Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't disagree about the midfielders and ruck - but our defence is pretty good considering the amount of easy ball constantly bombarding them. Not sure about using too much draft capital on Luko though, as he's playing ressies atm. I see him as a possible link up high half forward, delivering into the key fwds - if we can get him for the right price.
Our defence has held up all year really well, it just lacked continuity. Each week it was a merry-go-round of Butts, Worrell, Murray, Borlase and Keane. Worrell, Murray, Keane, MM, Hinge and Bond should be our back 6 for '25

Luko has token draft capital, 2nd/3rd rounder swaps etc (or a player). The dude is costing GC almost $1M a year to be fairly average, if the Crows were happy to basically take his entire contract amount then we would have a deal. Only us and perhaps St Kilda / North have that sort of cap space.

Looked like Hinge played a bit of time on the wing on the weekend. I would like him to play that role but he seems to struggle in it / be else effective than he is at half back. We are desperate for an elite winger, would be great to see someone play that role and lace out our key forwards. Would be great if Hinge / Dawson could alternate depending on what the game needed but we need more depth to our mid before we can contemplate that
Agree with this.

We're overstocked with behind the ball players and understocked elsewhere.

All of these guys have been first choice down back at various stages this season:
Butts, Murray, Keane, Worrell
Michalanney, Nankervis, Hinge, Bond, Milera, Laird

Even Dawson heads down there at times. Ryan doing well in the reserves.

Smith on the outer, Hamill & Borlase looking like depth only.

Not to mention KPD Curtin...

There's a lot to unpack with the Rankine bump

I don't think Houston is a thuggish player whatsoever, which is no defence and shouldn't impact the tribunal's decision here, just fwiw

It seemed like the Port players by instruction were trying to get under Rankine's skin all game, niggle, take his mind off the footy, get into him verbally and physically. Nothing wrong with that. Legitimate tactic given that Rankine has shown himself to be vulnerable in the past.

However, it seemed like the Houston bump was an unintended consequence of Port's approach. The team plan to get into him spilled over, and when Houston had a chance he opted to bump rather than tackle, or take any undue care at all.

If it had been another player, I doubt Houston would have done what he did. If the same situation presented itself the week before, I doubt Houston would have done what he did. A perfect (or imperfect) storm of sorts.

I'll be interested if anything comes of the wider discussion point - Port targeting Rankine physically. They're not the first team to do this by any means (lots of clubs try to crash into Max Gawn at every opportunity for instance to wear him down, because of how influential he is). And whether this practise gets looked at or even broached. I imagine that's what Nicks was querying with Hinkley after the game.

Said exactly this on CrowCast last night. Houston's actions weren't a natural thing for him to do and had Hinkley's instructions to target Rankine written all over them.

Said exactly this on CrowCast last night. Houston's actions weren't a natural thing for him to do and had Hinkley's instructions to target Rankine written all over them.
It's like a bowling attack peppering the opposition with bouncers to intimidate

All well and good until someone gets hit in the head

PA has a history of hurting oppo players to reduce their effectiveness.

It’s like some of you blokes started watching football about three months ago.

This is what good teams do.

If you want to complain about something, complain that the piss-weak club you support just stands there and cops it, and doesn’t employ any Machiavellian tactics of its own.

Ir seemed when they realised it was Rankine in various scenarios they slammed in, piled on, knees, those half punch tackles, Dixon done for striking him etc so yeah.
David King said it last night which surprised me someone came out with it.

Maybe Hinkley, but it's got Josh Carr fingerprints on it..

If you want to complain about something, complain that the piss-weak club you support just stands there and cops it, and doesn’t employ any Machiavellian tactics of its own.
Has a club of nice guys ever won a Grand Final.

It wouldn't have bothered me if 6 of our guys got reported while we were deliberately softening them up for finals, especially after seeing a favorite son getting knocked out cold. You can guarantee if our ladder positions were reversed, that's exactly what they would have done to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got them nowhere though

Does anyone think there's potentially some bullshit afoot with the careless adjudication?

I'm pretty sure I've heard it mentioned before that if you have the option to tackle, but you decide to bump that it's deemed as an intentional action.

My gut feel is the AFL is setting up the stage for a three week suspension so that Houston will be available for the GF if Port make it.

Agreed. Certainly feels like it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's a lot to unpack with the Rankine bump

I don't think Houston is a thuggish player whatsoever, which is no defence and shouldn't impact the tribunal's decision here, just fwiw

It seemed like the Port players by instruction were trying to get under Rankine's skin all game, niggle, take his mind off the footy, get into him verbally and physically. Nothing wrong with that. Legitimate tactic given that Rankine has shown himself to be vulnerable in the past.

However, it seemed like the Houston bump was an unintended consequence of Port's approach. The team plan to get into him spilled over, and when Houston had a chance he opted to bump rather than tackle, or take any undue care at all.

If it had been another player, I doubt Houston would have done what he did. If the same situation presented itself the week before, I doubt Houston would have done what he did. A perfect (or imperfect) storm of sorts.

I'll be interested if anything comes of the wider discussion point - Port targeting Rankine physically. They're not the first team to do this by any means (lots of clubs try to crash into Max Gawn at every opportunity for instance to wear him down, because of how influential he is). And whether this practise gets looked at or even broached. I imagine that's what Nicks was querying with Hinkley after the game.
Not according to Tredrea. On his call he said he lined him up from a fare way back.

The irony of this statement shouldnt be lost here, it was Port having history of targeting Gawn as well.

Thug Club.

AFL needs to send a message this week.

Last edited:

It wouldn't have bothered me if 6 of our guys got reported while we were deliberately softening them up for finals, especially after seeing a favorite son getting knocked out cold. You can guarantee if our ladder positions were reversed, that's exactly what they would have done to us.

And if the roles were completely reversed on Saturday night posters would all be in here saying how great our tactics were.

Look, I get it, we all hate Port’s guts, but if you want to be angry, be angry at the club that allows itself to be completely manhandled like the Crows were on Saturday night.

Houston is going to pay the price, but everything other than that falls under the category of brilliant tactics by Port.

I’m f*cking jealous, not angry.

1997. :$

In 1998 we had Roo in the team. :p

And if the roles were completely reversed on Saturday night posters would all be in here saying how great our tactics were.

Look, I get it, we all hate Port’s guts, but if you want to be angry, be angry at the club that allows itself to be completely manhandled like the Crows were on Saturday night.

Houston is going to pay the price, but everything other than that falls under the category of brilliant tactics by Port.

I’m f*cking jealous, not angry.
As I posted earlier could grove a **** about their tactics prior but knocking a bloke senseless is poor.
Effective for that game yes.

Seems there is a common narrative that he didn't hit him in the head. some angles it looks like he didn't but others it does.

Be interesting what tribunal finds and what medical evidence crows provide. They going to protect Houston or throw him under the bus?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back