Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Shouldn't have lined up a bloke and concussed him in rd 23 if he didn't want to miss finals ¯\(ツ)
In real time, it was instinctive .....Houston knew it was Rankine though, and probably takes another course of action with any other player

In real time, it was instinctive .....Houston knew it was Rankine though, and probably takes another course of action with any other player
Watching the footage again with an eye on Houston. The only footy instinct there is that (to his "credit") he reads the flight of the ball before anyone else, and also realises its going straight to Rankine. From that point on he's lined Rankine up from some distance (probably ~12m) with the intent of smashing into him. There's no visual sign he intended to tackle or try to win the ball.

One thing out of all this, we all need to understand.

Players should no longer bump, or at least to the extent it can hurt a player.

It is pure luck whether you cause a concussion.

You intend to hurt, this happens.

Houston waa not intending to concuss Rankine, but his intent was to hurt him. He even said so in his evidence he would normally tackle. Pretty obvious all week the Port coaches instructed to niggle/hurt Rankine. Not take him out, but make him "earn it". Houston saw his chance and went for it.

Normally he would have tackled.

Losing the opportunity to play in a grand final would be crushing to me.

In hindsight he probably shouldn't have used his statement to explain why he's requesting a trade away from Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine having the gall to say it would be really devastating to miss playing in a grand final, after you lined up and concussed a bloke.

Here's a tip Dan, if you don't want to miss a grand final, maybe don't bump a bloke high next time.

Here's a second tip, if you actually want to play in a grand final, you might want to seek a trade.

"I've played in many finals, but never in a grand final. Losing the opportunity to play in a grand final would be crushing to me."

Nice little assumption there, Dan.
Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

Imagine having the gall to say it would be really devastating to miss playing in a grand final, after you lined up and concussed a bloke.

Here's a tip Dan, if you don't want to miss a grand final, maybe don't bump a bloke high next time.

Here's a second tip, if you actually want to play in a grand final, you might want to seek a trade.
I like they specifically said they didn't GAF about missing finals.

I like they specifically said they didn't GAF about missing finals.

It's pretty funny, because everyone knows the AFL does take into account the possibility of missing a GF in certain cases. Cotchin, anybody?

But for the player to come out and request it be taken into account is pretty funny.

If one of our players had done this and also expressed his intention to leave the club, I would be absolutely fuming and quite happy to send them in their way.

They are an unusual lot down the road.
They know Houston being out significantly limits their chance of winning finals. Imagine they are all terrified of another straight sets exit.

One thing out of all this, we all need to understand.

Players should no longer bump, or at least to the extent it can hurt a player.

It is pure luck whether you cause a concussion.

You intend to hurt, this happens.

Houston waa not intending to concuss Rankine, but his intent was to hurt him. He even said so in his evidence he would normally tackle. Pretty obvious all week the Port coaches instructed to niggle/hurt Rankine. Not take him out, but make him "earn it". Houston saw his chance and went for it.

Normally he would have tackled.
It’s been known for a long time now that if you elect to bump then there are potentially consequences depending on the outcome. Power supporters are only getting the memo tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R23: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back