Preview R6: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Saturday 9th @2:10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogs may be tired after the Sydney game, but they'll have had an extra days rest. FWIW our game, while not a slog in the heavy going like the dogs, was still pretty tough & intense all-round the ground & our blokes were completely buggered by the final siren.

We'd be kidding ourselves if we think the Dogs will come out 'more fatigued' than us

Dogs may be tired after the Sydney game, but they'll have had an extra days rest. FWIW our game, while not a slog in the heavy going like the dogs, was still pretty tough & intense all-round the ground & our blokes were completely buggered by the final siren.

We'd be kidding ourselves if we think the Dogs will come out 'more fatigued' than us

Maybe, but the "emotion" of such a big win can play a part also. Might be hard to get up and bring 100% motivation to this game. Sounds like b/s but it happens so regularly I think there is something to it.

Stringer the danger man for us.
Would love to see Roo play on the wing and allow the forwards to keep working together.

They have at least lost Cooney and Higgins who cut us up last time. Stringer is a gun but Bruce is having some kind of season and they should be worried about him. Their spread of goals kickers is probably our biggest worry. We are a bit reliant on too few.

Maybe, but the "emotion" of such a big win can play a part also. Might be hard to get up and bring 100% motivation to this game. Sounds like b/s but it happens so regularly I think there is something to it.
On the flip side, it may be us that is flat after losing a very winnable game... But i hope your right, I do feel like the Bulldogs game last week was a mini-Grand Final for them & most teams are flat the week after those ones

On the flip side, it may be us that is flat after losing a very winnable game... But i hope your right, I do feel like the Bulldogs game last week was a mini-Grand Final for them & most teams are flat the week after those ones

Absolutely, it could definitely be us that comes out flat. However, I think the additional wild card of both teams having big games last week is probably still a good outcome for us, because if both teams produce their best, we lose. I am clearly seeking additional reasons why we might win this week;)

Also depends who comes in for us. don't underestimate the addition of Roo and Joey... and fresh legs.

That said, it will once again be up to our mids to set the standard. Armo and Steven are in superb form, it's up the support crew and how well they play.

I think we have to stop thinking that the only reason we would omit a player is because they're "dropped" or incapacitated (what we usually mean by "injured"). There can also be that their loads are being managed.

For mine, Sincs has been great, but I see no problem with him going down to the VFL after four games. Not only does that allow a player who, right now, IS better than him to come in (Joey), but it allows him to be managed to ensure he doesn't lose games later from wear-and-tear injuries tipping him over to being incapacitated.

Sincs learns a lot playing AFL... but he can learn lots playing VFL - maybe not as much, granted, but still some good stuff. He would learn significantly less if he's incapacitated.

So, for mine,

IN: Montagna, Riewoldt.
OUT: Dunstan, Sinclair.

The outs are purely for management, not form or incapacitating injury. Joey to do some of the midfield grunt work that "Lenny Dunstan" was doing (as my dear four year old daughter calls him! :D). Roo to play as a roaming utility causing havoc everywhere like he did in the Suns game.

Nobody thinks give Roo 3 weeks regardless?

Its an old man injury that can be reoccurring...

So, for mine,

IN: Montagna, Riewoldt.
OUT: Dunstan, Sinclair.

The outs are purely for management, not form or incapacitating injury. Joey to do some of the midfield grunt work that "Lenny Dunstan" was doing (as my dear four year old daughter calls him! :D). Roo to play as a roaming utility causing havoc everywhere like he did in the Suns game.
I don't think Montagna has ever been an inside grunt player -he is an outside runner and finisher. Armo and Dunstan are the grunters!

Out - Savage (inj), Sinclair (manage)
In - Montagna, Saunders

Id give Roo 1 more week off, then a week in the VFL to blow the cobwebs out before we play WCE at Etihad.

Saunders to tag Bob Murphy. McKenzie the sub.

Dempster - Delaney - Geary
Webster - Fisher - Montagna
Roberton - Armitage - Schneider
Billings - Bruce - Hickey
Lonie - Membrey - Saunders
Longer - Weller - Steven
Dunstan - Newnes - Acres
McKenzie

Id give Roo 1 more week off, then a week in the VFL to blow the cobwebs out before we play WCE at Etihad.

