Rank the non-Victorian derbies in terms of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

You changed my quote and and completely ignored my follow up post where I corrected myself by saying the rivalry in WA is more intense than the ones in NSW and QLD. Cheers mate.

Its much like the EPL where 95% of the "Bad Blood" between the SA clubs is built up from off field, other than a few cheap shots from Ricciuto and Carr, there was that 1 time Biglands tried to take out Byron, nothing else other than some good nice footy.

Never really see any here from interstate on our tv.

Well im sure you have a really good view on the OPs topic.

Looking at OP's post it seems he wants a number from 1 to 4.
I have most interest in seeing new club from scratch battle their old and established clubs on same region.
This means GWS battles v Sydney would be 1 as also best chance of seeing them near top together too,

2 should be Gold Coast v Brisbane but Lions so down it is not much achievement to beat them at present.
As a result Adelaide v Port Adelaide will be 2 for now.

3 Fremantle v West Coast.

4 Brisbane v Gold Coast has little interest whilst they both lower levels on ladder. Would be way more interesting and rank a lot higher interest for me if two clubs from non-traditional footy states become a power at same time.

I unlikely to see any of these match ups unless they meet in finals in second or third week.

"Battle of the Bridge" for Swans-Giants is so inaccurate since the bridge goes North-South, while it's really a East-West rivalry.

Sydney Classic, or just "The Classic" ... "yeah, we got the 'Classic' next week, we should be ready for 'em"
While it is a silly name. Its not the Harbour Bridge they are talking about but ANZAC bridge.

Eagles and Dockers fans have a modicum of intelligence and respect for each other. In the same way that lighting flares and starting brawls is not 'passion', constant shit talking and failure to ever act civilly between fans does not make a bigger rivalry, it makes you children shitting in the sandpit. It's just a game you SA guys, relax a little hey. And stop pretending this is an age old battle between Port and the rest of SA, it's two franchises competing from the early and mid 90s.

The WA rivalry is far better because it's passionate at the game, but can be light hearted banter outside it without turning all Ramsgate-y. The main Vic rivalries are non existent at this point, no one goes to them or watches them when the teams aren't going well, but it's great between teams who are near the top of the ladder. It's bandwagon grabbing rather than tribal, most Vics hate the interstaters more than their own inter-city rivals. WA is great too because Fremantle and West Coast is almost like a Fremantle v the rest of WA battle, with the great history of East and South Fremantle personified in one team, representing history in the port city since the 1800s. It goes back much further than the teams themselves.

1. West Coast v Fremantle
2. GWS v Sydney (new I know, but Sydney has a real divide between the West and the rest, you can feel that in the intensity when the teams play)
3. Adelaide v Port (Pretty good, I like it)
4. Brisbane v Gold Coast (could be higher up in the future, no real incidents to speak of yet)
Labels SA rivalry as a 1990's franchise clash & then the WA rivalry as some battle with roots stretching back to the 1800's lol.. I sense a salty sheen.

Est. 1870 :rainbow:

Adelaide - plastic franchise
Port - the same club from 1870, but with a plastic makeover in 1997
West Coast - plastic franchise (i admit it)
Freo - plastic franchise running on the coat tails of WAFL South/East Freo for history
Brisbane - plastic franchise that took over a VFL club's carcass
Gold Coast - plastic franchise no one wants
GWS - plastic franchise no one wants

Sydney - pure old school VFL club that simply just moved, not plastic

Last edited:
Freo - plastic franchise running on the coat tails of WAFL South/East Freo for history

You're seriously a moron

Last edited:

So your bored and are trolling Mr Junkie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

most people are sledging you however there is an element of truth

swans are a club that transferred cities

port got into the afl on their history but they added teal & called themselves power

i tend to look @ the eagles and crows being the teams that represent the wafl & sanfl in the national league

freo has never played a game in fremantle

the lions , gc and giants are all american style franchises est. in the head offices of the afl

most people are sledging you however there is an element of truth

swans are a club that transferred cities

port got into the afl on their history but they added teal & called themselves power

i tend to look @ the eagles and crows being the teams that represent the wafl & sanfl in the national league

freo has never played a game in fremantle

the lions , gc and giants are all american style franchises est. in the head offices of the afl

The AFL has head offices in brisbane gc and homebush? Wow they are spread.

Oh how are the lions "american"?

The AFL has head offices in brisbane gc and homebush? Wow they are spread.

Oh how are the lions "american"?

not sure if you are p15s taking but i will bite

that's the point - freo , brisbane lions , giants & gc were all formed @ the AFL's head office in MELBOURNE !!

Eagles and Dockers fans have a modicum of intelligence and respect for each other. In the same way that lighting flares and starting brawls is not 'passion', constant shit talking and failure to ever act civilly between fans does not make a bigger rivalry, it makes you children shitting in the sandpit. It's just a game you SA guys, relax a little hey. And stop pretending this is an age old battle between Port and the rest of SA, it's two franchises competing from the early and mid 90s.

The WA rivalry is far better because it's passionate at the game, but can be light hearted banter outside it without turning all Ramsgate-y. The main Vic rivalries are non existent at this point, no one goes to them or watches them when the teams aren't going well, but it's great between teams who are near the top of the ladder. It's bandwagon grabbing rather than tribal, most Vics hate the interstaters more than their own inter-city rivals. WA is great too because Fremantle and West Coast is almost like a Fremantle v the rest of WA battle, with the great history of East and South Fremantle personified in one team, representing history in the port city since the 1800s. It goes back much further than the teams themselves.

1. West Coast v Fremantle
2. GWS v Sydney (new I know, but Sydney has a real divide between the West and the rest, you can feel that in the intensity when the teams play)
3. Adelaide v Port (Pretty good, I like it)
4. Brisbane v Gold Coast (could be higher up in the future, no real incidents to speak of yet)

I agree. While I can appreciate the vigour of the SA rivalry, I much prefer the Perth flavour myself. It isn't all about "us vs them" in an "I'm gonna bash your face in you purple campaigner" kinda way. If anything, the sarcastic jests, shit hanging and tension on the train to the derby, at the pub either end of the derby, and the day after the derby is one of the best things about the WA Derby.

I mean, I'd hate to be a Crowd/Port supporter and fear of being glassed just for walking into the wrong pub with the team scarf on. The brawling and verbal abuse is all well and good on game day amongst the most passionate, but otherwise give me the shit hanging that comes with loathing the fellow WA team. It's one of the best things about being a fan in WA.

1. Adelaide vs Port Adelaide
2. West Coast vs Fremantle
3. Sydney vs GWS
4. Brisbane vs Gold Coast
5. Hawks vs Kangaroos

Yeah this is annoying. Especially when we get something like Western Bulldogs vs Carlton instead.

Here in Qld Hawthorn could be playing Sydney and we'll get the Suns v Dees game on FTA. Lucky I have Foxtel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank the non-Victorian derbies in terms of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back