1) Geelong

2) Hawthorn,
Bulldogs

3) Port, St. Kilda

4) Brisbane, Carlton, Richmond

5) Sydney, Adelaide, Collingwood, North Melbourne

6) Essendon, West Coast

7) Fremantle, Melbourne

Each line = new bracket of quality. First listed = best in each bracket, last worst.

I expect Carlton and Richmond to move into bracket 2 by end of 2010 however, with Bulldogs entering bracket 1.

Midfield Rankings

1. Geelong - Ablett, Ling, Corey, Sellwood, Bartel.
2. Hawthorn - Mitchell, Lewis, Bateman, Sewell, Hodge.
3. Port Adelaide - S Burgoyne, K Cornes, Pearce, Rodan, Salopek.
4. Richmond - Delidio, Cousins, Tuck, Cotchin, Foley.
5. St. Kilda - Ball, Hayes, Montagna, Goddard, Dal Santo.
6. Western Bulldogs - Cooney, Griffen, Cross, Giansiracusa, Boyd.
7. Brisbane - Black, Power, Johnstone, Rischitelli, Sherman.
8. Sydney - Bolton, Kirk, Goodes, McVeigh, Buchanan.
9. Carlton - Judd, Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson, Stevens.
10. Adelaide - Thompson, Van Berlo, Edwards, McCleod, Goodwin.
11. North Melbourne - Harvey, Harris, Simpson, Wells, Rawlings.
12. Collingwood - Pendlebury, O'Bree, Thomas, Swan, Davis.
13. Essendon - McVeigh, Prismall, Lovett, Watson, Dempsey.
14. West Coast - Priddis, Embley, Fletcher, Kerr, Rosa.
15. Melbourne - McLean, McDonald, Jones, Green, Bruce.
16. Fremantle - Palmer, Hasleby, Schammer, Headland, Dodd.

I gave it a go. I'm sure there'll be disagreements. I ranked them on how balanced the midfield and the workload that was carried between 5 midfielders of each team.
I agree with most of the rankings but i think you've seroiusly underated the blues. as much as i hate to admit, it i believe they are going places in 09, largely due to their improved midfield brigade.

Geelong 10/10
Carlton / Hawthorn 9.0/10
Port Adelaide / West Bulldogs 8.0/10
Richmond / Brisbane 7.5/10
StKilda 7/10
Kangaroos / Sydney 6.5/10
WCE / Adelaide 6.0/10
Melbourne / Collingwood 5.5/10
Essendon 5.0/10
Fremantle 4.5/10

It is amazing how consistently our midfield beats midfields above us yet we are so low. :p

I think the only midfield that has been clearly above ours has been Geelong. Given our success against Dogs and Hawks in the middle, the proof isn't in the pudding that they are significantly above us.

It is amazing how consistently our midfield beats midfields above us yet we are so low. :p

I think the only midfield that has been clearly above ours has been Geelong. Given our success against Dogs and Hawks in the middle, the proof isn't in the pudding that they are significantly above us.

We match up well against the Doggies and the Hawks, but our midfield was pretty horrid in patches last year. *cringes* Think the Sydney final...

Midfield Rankings
16. Fremantle - Palmer, Hasleby, Schammer, Headland, Dodd.

Dodd and Headland?

Dodd will be a lucky man to make the 22 and Headland is a half forward flanker now who has a run through the middle.

If we are going to be ranked in the bottom wrungs of this let it be with the blokes who will actually be playing there -

Palmer, Ibbotson, Mundy, Hasleby/Schammer & Crowley

FWIW - If Freo do end up throwing Pavlich in the middle with Palmer, Mundy & Ibbo we would jump up 4 or 5 places on this list but be a poorer team for it.

i rate him a fraction better than chris knights. so what does that make christopher? :eek:

Saying Grigg is better than Knights is like saying Shirley is better than Nick Stevens.

Utter twaddle.

Midfield Rankings

13. Essendon - McVeigh, Prismall, Lovett, Watson, Dempsey.

I gave it a go. I'm sure there'll be disagreements. I ranked them on how balanced the midfield and the workload that was carried between 5 midfielders of each team.
How you have put Dempsey and Prismall in our best over Welsh, stanton and lonergan is astonishing

Here's my effort.
9.5 - Geelong
9.0 - Hawthorn
8.5 -
8.0 - Bulldogs
7.5 - Port Adelaide, Carlton
7.0 - St. Kilda
6.5 - Brisbane, Richmond
6.0 - Adelaide, Sydney, Collingwood
5.5 - North Melbourne
5.0 - Melbourne, West Coast
4.5 - Essendon
4.0 - Fremantle

I think that's about right, Sampler, though I'd bump Richmond up a notch or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9.0 - Geelong
8.0 - Hawthorn, Port Adelaide
7.0 - Richmond, Carlton, Western Bulldogs
6.5 - St. Kilda, Brisbane
6.0 - Collingwood, Sydney
5.5 - Adelaide, North Melbourne
5.0 - Essendon
4.5 - Melbourne, West Coast
4.0 - Fremantle

In todays football of the zone you have 12 midfielders after the bounce so the term midfielder has no real place in the game. All players are needed to play that role running from one end of the ground to the other. The team with the best lists(cats, hawks) have the best midfield as a midfield can only be judged by the depth of the team, not a couple of star players.

Good call, and in some degree helps explain Collingwood being competitive without having much top shelf talent in the midfield or a dominant ruck to help them. Our small forwards all rotate through there and Davis, Medhurst, Thomas and Didak add much needed depth.

Its also amazing how often your midfield gets beaten by sides midfields considerably below you. Using your logic can we argue that Sydney, Adelaide and even Port have better midfields then North?

Stanton - Has no polish nor accountability. Great endurance level and penetrative kick but for me that's where it ends.

It was out of Welsh or Dempsey, I gave it to Dempsey for his creativity and leg speed, Welsh tends to bomb it out of the middle without much purpose (other than kicking it forward). Two of the biggest issues for Essendon's midfield last season was accountability and kicking skills, Welsh has the accountability, Dempsey has the kicking skills. Welsh does however provide a fair deal of grunt/aggression which is why the decision was difficult.

Dempsey in my opinion is all class. You can't have Watson, Welsh and Stanton in the midfield at the one time in my opinion. Someone needs to hit a target.

There were always going to be disagreements.
dempsey has struggled to even get game time. while stanton is probably our best midfielder behind mcveigh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rate the midfields.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back