which home crowd has ever booed off a stretchered opposition player?

A portion of the blame for the Rankine incident has to go the umpires.

They failed to protect him, when clearly the Port players were under instructions to target him before the game.

Imagine when we were leading if we received those free kicks when they were targeting Rankine and it led to goals? Houston potentially would have been less likely to have wanted to take him out.
they’ve encouraged it all year by going soft on sniping

It was mentioned by another poster early in this thread. I've forgotten who it was, sorry (anybody remember, please?).

In fact, he listed that incident and others (by PA), showing it is a PA pattern and no coincidence.

The AFL have had years to send a message to Clubs that do/did it; they have failed, totally.

Here's an idea: how about fining a Club (a big fine, 100K or more, a massive disincentive) when one of their players gets at least 4 matches for a Houston- or Peppapig-style hit? That'd include Rankine this year.
Just a hypothetical/speculating ... :think:.
Will there come a time whereby a coach who instructs his players to target an opposition player be held libel for any injuries caused.

Last edited:
Never were stretchered off and they want to make the comparison lol. Which home crowd has ever booed off a stretchered opposition player?
And waving goodbye.
That's not an audible thing, but it's maybe more condescendingly disgusting than the booing.

How low can you go to do that from the cheap seats to a guy in that situation.

View attachment 2084835

This still clearly shows his shoulder in his neck. Do we know what is connected to the neck? The jaw. And what is the jaw part of? The head.

Thank you for coming to Anatomy 101.
Looks like maybe probably he clipped the jaw, but you gotta make some assumptions. The medical report to the tribunal will be interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back