Review Rd 1 Carlton v Richmond Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Might have been mentioned already in this thread - with the Tigers taking a good three and a half quarters to put away a Blues outfit that performed as it did last night (the margin was only 19 at 3/4 time), then they are in trouble too.

Richmond weren't that good, it's because we made them look good

:(

How were his marking and kicking in general?
Marking was ok but not spectacular. He did spend a lot of time in the ruck.
According to Webster's critiques, Levi only took 2 marks for the game (& only 9 disposals) despite spending a lot of time in the ruck. This tells me he is way down on form & confidence & therefore nowhere near senior selection.

In a similar vein, there is a number of people suggesting Dyl Bucks should be promoted to the seniors for next week's game yet his pre-season form has been quite ordinary & according to Luke Webster the club is working on his defensive side & will continue to work on this. At this stage I would suggest he is also some time away from getting promoted to the seniors.

Might have been mentioned already in this thread - with the Tigers taking a good three and a half quarters to put away a Blues outfit that performed as it did last night (the margin was only 19 at 3/4 time), then they are in trouble too.

I'm amazed at how many times I've read this, our core midfielders had shitful games by their standard due to the 4 hard tags mick employed so I can see room for huge improvement there and when was the last time a Richmond side got dragged to a comfortable victory by its "depth" like last night. If I remember correctly GWS made Sydney look second rate and The Hawks fell over the line against the bombers in the first round last year.

Just my two cents I just think writing us off after an average "win" in round one is a bit harsh.

I'm amazed at how many times I've read this, our core midfielders had shitful games by their standard due to the 4 hard tags mick employed so I can see room for huge improvement there and when was the last time a Richmond side got dragged to a comfortable victory by its "depth" like last night. If I remember correctly GWS made Sydney look second rate and The Hawks fell over the line against the bombers in the first round last year.

Just my two cents I just think writing us off after an average "win" I'm round one is a bit harsh.

No point having to justify a win to neutral supporters. GWS of all teams pushed the Hawks at the G last year. They still won the premiership.

Lets be honest with the "4 hard tags" thing though. Dusty is not a genuine midfielder. He's a high half forward. Sure he goes through the midfield on occasion, but he's a half forward. If Curnow or Carrots (Carrots was great last night, Cotchin was no where to be seen despite everyone talking about how he's at peak fitness) or any other midfielder played on Dusty, he'd kick 8 goals from the goal square. White on him was a master stroke as he couldn't rag doll him like he does pretty much all of his other midfield counterparts. I dare say many other coaches will use that tactic this year as a result.

And as good as Bell was at getting in and getting the ball, he makes Mitch Robinson look composed. He gets it and bangs it as long as he can every time he gets it.

And our mids were poor on the outside with decision making and disposal efficiency, but we absolutely destroyed them in the clearances despite having Wood in the ruck. Plenty to work with going forward.

Just my two cents I just think writing us off after an average "win" in round one is a bit harsh.

This ain't the banter thread Knackers, so unless you want to play by our rules get back in your own den!

According to Webster's critiques, Levi only took 2 marks for the game (& only 9 disposals) despite spending a lot of time in the ruck. This tells me he is way down on form & confidence & therefore nowhere near senior selection.

In a similar vein, there is a number of people suggesting Dyl Bucks should be promoted to the seniors for next week's game yet his pre-season form has been quite ordinary & according to Luke Webster the club is working on his defensive side & will continue to work on this. At this stage I would suggest he is also some time away from getting promoted to the seniors.

Casboult got dropped for NAB Cup performances and Buckley was dropped after the game over here. No wonder they are down on confidence.

Docherty was our best player on Thursday night despite his average nab form. Playing ruck in the VFL isn't going to help Casboult and Buckley's AFL form was miles ahead of his VFL form last year.

Casboult got dropped for NAB Cup performances and Buckley was dropped after the game over here. No wonder they are down on confidence.

Docherty was our best player on Thursday night despite his average nab form. Playing ruck in the VFL isn't going to help Casboult and Buckley's AFL form was miles ahead of his VFL form last year.
We had no other ruck. What are they supposed to do, just let the Hawks play a ruckman uncontested?

This ain't the banter thread Knackers, so unless you want to play by our rules get back in your own den!

Apologies, probably the wrong place for my rant. Lots of nuetrals love slipping the boot into both our clubs at any opportunity even after winning games.

Good luck against the Eagles next week you guys will be better for the run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Casboult did not kick a goal during the NAB Challenge playing predominantly as a forward. On that form you could not pick him.

Buckley's form fell away in the 2nd half of last year (injuries didn't help) & as I stated in my previous post, the club has identified that he needs to work on his defensive side. Unfortunately, unlike the Hawthorns, Geelongs & Sydneys of this world, we aren't good enough to allow this learning to happen in the seniors.

Both these players needed to come out in today's VFL practice match & make every post a winner to push for selection. They didn't therefore it is highly unlikely that either of them will come under consideration this week.

We had no other ruck. What are they supposed to do, just let the Hawks play a ruckman uncontested?

It was a VFL praccy match. We had something like 18 AFL listed players playing, they had 0, and we still lost. Pretty sure you just play your AFL players where they need to play to benefit the AFL team.

Casboult did not kick a goal during the NAB Challenge playing predominantly as a forward. On that form you could not pick him.

Buckley's form fell away in the 2nd half of last year (injuries didn't help) & as I stated in my previous post, the club has identified that he needs to work on his defensive side. Unfortunately, unlike the Hawthorns, Geelongs & Sydneys of this world, we aren't good enough to allow this learning to happen in the seniors.

Both these players needed to come out in today's VFL practice match & make every post a winner to push for selection. They didn't therefore it is highly unlikely that either of them will come under consideration this week.

They played one of the best teams in the VFL and Casboult was playing in the ruck. He only played 2 games in the NAB despite Mick saying otherwise. 1 was the horrible WC game and the other was against Collingwood where Hendo also didn't get a kick. Buckley only played 1 and that was the WC game. I don't want Casboult to be playing as a part time forward. Stick him at CHF full time and tell him to run his guts out for those marks. That is the only position that he has had any success at all at both levels.

Doesn't feel like either one of them got a chance to shine to me.

Nobody in our NB's was great today from the looks of it.

Dissapointing. Round one often brings up enigmatic results, but what worries me is that the Tiges didn't play very well and our decade-old deficiencies are still there. Thursday night told me we're gonna have another roller coaster season.

Unfortunately, agree with the posts on Murphy's captaincy. Not sure there's any nice way of rectifying the situation.

On the plus, White and Docherty did well, and some of the new guys showed potential.

Irrespective of expectations, it still hurts.

Last edited:
They played one of the best teams in the VFL and Casboult was playing in the ruck. He only played 2 games in the NAB despite Mick saying otherwise. 1 was the horrible WC game and the other was against Collingwood where Hendo also didn't get a kick. Buckley only played 1 and that was the WC game. I don't want Casboult to be playing as a part time forward. Stick him at CHF full time and tell him to run his guts out for those marks. That is the only position that he has had any success at all at both levels.

Doesn't feel like either one of them got a chance to shine to me.

Nobody in our NB's was great today from the looks of it.
I was there yesterday. Saying no one played well is unfair to Tutt, Whiley, Ellard and Foster.

Malthouse does not gift games to players who don't deserve them. Casboult does not deserve a call up based on his NAB form and his game yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 1 Carlton v Richmond Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back