Longer - Weller - Steven
Dunstan - Newnes - Acres
McKenzie

Roo will quite rightly tell Richo to go **** himself if he was ever made to play in the VFL I'd imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In - Montagna, Saunders

Longer - Weller - Steven
Dunstan - Newnes - Acres
McKenzie

Roo to the VFL is a joke
Saunders can't kick so another crap kick in the backline is no good. Unless his disposal improves his papers should be stamped. When we improve there will be no room for unskilled triers like Shenton, Saunders and Geary

Roo will quite rightly tell Richo to go **** himself if he was ever made to play in the VFL I'd imagine.
Yeah, I reckon that kind of player management might have seen Watters go on a permanent holiday. You would have some huge nads to leave him out when available. Worst case he drags their best defender all over the ground until they blow up. If they don't respect him they get 3+ goals scored on them. Bruce will love having him next to him.

Imagine how much pressure it will take off Roo if Josh Bruce can be a 40 - 60 goal a year player, Roo might enjoy his last couple of years of Footy not being double and triple teamed

Imagine how much pressure it will take off Roo if Josh Bruce can be a 40 - 60 goal a year player, Roo might enjoy his last couple of years of Footy not being double and triple teamed

It is plausible that next year we have 5 20+ goal kickers IMO. Roo, Bruce, Membrey, Billings & Lonie. A Saints outfit with a multi-pronged forward line. Wowee, feels like it has been a while.

It is plausible that next year we have 5 20+ goal kickers IMO. Roo, Bruce, Membrey, Billings & Lonie. A Saints outfit with a multi-pronged forward line. Wowee, feels like it has been a while.
Imagine if we could use Spencer like we used Gilbert forward. Just a big mobile runner that no one can manage. Send Members into the midfield to break some opposition bones. He was really good around the ground against Essendon.

Roo to the wing, forward line stays the same, but with Roo pushing in there at every opportunity for a 1-on-1 marking contest. They have Bont running around the ground at 194cm and we have Roo doing the same at around 196cm. Perhaps they even go head-to-head.

Joey onto the other wing, with spells in the guts and I'd say Acres and Mckenzie (who both played wing at times last week) to go back to the VFL, where they can be better for the experience in the seniors and really hungry for more when their next chance arises.

Sinclair gets himself a lovely piece of green apparel to wear.

Booya!

You're welcome. :thumbsu:

I just like how we are 1 & 4 and we are still positive about the club and we can see we are on the right track

Roo to the wing, forward line stays the same, but with Roo pushing in there at every opportunity for a 1-on-1 marking contest. They have Bont running around the ground at 194cm and we have Roo doing the same at around 196cm.

Joey onto the other wing, with spells in the guts and I'd say Acres and Mckenzie to go back to the VFL, where they can be better for the experience in the seniors and really hungry for more when their next chance arises.

Booya!

You're welcome.

Like it but for Mc Kenzie to stay in and someone else get the lemon and sars. He was actually really solid. I thought Sinclair probably had a lesser game despite liking him a lot. Webster looked a bit rusty to me and I would almost swap Wright in.

I just like how we are 1 & 4 and we are still positive about the club and we can see we are on the right track

I think Sinclair looks like he could be the type of mid that could score heavily too long term. Eli likes a goal too. Lots more avenues all of a sudden.

According to the injury report on the Saints website yesterday, Savage trained fully yesterday. Sinclair will likely be going back onto the rookie list in as few as 2-3 weeks, so he can play a part of this week's game and then have a week off if needed when Seb comes back.

I think it would be an error to send Acres back to the reserves after playing a quarter of seniors. Sends a poor message IMO. Work hard to get promoted get given only a quarter of footy then demoted. I think someone else will make way. Possibly Sinclair or one of our many back flankers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would be an error to send Acres back to the reserves after playing a quarter of seniors. Sends a poor message IMO. Work hard to get promoted get given only a quarter of footy then demoted. I think someone else will make way. Possibly Sinclair or one of our many back flankers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing 2 quarters of footy over a few weeks doesn't improve your footy though either. He was pretty average last week and we probably don't want anyone who can't play at a high output this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back