Review Rd 1 Carlton v Richmond Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

G'day Carlton board - just want to share a few thoughts.

Went along last night and what astounded me was how slow the Blues have become. There was a time no too long ago when they'd carve sides up with speed and Richmond were the victims of that a number of times. Also, hardness and aggression at the contest and ball looks well down too. Puzzles me that players like Betts and Garlett (the latter had behavioural issues no doubt) aren't kept around to preserve what speed the team has, and McLean who was always in and under, to preserve hardness at the contest. Those three named always used to hammer Richmond time after time.

Casboult not playing was a howling decision too. Thought he could have added an extra dimension up forward for the Blues - even if not marking, crashing packs and bringing the ball to ground. It's again puzzling that for years Carlton has been crying out for a key forward, and they have one in Casboult, yet he's not played on the big stage.

The Blues just looked shot in both areas of the game - offensive and defensive. The amount of times the Tigers would have players spreading and linking up all over the ground just killed you guys.

Fitness is another big issue too. Play for a quarter and a half then switch off for the rest of the night. The Blues simply had no answer from the moment the Tigers kicked a goal to bring the margin back to 15 points in the second term. Is it a fitness issue or are they mentally fragile, or is it a combination of both?

Thomas going off in the first five minutes didn't help, but one player out of 22, with a sub as well, is really not an excuse for playing as poorly as the Blues did after 45 minutes last night. They got 20 odd points up even when he was off the ground.

Major issues with Carlton's list and psychology I reckon. The current predicament made Ratten's game plan look plausible.

Just my thoughts and observations.

Cheers

Might have been mentioned already in this thread - with the Tigers taking a good three and a half quarters to put away a Blues outfit that performed as it did last night (the margin was only 19 at 3/4 time), then they are in trouble too.

SOS passed on Wingard for 2 reasons -

1. Wingard said as clearly as AFL rules allowed, that he would leave GWS as soon as his contract was up.

2. Port agreed to trade Cornes and Brogan for nothing on the proviso that GWS let Wingard slide.

Both count as draft tampering but it happens every year.

Ill be blunt in where I think the real issue in Carlton's list development and drafting is - The messiah complex.

When Judd came in he was going to make Gibbs and Murphy elite players. When Warnock came in he was going to be Sandilands 2.0. When Thomas came in he was going to be the missing piece of a top 4 charge.

I think Mick has actually done well to curb these expectations and get a better balance in the squad overall but it means he is left with too many similar types as seen last night.

You cant carry both Carrazzo and Curnow on the inside with Judd and Cripps. White and Everitt cant both be taggers.

Personally I would play Curnow inside, Everitt outside.

Drop Carrazzo and Jaksch (unlucky) and play White as the third tall defender while bringing Casboult in as the forward/ruck.

Smith now knows the level he needs to reach. Put him back in the two's and give Buckley his chance. Can't run the risk of him being forced to play 3/4 of a game.

Boekhorst comes in for Daisy as that hard running hff/wing.

Your 22 last night read better than theirs so the failing is either coaching, structural or mental. For all the shit he cops Mick knows what he is doing so I can only put it down to the latter 2 issues.

Just an outsider's perspective.

Excellent post :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might have been mentioned already in this thread - with the Tigers taking a good three and a half quarters to put away a Blues outfit that performed as it did last night (the margin was only 19 at 3/4 time), then they are in trouble too.
That is what hurts. Most of us are realists when it comes to where Carlton are at but we also know the media hype up Richmond based on nothing more than the fact that their coach has been there long enough now .... in the media's opinion for their supporters to expect some success

Out - Carrazzo (forever), Touhy (could be harsh), Thomas, Smith (though I like the lad)

In - Buckley, Boeky, Casboult and Byrne

Jaksch on notice or out if he sustained an injury (have a feeling he did).

Henderson to the backline. Casboult up forward.

It could get ugly out West, but get some run in those young legs, and let Tuohy know he's gotta go find some form. He's been out of it for a year now.

We need someone providing a contest and structure.

None of our forwards are going to be kicking bags soon on current form.

I get that BM but you still haven't told me how goals are going to come from the contest. If we bring Levi in we need a small forward (I'm thinkin' Tutt) to run past him and get the ball so he can finish it off.

Lots of work do, the performance definitely showed up we are two to three quality mids away on top of what have to have good quality mids pushing up and back between the lines for a full 120 mins.

I get that BM but you still haven't told me how goals are going to come from the contest. If we bring Levi in we need a small forward (I'm thinkin' Tutt) to run past him and get the ball so he can finish it off.

He will drag a defender away from Hendo and Jones which leads to a less congested forward line.
Or we could let him toil away in our average 2nd's team and hope he kicks a bag there with sub par delivery.

BTW why is Casboult rucking at VFL level?

Only forward we have with any presence with awesome marking and we are hoping that he kicks a bag as a ruck man?

Give up on the Leigh Brown crap we need a KPF more then a part time ruck right now. How is his kicking supposed to improve after a few knees to the ribs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 1 Carlton v Richmond Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back